Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you everyone for coming, supporting it was nice to renew some of our annual friendships.

Here are the stats: After careful review we had to disqualify the Blue Marlin at 127 pounds, the 250 pound Tarpon and the 6 pound Northern Pike that were weighed while my second in command was in charge of the clipboard.

We had 177 rods in the water and 127 anglers. 54 fish were caught. Dave Hannah was the winner at 10 pounds, 13 oz fish, Bill Davis finished second at 9.13 and Albert Marino was third with a 9 pound dogfish. The tournament decked a weighed 54 fish with numerous being just caught and released and not weighed. All were Spiny dogish. Blowtoads were being caught throughout the day as well. 1st, 2nd and 3rd paid out $442.5, 265.50 and 177.00 respectively. The 3 winners also won a season pier pass.

Tip of the cap to Will Price, Jacob Thompson and Jeremy Fulton who donated custom made prizes to the event. A grand total of 343 pounds and 2 oz of dogfish were weighed.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thank you everyone for coming, supporting it was nice to renew some of our annual friendships.

Here are the stats: After careful review we had to disqualify the Blue Marlin at 127 pounds, the 250 pound Tarpon and the 6 pound Northern Pike that were weighed while my second in command was in charge of the clipboard.

We had 177 rods in the water and 127 anglers. 54 fish were caught. Dave Hannah was the winner at 10 pounds, 13 oz fish, Bill Davis finished second at 9.13 and Albert Marino was third with a 9 pound dogfish. The tournament decked a weighed 54 fish with numerous being just caught and released and not weighed. All were Spiny dogish. Blowtoads were being caught throughout the day as well. 1st, 2nd and 3rd paid out $442.5, 265.50 and 177.00 respectively. The 3 winners also won a season pier pass.

Tip of the cap to Will Price, Jacob Thompson and Jeremy Fulton who donated custom made prizes to the event. A grand total of 343 pounds and 2 oz of dogfish were weighed.
Those are some jumbo spineys:cool:

I have got more than few myself on the OBX but I would think the largest would have been but 4-5 pounds and that is out of hundreds upon hundreds of these rascals...well to tell the truth thousands upon thousands they can get pretty thick in early spring at the Point when one is trying to get the season's first Drum off the Point...I have a permanent red dot on my right forearm as testament...

Those prize amounts are real appealing too...

My main questions would be why was only one Blue Marlin caught? and why would it not count for some kind of lower prize amount like say $2.00? Also did your second in command happen to grow up in San Francisco during the late 1960's?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) The second in command had a little trouble verifying the catch with witnesses. The last 2 years we have caught bigger dogfish then we have in the previous 9 events most of the time the winning fish is around 5 pounds. All were caught in the last 1.5 hours of the tournament. Everyone was catching toads all day long and there were several people filling their coolers with them and didn't even care about catching a dogfish after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts