Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
So far nothing has been put on the fish and game website. If I am not mistaken there is no fee at this time but there may be a "nominal" fee in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what i heard and read, won't be a fee for a few years, then it will just be an administration fee.

They are trying for the license in NJ for 2010

The license is a good thing, the problem is if we are charged, where does the money go?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
License

From what a friend of mine has told me who works for fish and game, Surf is correct. It will be free to start, but there will be a "nominal" fee. I also agree with Surf on what to do with the money. It should go back into conservation and help build piers and artificial reefs etc, etc. If they can do it for hunting they can do it for fishing. Here's what I pay for my paperwork for hunting.

All around sportsman lic-(includes firearm lic, Bow lic and fresh water fishing license. $72.50

State duck stamp- $5.00

Phes & Quail stamp- $40.00

Fed Duck stamp- $15.00

Extra buck permit shot gun $28.00

Extra doe permit shot gun $28.00

Extra buck permit BP-$28.00

Extar doe permit BP- $28.00

Total: $244.50

Just for paperwork. I don't mind paying it cause it's what I love to do. I know that part of the money I spend goes towards conservation, education etc and that is a good thing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
From what i heard and read, won't be a fee for a few years, then it will just be an administration fee.

They are trying for the license in NJ for 2010

The license is a good thing, the problem is if we are charged, where does the money go?

The current Fisherman has the latest info about the license for NJ they were slating it for 2010 now it looks like around 2011 / 2012. Still trying to figure out who's pocket the money will go into.

Rich

·
Registered
74 Posts
NO saltwater fishing license!

NO WAY will a saltwater fishing license ever be a good thing when the government is managing the money collected.

We didn't need it before, and we don't need it now. Anyone with their head screwed on right knows that money will end up in the pockets of politicians and their lackies supported and appointed by them.

How did we ever get along without it? Very well, thank you. Let's keep it that way.

- http://www.jcaa.org/JCNL0901/0901FMLR.htm#License

Feds: http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/mrip/ab...ds/national_angler_registry_press_release.pdf

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
...it's gonna happen either way. That's New Jersey.
It will if nobody stands against it. It wasn't so long ago that this same thing was proposed, and the campaign against was so loud and long that it ended up in the dumper. That's exactly where it belongs.

I hope those still around who remember what happened then will resurrect their opposition to it the closer it gets, just as they did then. 'Guess we'll see, won't we?

:fishing:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I guess we will. I for one see no problem with a salt water fishin license at all. Yeah there is no way to know where the money is going to go. Same with hunting, 5 posts up ya see what I pay for paperwork for the sport I love. Does ALL of the money I pay go to conservation? I doubt it. Does some do, yes it does. It's a sign of the times. Look at the states down south that require licenses. I'd be willing to bet they are in the same boat. Not ALL of the money goes back into conservation, piers, artificial reefs and the like. Ya don't see them cryin and gettin their panties all twisted. They pay the fees for the sport they love. I fish Slaughter Beach in Delaware during Drum season. One of THE best spots in the area. Why shouldn't I pay for a Delaware licesnse or better yet get a Captains license which covers everyone on the boat. It's the sport I love. From the LEO side of it, the fees that are paid help put more Fish & Game officers out there to stop the scumbag poachers from taking undersized fish. The state shpuld also revamp the size limits on fish across the board. They are rediculous. What the state should do is require ALL out of state people to get a license and the the poeple that live here year round alone.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Here's what I pay for my paperwork for hunting.

All around sportsman lic-(includes firearm lic, Bow lic and fresh water fishing license. $72.50

State duck stamp- $5.00

Phes & Quail stamp- $40.00

Fed Duck stamp- $15.00

Extra buck permit shot gun $28.00

Extra doe permit shot gun $28.00

Extra buck permit BP-$28.00

Extar doe permit BP- $28.00

Total: $244.50

Just for paperwork. I don't mind paying it cause it's what I love to do. I know that part of the money I spend goes towards conservation, education etc and that is a good thing.

Thats a lot of fees. I don't hunt but pay my share of fishing fees:

MD Tidal/fresh/trout fishing
MD OSV permit (AI MD and AI VA)
MD State Park permit

All others are out-of-state!!!

DE Fishing license (fresh and saltwater)
DE Surf permit (OSV)

PA Fishing license (Pocono's bass, pike, musky fishing)

NY Fishing license (Trout fishing, Hudson River striper fishing)

National Park Permit (All USA National Parks)
============

Over $500 per year - every year! :eek:

Maybe NJ next year (got to try it - saltwater fly fishing, stripers and blues)...

I'm broke before I fish...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
553 Posts
Fishing Licenses

Well a Saltwater License is like your drivers license you don't know where the money goes but you have to pay for it to drive. If you dont want the license then dont buy it and stop fishing. I'll buy it if I have to to keep fishing because I dont let anything stand in my way to go fishing.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A buddy of mine was from Michigan. At one time, they offered a LIFETIME hunting and fishing license (guess they needed the money that year) for $300. He bought his kids (ages 5 and 7) each one... Talk about a deal - huh?

RD - You're right - we'll pay whatever it cost to fish until we die.

"...In our life's allotment of time, God doesn't count the days when we go fishing, because he knows we're already in heaven"
- George Buckley, CEO - 3M Company (avid fly fisherman)

Sandcrab

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
A buddy of mine was from Michigan. At one time, they offered a LIFETIME hunting and fishing license (guess they needed the money that year) for $300. He bought his kids (ages 5 and 7) each one... Talk about a deal - huh?

RD - You're right - we'll pay whatever it cost to fish until we die.

"...In our life's allotment of time, God doesn't count the days when we go fishing, because he knows we're already in heaven"
- George Buckley, CEO - 3M Company (avid fly fisherman)

Sandcrab
Well said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We will not have a choice very shortly. Here in De, DMS gathered support to impliment our own state GFL. There was federal monies offered matching 3 to our 1 dollar for those states who could institute their own. The only reasons why some are going to have a lic. is one, the NMFS wants better data on rec. fishermen and two, well lets face it, the fed gov't is broke.

Here in De. we have a dedicated fund for the money generated by the GFL. These monies cannot be borrowed against of used in any other purpose than for fisheries issues. That is boat ramps, shad ladders, fisheries management, reefs and much more. A portion of that money goes to our Finfish program.

We have also instituted a Fishermens Identifaction Number (FIN) to comply with the MSA that now required a study base of rec. anglers. This FIN is free, it is like a HIP for bird hunters.

By the way, the fed. lic. money goes to NOAA and the Treasury. Your local fisheries will never see a dime of it, unfortunately. That is why we instituted our own GFL. At least we get to keep the money for the future of our fisheries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.