Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
took my dad out to chesapeake bay bridge pier for his b52nd b-day sat. got their around 4pm and stayed until 9pm. we were using cut finger mullet, shrimp and squid. on the pier there were around 20 people fishing and there were only 4 fish caught that i saw. a young lady caught 2 4 inch croakers and my dad caught 2 as well. on the way out i saw a SMALL flounder about 8 inches.

we then headed to ovp at 9:45 and stayed until 11;am and caught 20 small croaker, about 5 inches. we still had fun at both piers just hanging out.

this monday fished two spots in chesapeake at the intercoastal waterway by myself. caught 4 puppy drum (all about 19 inches and released), 5 bull heads (10 inches or so, released), 1 white cat (12 inches, released), 3 bowfin (10 inches, released). i used shrimp and finger mullet for the cats and pups. and i used a few different top water lures (rapalla?) and minnows for the bowfin. on my last cast this big hit and a splash, after fighting for a few i pull up my personal best bowfin! 23 inches and about 5 or 6lbs.
i have a pic of the bowfin on my cell. i will post it in a few.

1st ever post. happy b-day dad (april 24th)!! you taught me well!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice Report and welcome to the board. I too fished with my Dad and I have taught all three of my sons to fish. I still say the best days fishing are with my boys, Soooo I know your Pop had a great birthday. Pretty Work.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I will have to look up the bowfin as im sure I have caught one but didnt recognise it as such. Glad you and your dad had a great time out and welcome to the board. What type of rigs were you using? If you go to walmart pick up a spec rig or 2 and put a small piece of shrimp on the 2 hooks and put a squid strip for a tail and you will wear them out as that is a great bay rig for the areas you fished. Good luck and hope he has many more birthdays as nice as this one. Thanks for the report too!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.