Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I've been holding my breath for a couple of months in case this trip fell through. Looks like everything is a go for the first week of August. We will be driving out on Monday the 4th and driving home Sunday the 10th.

The guy I'm riding out with will have to work in Winston Salem T,W,T. When he's done on Thursday he'll drive out and meet me at the beach. Another buddy of mine (DB) lives outside Winston Salem and he's taking me to the beach Monday night.

I'm stoked for my first trip to the point. Not sure where we are staying yet...any suggestions for camping around there? DB is checking around, but thought I'd get input from some of you.

Also was wondering about any head boats that run out to the Gulf Stream. Thinking about spending the $$ and going out one day. Info on a good boat, pricing, where, when, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Check Drum dums place for a place to stay. Then Buxton Beach motel or Lighthouse view. You are not going to be able to get to the point proper because of the Concent Decree in effect right now. There should still be good fishing around 49. Also if you are not able to drive on when your bud is working you can walk on at the jettys and get into some decent fishing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already know what I'm going to be doing...fishing! No need for vacation package info. My focus will be to have bait in the water for the MAXIMUM amount of time while I'm there:fishing:...oh, and to drink some beer :beer:

I already got the info on Drum dums place and forwarded it to my buds. I know DB and I are more interested in camping on the beach than anything else. I normally stay at the freeman beach on the North end at CB.

What is the closest area at Hatteras you can still drive onto the beach? I know at FF you can "fish all night" as long as your not camping. That's what I was looking for...I'll pass out in my camping chair next to my rods and wait for a clicker to wake me up ;)

Can you walk to the point at Hatteras? If so, what kind of grueling hike is that? Or did they make it off limits to humans?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not be able to fish the point as well as several other areas. :(

They are closed due to a consent decree brought about by DOW and Autoban.

Check with Frank at Frank and Frans for open locations to fish.

·
3,775 Posts
ALso, campiong on the beach is a no-no in hatteras

I already got the info on Drum dums place and forwarded it to my buds. I know DB and I are more interested in camping on the beach than anything else. I normally stay at the freeman beach on the North end at CB....
Besides, with the consent decree, you have to be off the beach by 10:00 pm.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ryan, figured I had given him enough bad news and would let someone else tell him this part.

But, looking at it as you write it, it does not come any better in small doses. :(

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I went out on the Miss Hatteras out of Oden's Dock. Full day Gulf Stream was about $110. Bottom fishiing only. Caught sea bass, trigger, gag grouper, blues & snapper. Saw a few sharks pulled too! The captain was awsome. Put us on some good holes and kept ya working. Have fun...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Even with the consent decree you can walk to the beach and fish after 10, correct?
Correct. But, you still cannot go to the Point at this time and several other areas are off limits.

Be careful where you wander to when you walk at night or you may end up with a "Boyle" on your arse. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I already know what I'm going to be doing...fishing! No need for vacation package info. My focus will be to have bait in the water for the MAXIMUM amount of time while I'm there:fishing:...oh, and to drink some beer :beer:

I already got the info on Drum dums place and forwarded it to my buds. I know DB and I are more interested in camping on the beach than anything else. I normally stay at the freeman beach on the North end at CB.

What is the closest area at Hatteras you can still drive onto the beach? I know at FF you can "fish all night" as long as your not camping. That's what I was looking for...I'll pass out in my camping chair next to my rods and wait for a clicker to wake me up ;)

Can you walk to the point at Hatteras? If so, what kind of grueling hike is that? Or did they make it off limits to humans?
Redhorse. I hate to be the bearer of bad news as do the rest of the folks here,although,even before the consent decree,camping on the beach was not allowed,even though many still did it.. With the consent decree,you can't be on the beach past 10pm...
Many areas are closed,but 55 is open at the rip as well as much of the beach on the ocean side... They've been catch'n pups,spainish,pomps, and seamullets,as well as a big drum if ya hit the right spot and tide......
Aug is usually a pretty slow month here,but you can catch pomps and seamullet,not like you can in the spring and fall,but they are here...

Miss Hatteras is your best bet $ wise for a party boat... Spurgen will put you on some bottom fish at a reasonable price,nice boat as well...

·
3,775 Posts
Actually no

Correct. But, you still cannot go to the Point at this time and several other areas are off limits.

Be careful where you wander to when you walk at night or you may end up with a "Boyle" on your arse. :eek:
My understanding was that you couldnt be on the beach after 10:00 pm....A little clarification please here?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the bad news guys...might not get to fish the point but I'm gonna fish somewhere! If I can hike out to the point and fish it for a day I might do it just to say I did.

Fishing is never great when I'm there anyway...so it will be par for the course :rolleyes:

The extent of my camping on the beach, is falling asleep in my lounge chair next to my fishing poles cause I can't keep my eyes open anymore. If I can't do that then I guess we'll be staying at your place Drum dum :popcorn:

I'll pass along the info on Miss Hatteras to my partners in crime. Sounds like the price is right anyway...

Hope to see some of you on the beach if we can swing it.

Chopper MD...your link did not come through correctly, and I can't find "Miss Hatteras" by doing a search (tried a couple different ways). Got a better link? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
thanks Kenny....HOw have you been lately? We ve been trying to get out bottom fishing down here lately....Clydes been wearing them out but not me....
Haven't been,cause most of the good weather is during the week... Got some new numbers I'm going to try whenever the timing gets right...
Lookin forward to the striper tourney and our beaches being open again,as they already should be...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.