Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
This will be my 1st trip to Myrtle Beach area. I'll be down there this weekend Dec 5th. I consider myself to be an average fisherman, but I’ve never fished for any salt water species before. I plan to bring with me a 7’ MH telescopic rod, paired with a 35 series saltstriker spinning reel packed with 150yrds of #30 power pro. I plan to fish the piers, do some crabbing and if possible find some of these little clams.
http://www.gulfspecimen.org/images/catalog/m-760.gif

I was wondering would this be an adequate setup for most fishing situations out there? I plan to pack fairly light, maybe some weights, swivels, hooks or I might just buy tackle down there. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The clams will be buried deep in the sand right at the highest point the water reaches.

I'd plan to fish the piers for flounder using a Carolina-type rig baited with a live mud minnow. You can buy the rigs pre-made just about anywhere or you can make your own with a swivel, an egg sinker and a 2/0 circle hook.

Evan

·
Registered
281 Posts
Should be fine with that outfit. Pier is best bet to fish and get tackle. Would try Apache or Cherry Grove. Bottom rigs with #6 hooks - blood worms or cut shrimp.
People picking up a few but, not mopping up. Some trout and spot tails still about along with the whiting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. Sounds like bottom fishing is the norm, but does anyone bobber fish at all? It’s easier for the GF to see the bite. Also, are those clams found year long or only seasonal?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I fish a cajun thunder and a mud minner or finger mullet in the creeks. I have put one and seen peeps use floats near the pier piles. Some floated out with tide too. Is good when spanish are around. Best with live minners.
Like kingfish said - a minner on a carolina rig on bottom next to piles is good to.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
in fact harvesting season for clams is now(license needed). if ur looking for clams for bait, just get mullet,mud minnows, or shrimp isntead. to get clams u have to get into the marsh digging around. for live bait, a cast net around docks in the inland salt marsh areas will probably still rpoduce bait. right now, fishing is slowing down but trout, floudner,m adn reds are probably still around.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Coquina stew is pretty tasty, but they're tiny little devils. If you want "real" clams, go for local littlenecks. Much easier to buy them at a fish market than to wade through mud to dig your own. In addition to needing a recreational saltwater license, you can only legally harvest shellfish from marked state or recreational grounds.
Don't even consider poaching from commercial ( may get you shot at, will get you ticketed) , non marked or closed areas (E-Coli or other equally nasty organisms, PCB's etc)

I harvest my own oysters and clams from state grounds when I go kayaking, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like they might be more hassle then they are worth, but everyone tells me they're GREAT!!!!
Delima's I tell ya...
I want to say thank you everyone, helping me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thing everyone forgets is that for someone from out of state to use a cast net for bait, we need a non-resident recreational fishing license too.
(Hate to see any one get a ticket.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts