Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished in Edgemere today on the south side of Miller Island Rd, on a friend's pier, facing south toward North Point State Park. High tide there was about 8am.

Arrived at 6:30am and the dawn was red, orange, blue and beautiful! But the fishing wasn't. Wind was light and blowing from the SW.

Used 3 rods all with frozen elwy and 4/0 J hooks. Got 3 good hits and 3 medium hits, but I just wasn't fast enough. And naturally no matter which pole I was holding I would get a hit on one of the other poles.

Talked to some other fishermen a couple of houses down from my friend's pier. They were all using lures some of which were: Tony Acetta(sp?) spoons (approx. 3"), Broken Back Rebels (about 5") and assortments of Rattletraps. They got no hits.

Left at 11am and bought some circle hooks, 4/0. Don't think they'll be wide enough to get a good chunk elwy on them. But they'll have to do, cause that's the biggest the bait store had.
I may go there again Fri. morn. barring rain and high winds.

Hope you folks do better over the holiday and all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Fishing has been tough just about everywhere on the bay. The 4/0 circles will work if you size the chunks accordingly. Try Walmart on North Point. I bought some 8/0 and 10/0 there this summer but that doesn't mean they have them now. The marine weather for Fri. and Sat. looks rough: SW winds at 15 - 20 knots, waves 3', and showers. That's enough to keep my boat tied up. Thanks for the report. Nice to hear what's going up in the upper bay. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Catman.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Catman,
Thanks for the North Point Walmart idea. Down the road from me there's a new Walmart on the old Golden Ring Mall property. They seem to be specializing in fresh water gear. But the last time I was there I wasn't looking specifically for larger circle hooks. I'll check again there first and then try North Point if necessary. But I don't have the courage or the patience to go to a store on Balck Friday.

I'm glad you included the circle hook size info too, because I wasn't sure about what sizes would be best. I was hoping someone would respond with a size recommendation and where you can find them - and you did.

I had a really nice Thanksgiving. I cooked dinner for my younger daughter (mid-twenties) and her new boyfriend. She finally brought one over that I like! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving too!

Regarding Upper Bay fishing reports, I would really like hear what other folks are experiencing. But maybe there's not much interest in this part of bay. You were the only one who responded to this original posting. And as of right now there have only been about 30 views since 11/26.

I think I'll start another thread and put a call out and see what the response is.

Blue Heron

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey Blue, don't let it bother you that there's not much response. Most of the gang doesn't even know that the bay goes north of SPSP let alone Edgemere.:D You've got to remember that these are pier and surf fishing folks and have very little knowledge of the fishing opportunities in your neck of the woods. It requires local knowledge like you have to be successful up there. Please don't stop posting your reports. Sooner or later you'll receive a PM wanting to know how and where to fish. The boaters surely know that the upper bay is very productive. This spring you should participate in some of the activities we have going on. Once you meet a couple of guys and gals it will all come together and you'll know you're no longer a long distant member of the family. Just don't tell the Warriors about your secret spots, they'll come up and clean it out. Keep the posts coming.:)

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
There is life past SPSP????? :p I have been as far as 695 bridge but that is it. that place sounds interesting...hmmmm:D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
In a few weeks I might even post a Conowingo Report;thats even further up the Bay.I hear they're catching Walleye on Bass Assasins.Alot of people I know fish there alot for Stripers under the Dam.;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey Blue, see what I mean? He's already trying to get his foot in the door.:mad: Just kidding of course, he's a great guy to fish with. Do you ever fish the warm water discharge at the Carroll Island plant? It's been a few years since I was there but it was some of the best winter fishing around.

Catman.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Pappy, Conowingo was my home waters for about 30 yrs. After they restricted the hours and eliminated night fishing after 9/11 I haven't been back. The area below the dam in probably the most productive water in Maryland. On any given night you could catch rock, walleye, white and yellow perch, channel cats, monster carp and an occassional brown trout, no to mention the tons of white and hickory shad during the spring. If you were a regular there you quickly learned to fish the power generation schedule as that determined current flow and water level.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I 've heard of alot of diffrent areas to fish up there from the guys I work with.I hear there also a warmwater dicharge near Harbor Hospital off Hanover/Potte Street.I might even fish there on a cold January night with my buddy Mr Jones of course

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Pappy, don't fish Harbor Hospital at night if you value your life. It's right next to Cherry Hill where the police don't even like to go. Bad place, bad bad place.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Any of these areas up in the city can be bad;Its good to bring a buddy along.Just joking about being there at night;that time of year its probily too cold to fish at night anyway even if I have big cohonehes.:D :cool:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your encouragement Catman.

I will continue to post Upper Bay reports - but not every time I get skunked. If I get skunked too much, you guys/gals may no longer want to consider me a "distant member of the family." I fully intend to attend a couple of P&S events next season and I will definitely show up at SPSP or Kent Narrows when some of the other members are going. And FLF, the Warriors and all P&S'ers are welcome up here. If I ever find a secret fishing spot I may not tell the Warriors where it is, but if I learn where the Rock are starting to hit up here I'll certainly let everyone know.

Regarding your question, "Do you ever fish the warm water discharge at the Carroll Island plant?":

Yes, I've caught some really nice catfish at the Carroll Island plant (aka Power Plant) in the spring & summer. I go accross the little bridge and down the path on the left about 2 hrs. before dusk. A lot of people get some really nice carp out of there too. I saw one guy (about 6')carrying a carp on a stringer that went from his shoulder to the back of his knee.

One of the fishermen I mentioned at the top of this thread goes to the Power Plant to fish the warm water discharge (off the right side of the bridge) for bass, as soon as Rock season is over. I've not been there then but he, as well as, other fishermen have told me it is quite productive.

Also during Feb. & sometimes thru early March there is usually a great run of white and yellow perch at the Power Plant (again the warm water discharge). I don't remember which species comes in first. Last year I saw people with stringers of 5-10 white perch from 12-14" long. That same fisherman says he got a lot of them too. As you know, that little bridge gets mighty crowded that time of year.

I don't go there too much any more because the bridge and the spots from shore can get pretty crowded.

Blue Heron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts