Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wound up my vacation and headed back home yesterday. Fishing wasn't outstanding, but the last couple of days proved to be fun.

Friday there was a good NE wind, so I headed for Sandbridge. Baits were in the water by 7:00 a.m., and my first big run happened around 7:30. Unfortunately, I missed whatever it was. A few minutes later, I had another run and pulled up a 23-inch puppy drum, quickly followed by a two or three pound blue.

Digger showed up and we fished for a few more hours, then packed it in for burgers and beers before hitting the Va. Beach oceanfront. When we got to the 14 St. pier, it looked like everyone was flinging Rat-L-traps for stripers. As it turned out, a full-on spot run was happening. We set up in the surf but as luck would have it, we couldn't reach the fish and the surf was full of garbage from the storm. Since we didn't feel like standing elbow to elbow on the pier, we headed for the beach in front of Duck Inn.

Once there, we put out rods with peeler and bloodworms. The peelers produced pretty well. In the next couple of hours, I got a small speck, several little black drum, four stripers and a nice croaker. Digger caught a speck that was about 20".

The next day, I went back to the Va. Beach pier, hoping for a repeat of the day before. No dice. The wind was out of the west and everything was dead.

I went back to the same spot in front of Duck Inn, stopped in for a beer, and hit the beach. No stripers this time, but tons of little black drum, a small speck, huge croaker and, around midnight and dead low water, lots of big spot out on the flat as far as you could cast.

I wouldn't worry that the spot are gone yet. Another good blow and all the piers should clean up on them.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Well no repeat of last year but sounds like you had a good time. Looks like you are going to have to concentrate on fishing the MD/DE area for now. I still hear they are catching big drum at AI. Looks like a road trip is in store again!:D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I'd toss in a few photos.

Here's the very drummy looking Sandbridge surf Friday morning.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a beautiful Lynnhaven Inlet sunset...I'll be staring at this photo from my desk for a long time. :(

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
dude that is one messed up yard. I am surprised you got any fishing done. My grandparents would of been like there is the chainsaw get to work!:D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Beautiful sunset dude , aughta be on a postcard :cool:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yes the yard was a mess(so was my parents) and that was a great Sunset. Thanks for the Skinny Striper pic. I enjoyed fishing with you again. Warn me when you come back down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts