Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing to build out my arsenal, and after fishing this past Wednesday at Topsail, I realized I really need a rod to chunk heavy weights when the surf and wind are whipping. We had a gorgeous day but the wind was sustained 15 and gusting over 20 out of the south/south east, so our casting was crap and the hold on even a 6oz frog weight was non-existent for the 3 hours before high tide. We ended up switching over to sputniks which helped some, but my 11' TFO is only rated 3-8 and really doesn't like much more than 6oz, and my other rods (Tica and Daiwa Saltist) are both rated up to 3oz.

So here's my question: Recommendations on rods that aren't 13-14' or longer that can easily handle 8oz sinker plus weight? I won't necessarily be looking to distance cast, but my thought is that by adding this rod into rotation, when the conditions don't call for that type of weight just to hold, I can still load it up and make it the big daddy that throws out big chunks for sharks, rays, big reds, etc with my 7500 Slammer III. But when conditions demand, I can use it to throw closer with heavier weights and actually get it to hold with anything from my Cabo 50 to a Battle II 6000.

I really love the specs on the 11' and 12' ODM Jigsters. The 12' is 5-12oz and the 11' Extreme is 6-12oz. However, I'll be dammed if I am going to pay $500 for either of them with only a 1 year warranty! I'll pay $700 for Century with a lifetime warranty before I do that!

Any recommendations? I'd like to be around $200-$250, but would go up to $400 if there is a rod that folks know works really well and is backed by a solid warranty from a reputable company.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Should have added: I found Tica makes 11' and 12' variants of the TC2 and TC3 Dolphin that are rated 6-12, and come in at $199 and $217 respectively, but no one has them in stock. If I could find one in stock, I'd go ahead and buy it. I've got an older TC2 Medium 9' my Dad gave me and its an awesome little rod with a super fast and sensitive tip.

Also interested in the new 12' St Croix Seage. Initial reviews are good and it is rated 6-16oz for $380. However the 12' Avid is rated for the same and is $430.

Would especially appreciate if anyone has any direct feedback on these exact models.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ocean master cape point special. Or a used rainshadow 1569, 1508, or 1509 of fb marketplace or if one pops up here for sale.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Should have added: I found Tica makes 11' and 12' variants of the TC2 and TC3 Dolphin that are rated 6-12, and come in at $199 and $217 respectively, but no one has them in stock. If I could find one in stock, I'd go ahead and buy it. I've got an older TC2 Medium 9' my Dad gave me and its an awesome little rod with a super fast and sensitive tip.

Also interested in the new 12' St Croix Seage. Initial reviews are good and it is rated 6-16oz for $380. However the 12' Avid is rated for the same and is $430.

Would especially appreciate if anyone has any direct feedback on these exact models.
I bought my oldest son the Avid 12' 6-16 oz. spinning rod a couple of years ago, these rods were red back then, now black, great rod, casts great, it does not have a real stiff tip even being rated to 16 oz. which I like. They were on sale back then for $280, liked it so much I wanted one for myself but they were all sold, they were $420 regular price back then also, I'm still waiting for a sale to buy one but that has not happened. The St. Croix Legend series rod rated the same is about $620. Good luck,...pop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Tica T2 that’s 12’ long and rated 4-10 oz. It handles 8 and bait without a problem. I bought it about 15 years ago so I’m not sure what they cost currently, but back then it was less than $200.

I second what PCB said above, conventional setups are way better for handling heavy weight. I bought my first conventional heaver about 5 years ago, and kick myself for not pulling the trigger sooner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend seriously considering buying a conventional reel and rod for throwing 7-9ozs and bait
I knew it was going to come up! I am going to get into conventional setups soon, but the thing right now is I have SO many spinning reels that I got either free (from my Dad, friends, etc) that I want to build them out first. I know, I could sell the extra spinning reels and use the money to buy a conventional, but kinda hard when your Dad gave them to you! I have a Slammer III 7500, 2 Penn Battle 6000s, Quantum Cabos in 50 and 60, a 4000 Battle II, and a 3000 Saltist. Not to mention all of the 3000 and 2500s I have for inshore.

I'll check out the Ocean Master and keep an eye out for a Rainshadow. Also, good review on the Avid. I have a 7' MH Avid paired with a Stradic 4000 that I use for inshore and I absolutely love it.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
Penn Battalions, Really good Rod for the money. The 12 foot ex heavy will easily cast 8nBait... The Med Heavy loads well with 5 and 6. They are available in Spinning and Conventional Usually in the $139 range. If you find Rainshadows it will be from a custom build as they are really not available in factory builds.. Shimano Avid are great but for what you pay for them. Buying a custom build is less expensive. The newer blue Ocean Masters are very nice rods, cast well and weigh significantly less than the older Cape Point Specials usually in the $179 range

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Penn Battalions, Really good Rod for the money. The 12 foot ex heavy will easily cast 8nBait... The Med Heavy loads well with 5 and 6. They are available in Spinning and Conventional Usually in the $139 range. If you find Rainshadows it will be from a custom build as they are really not available in factory builds.. Shimano Avid are great but for what you pay for them. Buying a custom build is less expensive. The newer blue Ocean Masters are very nice rods, cast well and weigh significantly less than the older Cape Point Specials usually in the $179 range
I was just in North Myrtle for the holidays visiting family and didn't even try to pop over to the Bass Pro to fondle any of their offerings. Of course I look this morning and it says they do indeed have one of the 12' Ocean Masters in stock at $199. I frequently get coupons from them and giftcards from family members. If the Tica isn't going to come in stock any time soon I may just pick one up. I understand Bass Pro/Cabelas has been really good about warranties lately.

Anyone recommend a custom maker here in NC or not too far away that can build me a good one?

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
I was just in North Myrtle for the holidays visiting family and didn't even try to pop over to the Bass Pro to fondle any of their offerings. Of course I look this morning and it says they do indeed have one of the 12' Ocean Masters in stock at $199. I frequently get coupons from them and giftcards from family members. If the Tica isn't going to come in stock any time soon I may just pick one up. I understand Bass Pro/Cabelas has been really good about warranties lately.

Anyone recommend a custom maker here in NC or not too far away that can build me a good one?
In the Wilmington area See Andrew at Intracoastal Tackle on Oleander

·
Registered
261 Posts
My recollection is that most of the cheaper "8+Bait" rods (Tica's etc,) will cast 8 and bait but will not cast it as far as the more expensive rods. They are great six and bait rods BTW.

One exception was the Ocean Master which could launch heavy payloads a long, long ways. I had heavyweight OM some years ago and it was a good rod. Some of the best factory rods being made today are Carolina CastPro rods sold by Tommy Farmer. All of the new Generation 2 rods have the new guides (K Guides?) that work for spinning and conventional. I would recommend the 6-10 model. Give Tommy a call. He is easy to reach and will stand behind his product. He can also give you some casting lessons to boot. You will spend some more money than if you got a TICA but you will get a much better product that you can "grow" with as your casting improves.

Century makes great rods and I have a number of them but you can't go wrong with CCP -- especially since you sound like you are starting out. I second the advice about using conventional for heavy weights and if you have the CCP 6-10, you can easily switch to conventional Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
188 Posts
With a conventional I can assure you the 1509 is a far heavier rod as far as what weight can be thrown with them. I have several 09's and 08's.........no comparison. Personally when it gets to 8nbait the 09 is what you want. They are a 70/30 rod so that for some is a consideration about traveling. I'll have to agree on spinning reels. Its rough, put em up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I think what I am going to do is get an Ocean Master when I get a coupon or they go on sale and then see how well they perform with my current spinning gear. If I feel like I am getting what I need in terms of performance from it with the spinning, then I'll likely step up to a nicer spinning rod, like VTJim building me a custom one or maybe even the CCP. Either way, I am committed to spinning for the time being since I have the appropriate reels.

Either way, I'll report back what my results are once I move forward. But don't like me path stop the discussion here!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts