Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am up from NC staying right in front of VB Pier, which appeared closed today (10/02) and not sure if it will be open on Sat 10/3. The wind looks like it is going to lay down a bit from 4 AM -10AM, so I gonna have a go at it. My 14 yr-old daughter will be joining me for the first time saltwater fishing and this is my first time fishing in the area. I did not bring my surf rod, so I am thinking about heading to either Lynnhaven or Rudee. Any suggestions for choosing a spot? I am looking for more (smaller fish) hook-ups than a big quality bite to keep my daughter interested. I will probably just bottom fish.

TIA,
KBueno

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lynnhaven fishing pier is your best bet because they are always open. But keep in mind weather is bad, with the high waves and all. I don't think even a 10oz sinker would hold in this weather.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
A great spot bite was going on last Sunday morning at Lynnhaven Pier on the incoming tide. Filled the cooler using Fishbites. Needed 4 oz to hold or slow the drift. With the weather being rough I think Sunday and Monday will be good.

Sooner or later they should show up at Va. Beach Fishing Pier. I would given them a call in the evening and see what's going on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We landed up going to Lynnhaven on Sat 10/3 from 5:30-9 AM and had a GREAT father-daughter fishing experience! Very fortunate to have a great window of weather in a rather crummy weekend - warm, mild wind and some sun. Due to some potential erratic casting, we fished about 1/3 of the way down the pier just beyond the breakers to avoid the crowd using a mix of fresh shrimp, bloodworms, and a variety of Fishbites flavors on 3-hook bottom rigs. My daughter caught a Pinfish, Croaker and a big Spot before I got my first hook-up. Had a few Speckled Trout, Puffers and a small Bluefish (all hit clam Fishbites) to go along with more Spots and Pins. We each caught 15 fish on the east and west side of the pier before calling it a morning.

I went back just before midnight and the wind was blowing pretty good. Since I did not anticipate returning, I gave away the little fresh bait remaining when I left in the morning. Despite folks hooking up pretty consistently with Spot and some small Black Drum, I had little success using only Fishbites - just one Spot and a nice Croaker. I left about 2:30 AM.

Looking forward to coming back to VA to fish again next year!

Boardwalk River Recreation Travel Nonbuilding structure
Fish Fish Cod Bass Fishing

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Too bad the weather was crappy...good to see you got out. If you're interested your daughter might have qualified for a Virginia Junior Angler Award. In addition to the certificate you can get a small tackle box or hat. They just want you to certify that she caught and released six different species of fish. Here is an application...you can complete it and email it to them.

http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/forms/2012/Virginia_Junior_Angler_Awards_Program.pdf

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too bad the weather was crappy...good to see you got out. If you're interested your daughter might have qualified for a Virginia Junior Angler Award. In addition to the certificate you can get a small tackle box or hat. They just want you to certify that she caught and released six different species of fish. Here is an application...you can complete it and email it to them.

http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/forms/2012/Virginia_Junior_Angler_Awards_Program.pdf
Thanks for the info & link !

KBueno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts