Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Sucked as bad as it could suck

Votes: 19 28.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be willing to bet most if not all will not pick no.1 for thier answer,unless it was a first for them,say first big drum or cobe,ect...

Yes,I caught some fish this yr from big drum,kings,alberts,aj's,cudas, to big cobes,and saw some neat stuff including two nice schools of tarpon... All in all though,jmho it was one suck arse season.... I'd like to see how some of you graded it???

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great year on sound drum from the boat. Average year for seamullet and panfish. Poor year for winter stirpers and driving on the beach at OBX! GREAT year for shad on the rivers during spring run. Always a great year spending time with my fishing buddies! It's not alway about catching fish! Finally caught some trout on mirror lures!:)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I know you're talking about North Carolina here. I didn't get many trips down south this year. I had no luck with drum in the Spring and didn't fish for them this Fall at all.

Here's my take on fishin' Virginia in 2008.

This was a great year for spanish off Sandbridge.

Several big kings landed off Sandbridge Pier with a few big cobia landed there, too (including a couple of monsters that were lost :redface:). Even a nice tarpon off them planks.

A terrible year for drum off the pier. We had better luck off the beach for them, which wasn't much.

Specks were good as always at the ditch. I caught a few off the beach at Sandbridge, too, as well as some nice pups.

Lots of flounder around within paddling distance, with some good size ones landed around the HRBT and CBBT.

Schoolies in the Bay were plentiful. However, no big stripers yet off the beach or pier at Sandbridge. Maybe this week???.

The yakers landed several big red and black drum off the Eastern Shore in the Spring as well as some nice stipers in the Fall. The ususal suspects had a good year up there.

I saw a few kings and cobia landed by the yakers off Sandbridge this Fall, too.

I rank my year by the number of drum caught. So, not the best year in my book.

I would have liked to have gotten into the grey trout this Spring, but I didn't get a chance to target them. I did hear it was another poor year for them, so maybe I didn't miss much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought the year was pretty decent fishing wise. Didnt catch too many flounders or anything like that, but the number of drum i caught and the number of specks...even though they were mostly little spikes, was pretty sweet and here around Emerald Isle the drum and Specks are still strong! Time to start getting on them as soon as the wind dies down :fishing:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you're talking about North Carolina here. I didn't get many trips down south this year. I had no luck with drum in the Spring and didn't fish for them this Fall at all.

Here's my take on fishin' Virginia in 2008.

This was a great year for spanish off Sandbridge.

Several big kings landed off Sandbridge Pier with a few big cobia landed there, too (including a couple of monsters that were lost :redface:). Even a nice tarpon off them planks.

A terrible year for drum off the pier. We had better luck off the beach for them, which wasn't much.

Specks were good as always at the ditch. I caught a few off the beach at Sandbridge, too, as well as some nice pups.

Lots of flounder around within paddling distance, with some good size ones landed around the HRBT and CBBT.

Schoolies in the Bay were plentiful. However, no big stripers yet off the beach or pier at Sandbridge. Maybe this week???.

The yakers landed several big red and black drum off the Eastern Shore in the Spring as well as some nice stipers in the Fall. The ususal suspects had a good year up there.

I saw a few kings and cobia landed by the yakers off Sandbridge this Fall, too.

I rank my year by the number of drum caught. So, not the best year in my book.

I would have liked to have gotten into the grey trout this Spring, but I didn't get a chance to target them. I did hear it was another poor year for them, so maybe I didn't miss much.
Yeap,we be talking NC here,and yes you caught a few NC drum you neglected to mention to go along with all that VA junk... ;) :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a strong season with the flounder, trout and blues. In the summer I landed some fun sharks too. I wouls have liked to have done better with the drum. I recently got a kayak and plan on targeting cobia and kings in the coming months. Can't wait!! Even if I did not catch anything I'm glad to have the ability to be outside, being where everyone else wants to be. :fishing:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Definitely wasnt one of the best years big fish wise, but I could always count on catching something whenever I would go out. Whether it was a spanish, blue, undersized flounder, small specks, etc.. something was always out there. Im just gonna throw it out there, 2009 will blow 08 out of the water.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Strange??

On one board this poll was posted it was 1 most excellent 8 run of the mill and 24 said it sucked??

Here 5,8,and 6???

Guess it has to do with WHERE in NC you fished??

Where I was at it was inbetween run of the mill with good pups,decent specks and kings,spainish ok,poor cobe season,terrible drum season in surf (even way north),stripers almost nonexistent,no big blues (as has been the case in the surf for a long time)compaired to last 10yrs.. Closures had plenty to do with it this spring,although the fall sucked compaired to yrs past on about everything except pups.. All of this is just an observation from Ocracoke n to Corova,and jmo...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
On one board this poll was posted it was 1 most excellent 8 run of the mill and 24 said it sucked??

Here 5,8,and 6???

Guess it has to do with WHERE in NC you fished??

Where I was at it was inbetween run of the mill with good pups,decent specks and kings,spainish ok,poor cobe season,terrible drum season in surf (even way north),stripers almost nonexistent,no big blues (as has been the case in the surf for a long time)compaired to last 10yrs.. Closures had plenty to do with it this spring,although the fall sucked compaired to yrs past on about everything except pups.. All of this is just an observation from Ocracoke n to Corova,and jmo...
Could also have to do with each persons expectations are different.

Where one might consider 4 drum a poor season another might consider that a great year.(ME);)

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could also have to do with each persons expectations are different.

Where one might consider 4 drum a poor season another might consider that a great year.(ME);)
Compairing with 30plus yrs past... Not as ole as Mike Hayes and some others,so I'm just compairing with what I saw in the past... Had one other 4 drum yr back in the 90's and one 2 drum yr off the planks in 76.. In compairison,pretty sloooow... You do have a point though we all could be spoiled by some of the really good yrs in the past....

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Said by Drumdrum "no big blues (as has been the case in the surf for a long time)"
I thought they were thick down there in spring, even I managed to get two and I can prolly spit further than I can cast.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.