Pier and Surf Forum banner

I Bought An Xterra . . .

26K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  1BadF350 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I've been "on the fence", for a while, about buying a smaller, more economical 4X4 to replace my 1992 5.0L Bronco XLT . . .

I just picked up a CLEAN 2004 Nissan XTERRA SE 3.3L V-6 4X4, with 112,000 miles ( I just got the timing belt changed, 2 days ago ) . . . She's Thermal Red Metallic w/ Gray interior and gets 20 mpg hwy @ 70 mph, compared to the 12 mpg hwy of the Bronco.

Next mods are installing a "LOKKA" in the Front Differential and changing over to Manual Locking Hubs. Then, I'll be installing a larger radiator from the Supercharged XTERRA model, along with a DERALE 13403 (37,000 lb) Transmission cooler & auxiliary fans. The last major mod will be to replace the rear factory LSD with an upgraded "super-packed" unit, to increase the "breakaway-torque" of the differential. It has the Towing pkg. w/ factory 4.90 gears, front & rear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini SUV Sport utility vehicle

See less See more
#13 ·
Negative, ghost rider.

The amount of work required to turn a 2x4 truck into a 4x4 truck is overwhelming. It would be much easier to trade in for a 4x4 model. Another member of my nissan offroad club as done it but it is expensive and not for the average mechanic.

#19 ·
The frontier's are really cool trucks, my girlfriend is looking into one...........She finally got rid of the Taco and likes the Nissans..........an updated pic of my Xterra;

Attachments

#20 ·
Xterra and the Frontier look great. I had a 95 pathfinder that would not stop. I think I pulled a suburban a few miles down Carolina Beach many many years ago now. How does the truck ride with the rack on the front? I currently have a 15 taco and was wondering if it would put to much weight on the front end considering I have a 6 hour drive to OBX or 4 to Wilmington. Thank you in advance.

#21 ·
I do not think you'd notice any difference at all in the ride or handling...

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post, Dave
having just sold my Jeep XJ, I am now looking for another decent 4x4
and could not find much info on the Xterra as a beach buggy.
This sort of swings my vote thata way.
Is there a year or model that may be better or worse than others ???
Here in Central Florida, the 2003 to 2008 models are running about $3500.
I have zero mehcanical skills so modifying a rig is out of the question.....
I can however, build all the stuff that bolts onto the bone stock frame.
I have an '08 Dodge Durango 2x2 and love it with the exception of the
two huge blind spots in the front - - - was considering the Durango 4x4
but now will try to find an Xterra to test drive and go from there.
Thanks again for the post !!

#23 ·
Do not buy a 2004 - 2008 Xterra regardless of how good of a seal it may be ..............google " nissan xterra complaints"

#24 ·
Great Information, Byron !! I never thought to google "complaints".
I was looking at the reviews on the positive side.
There is a white 2003 4x4 in Orlando that I REALLY like but has way high mileage for the price. (and he is holding firm).
2003 Nissan Xterra XE--good condition--6 cylinders--automatic--4wd--odometer: 180,000: $3100.00
Seems like our automobiles have good and not so good years and just plain rotten years.
Volkswagon owners are having a really hard time with the newer VW Beetles with the plastic stuff falling off.

Thank you !!

#29 ·
You are correct . . . The 2nd Generatrion XTERRA's have the radiator problem that destroys the transmission, not the 1st Generation ( 1999 - 2004 ).

If you buy a 2nd Gen, I suggest totally bypassing the integral automatic transmission cooler in the radiator, just to be safe. DERALE makes some excellent units.

Tight Lines !

#32 ·
Yes, I drive it offroad on the weekends. Nothing like soft beach sand yet, but I haven't had any issues, especially with the LOKKA in the front differential, along with Warn HD manual locking hubs, and the re-packed LSD ( Limited Slip Differential ) out back, which provides "real" 4-wheel drive. Interstate driving is great.

At a steady 70 mph cruise, it gets 19 - 19.5 mpg on the interstate. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more power, maybe 50 -70 hp more ( Stock is 180 hp ). It just feels "underpowered" to me, even with the 4.90 gears, but it keeps on pulling.

It's not a "hot-rod", to be sure, and I specifically avoided the "SC" Supercharged model ( 210 hp ), after hearing about issues with them.

Tight Lines !

#40 ·
I picked this up over fall, had to sell my 6.0 on 37s :'(

2010 off-road model.
It gets the job done and is extremely practical for surf fishing but it's boring as hell to drive. Gonna pick up a toy sometime this year.
KK it looks really good dude!! I'm sure your new bride will enjoy it as well instead of climbing into a jacked up truck.. If was anything like Bad350's . As long as it rides good on the highway, does what it needs to on the sand is what matters.
I love white vehicles for myself. Every vehicle I own is white, all my company cars were white...Now you need to drag your Candy Ass down in April ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.