best all around 4x4 on the sand?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best all around 4x4 on the sand?

best all around 4x4 on the sand?

just curious on what everyone's opinion would be on the best, or most capable, vehicle on the beach. What is something you've NEVER seen stuck? I know, I know, everyone can get stuck sooner or later, but if you were shopping today for a beach buggy, what would be at the top of your list.

for the record, i have an isuzu rodeo, that does fine, as long as it's not too loaded down. I went out on the beach last week with dad and myself, and had no issues. on the way back, my cousin rode in the back (200 lb guy) and i heard a couple "clicks" from the front. That worries me because the last time that happened, my front wheels stopped turning. But we made it out ok.

this past weekend, we went with me, wife, her friend, baby, and 2 dogs and tent coolers etc. clicked a few times, and I found a place and parked quickly. on the way out, the ladies walked back with the dogs (it wasn't far, give me a break, like 50 yds) and it drove fine.

So i feel like it's OK, but i'm debating on spending money on this ride, maybe new axles up front, or trade in on a 4x4 truck or Jeep.

thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Old school Chevy square body. I would say a full size K5 or Jimmy. I owned one for years and never got stuck. Easy to work on, and cheap to lift of modify. The removable top is pretty awesome as well!

Best Truck on the beach is the one that belongs to your fishing buddy, you know the one that has no real sense, but has a lot of extra gas and bait money and wants to fit in with the rest of your crew......

Advantages;

Great gas mileage (you pay zero for gas)

Designated Driver (in case fishing is slow and you need to tie one on)

In case of beach over wash due to storm conditions (your truck is safe at home)

Rust (your truck has to drive through less salt water, wheel bearing maintenance/replacement costs kept to minimum)

Riding Shotgun (since you are not driving you can enjoy the scenery)

Other than the above I would get a Hemi, cause it is fun to say to people............Its got a Hemi

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

The best 4wd truck on the beach is the one with.........A driver with common sense, experience on the sand, respect for the laws of the beach and.................

KNOW'S HOW TO AIR DOWN

I like hummer's, as well as hemi's. But I do like the look of the current body style of the Jeep 4 door wranglers out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMike View Post
    The best 4wd truck on the beach is the one with.........A driver with common sense
    This. So much this.

one of these are awesome

If you're not lookin at spendin a great deal of money, the older Jeep Cherokees (late 90's) do well, they will overheat if you're not careful but small mods can be made to prevent that, they can be lifted easily and if you find a good one with no rust, have it undercoated - they are unibody construction. There's a lot of em on the beach and aired down they do great - plenty of used parts available and there's a Cherokee catalog with everything possible in aftermarket heavy duty stuff - you could build one outta that catalog. I'm in the process of buying one now, I think its the best way to go - I'm going straight drive to help hold down the overheating - but again, just my opinion - River

The best 4wd truck on the beach is the one with.........A driver with common sense, experience on the sand, respect for the laws of the beach and.................

KNOW'S HOW TO AIR DOWN
    This and This and maybe 4 Low, it is mo better for the trany

i completely understand airing down, no need to put it in big caps.

i got stuck the one time i didn't air down, lesson learned. but my issue is my axles tips on the front are worn. i am debating on spending money on replacing them, and new tires, shocks (all needed) or just get something else. trying not to have a car payment, so i'm not looking to spend a heck of a lot of money. the more i look around, the more i think i'll be fixing my ride. the price range i'd like to spend really doesn't have a decent daily driver, that is beach front capable, in it.

axle tips look like this

I have driven a few vehicles on the beach but I liked my 2000 Jeep Cherokee the best. My current tahoe is great to. I occasionally forget to switch to 4wd and haven't even felt the tires slip yet. I run at 25psi while I am at the beach which seems to be a good compromise for beach/road/beach/road driving.

2 wheel & 4HI work just swell.... depending upon the vehicle and tire pressure....

Care to debate what selection keeps the tranny cooler and mo happy? I will go with 4 low any day as the speed limit is 25mph and my/yours tranny likes it mo better, fact

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    2 wheel & 4HI work just swell.... depending upon the vehicle and tire pressure....

Care to debate what selection keeps the tranny cooler and mo happy? I will go with 4 low any day as the speed limit is 25mph and my/yours tranny likes it mo better, fact
    I cant imagine that driving 25mph on the beach is any harder on my tranny than towing a 6,000 pound boat around town or 200 miles on the highway, which I do a few times a month.

I run 4low is a couple spots but for the most part 4hi with the hood popped and tires 15-17 depending on location. air down and back up when i leave the island.

Simple question here.....

What would you assume is better 4HI or 4LO ?

and why?

With the very low gear and factory elec. lockers I like low for the crawl factor in the soft sugar stuff. those lockers have gotten me out of a couple bad spots. it don't steer very well but will pull hell itself straight forward and backwards.

With the very low gear and factory elec. lockers I like low for the crawl factor in the soft sugar stuff. those lockers have gotten me out of a couple bad spots. it don't steer very well but will pull hell itself straight forward and backwards.
    Did not answer the question here Mike.....

What is mo better for your Tranny? and Why?

technically I have no idea this just works well for me.

A wise old transmision shop owner told me years ago that low range is easier on the tranny. Takes the load off the transmission and puts it on the transfer case.

That being said...

I've been driving on the beach for close to 30 years now. Been stuck once ...... 30 years ago.. . Nothing is more important to successful beach driving than airing down, period.

My vote for the best beach/fishing vehicle. An 8-10 year old Suburban. They are big, carry loads of gear, perform well in the sand and are pretty reliable. Plus, in todays world of high gas prices you can pick one up fairly cheap.

Tommy

Anytime you need a 4wd vehicle, it is hard to go wrong with a Toyota. My '90 4Runner has never let me down on the beach, has tons of room for dry storage, and I get 25mpg going there and back.

I looked at SUVs before buying my Chevy Silverado w/camper top. My concern is that I did not want to put all that fishy smelling stuff in the back of the SUV at the end of the day. With the truck bed and camper top (bed is sprayed), I just chuck it all in there at the end of the day -sand spikes, funky coolers, etc. and hose it all down when I get home. With a SUV, you have to protect the inside with a tarp or something else... Just MHO...

No problems with the Silverado 4X4 on the beach - just upsized to 265 tires so it will be even easier now... Plus - I can get inside of the bed and keep an eye on the rods with the back window partially closed during a heavy downpour...

Sandcrab

Toyota Hi-lux diesel. Unstoppable.

Since toyota wont sell the diesel in the US get the Tacoma 4x4 in gas here.
    If you are ever in Afghanistan and need one go here:
    http://www.aaltoyota.com/
    ..PS they will take livestock in trade. ( really ...they will)

Quote Originally Posted by hpierce301 View Post
    i completely understand airing down, no need to put it in big caps.

i got stuck the one time i didn't air down, lesson learned. but my issue is my axles tips on the front are worn. i am debating on spending money on replacing them, and new tires, shocks (all needed) or just get something else. trying not to have a car payment, so i'm not looking to spend a heck of a lot of money. the more i look around, the more i think i'll be fixing my ride. the price range i'd like to spend really doesn't have a decent daily driver, that is beach front capable, in it.

axle tips look like this

Fix it, the repair would be 2 car payments not counting property tax and insurance that would go up.

Suburban - hands down the best and it's American.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcrab View Post
    I looked at SUVs before buying my Chevy Silverado w/camper top. My concern is that I did not want to put all that fishy smelling stuff in the back of the SUV at the end of the day. With the truck bed and camper top (bed is sprayed), I just chuck it all in there at the end of the day -sand spikes, funky coolers, etc. and hose it all down when I get home. With a SUV, you have to protect the inside with a tarp or something else... Just MHO...

No problems with the Silverado 4X4 on the beach - just upsized to 265 tires so it will be even easier now... Plus - I can get inside of the bed and keep an eye on the rods with the back window partially closed during a heavy downpour...

Sandcrab
    That's a good point. If I could do it over, I'd probably opt for a Toyota Pickup with the 22R (or 22RE) 4-cylinder and a camper top. With a roof rack and cargo rack on the back though, the 4Runner's not too bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast