Pier and Surf Forum banner

Breakaway LDX or HDX for California

10K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  jcallaham 
#1 ·
I live in California and you guys seem really knowledgeable with the breakaway rods. I'm debating between the ldx or the hdx model. Fish I will probably be targeting is Leopard shark, guitar shark, maybe batrays. My body build is 5'5' small frame build (asian). I'm using the rod as a bait and wait while i fish for the nearshore fish. From what I read on this forum, you guys like to cut the rod down a few inches?

For reels i'm thinking of pairing it with either a Emblem pro A, Daiwa Saltist Spinner, or Daiwa Sealine sha30. Is there a drawback to using a fast retrieve reel such as the Saltist spinner?

#44 ·
No, I am familiar, thanks. Helped a few people get a few more feet out of them. Watched Cody Bates snap one in half here in Linden at the oche.

I was asking the fella, who is asking why it is being assumed he wants a long rod for the surf. I was wondering if he was familar with the 13' surf rods the OP is referring to by name and model.

#47 ·
I have a lot of expierence fishing california. for those fish, you want the rod that will cast the farthest for you. that being said you are going to need 4 to8 oz sputnik sinkers,(big waves, lots of current,and radical tide changes). you need to throw 4 to 6 " fresh dead sardine, or a whole squid 100 yards. to do this you need one of the LDX rods, you need to learn about ghost cocoon bait thread, clip down rigs and casting techniqe.

the fish you are going to catch aren't huge, if you are using a spinner I would recomend 30lb test braid with 60lb test braid shock leader. An abu or akios 6500 hundred reel with 15lb mono would work real well. 40 t0 50 ib sock leader

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.