Breakaway LDX or HDX for California - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breakaway LDX or HDX for California

Fair enough 7, onward in a civil fashion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

50lb ray? Yeah, it could happen if he's lucky. He'd be tired after that. And happy.

Please stop trying to defend recommending an 8' rod, either move on or admit your blunder but please quit flogging that dead horse

Robert, PM sent. Looking forward to casting with you in Texas one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    50lb ray? Yeah, it could happen if he's lucky. He'd be tired after that. And happy.

Please stop trying to defend recommending an 8' rod, either move on or admit your blunder but please quit flogging that dead horse

Robert, PM sent. Looking forward to casting with you in Texas one of these days
    Tippet i was not trying to, i am looking into a 10 to 12ft casted rod for sharks myself, i was just trying to find out the size of the rays. 8ft is to short for me in my taste as i am 6'3 and not done growing

Whoops I apologize, sorry i dug up bones.

No worries man its all cool

Quote Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
    Thanks for the name drop, I think?

The gear ratio is the proportion of input force to output. The lower the gear ratio, the more "torque dedicated" the gear train. The higher the gear ratio, the more "speed dedicated" the drive train. It has to do with angular velocities and mechanical advantages and other such stuff. I know you don't really don't want to talk about it that much, so we'll just stop right there.

Stick to the lower gear ratios for larger fish, and you'll be just fine. Otherwise, if you want the best of both worlds, buy a 2 speed reel, and you'll learn the difference for yourself. (and possibly even wish you hadn't spent the extra money on a 2 speed)

Tread lightly on the guys in this thread. They're good guys, and will not steer you wrong.
    Thanks for the info. I always wanted to know why people always said get a lower gear ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by plotalot View Post
    Back thirty years or so I was fishing on the San Luis Pass Pier in Texas, where I came upon a small Vietnamese man who was about 5' 6" and may have weighed a buck and a quarter with his pockets full of pyramid sinkers. I was drawn into a conversation with him since he had the very first carbon fiber surf rod I'd ever seen. During our chat he hooked a small hardhead catfish and reeled it in. I watched him rebait and cast his line back out, wow that little fella sent it! Granted that I don't surf fish much anymore so my exposure is limited, but he launched his bait further than anyone I had seen before or since in a real life fishing situation.
    That's kinda cool since I am a 5'5" Vietnamese guy myself. I'll follow in his footsteps!

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    How big are the rays? if they are over 50lbs then you will get a work out on a long rod. Heck you will get a workout in general
    The area I usually fish has a ton of rays actually. I was trying to fish for halibut when it got on and snap my rod in two. My own fault for trying to fight it with a Shimano Scimitar rod. There are some pretty big fish in the area. Some guy 2 days ago caught a 6ft+ shark on the pier. Didn't see the whole shark because he was a massive asshole and was holding the cut off tail walking around.

Well, I decided on a Breakaway LDX Paired with a Sealine 30SHA. I was already using my sealine as a boat reel so mind as well save money. My only worry is that I shall eat the birdnest repeatedly for a while until I get it down. Would Braid backing and with a mono topshot be a good idea?

Going to spend the $$ I would of spent on a reel on a Lucky Craft lure throwing rod. Using a Shimano Clarus 8'6" currently and it feels like a wet noodle now.

What Tippet said is true about the west coast, not many long rodders. Went on this forum to gather more information. I think only 1 person has a Breakaway rod in all of Los Angeles from what i seen on our fishing forum.

Thanks a lot for all the valuable information.
    Last edited by tqn626; 07-27-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Yes mono over braid cause a braid birdnest will make you want to rip your hair out. Mono top shot is almost always better with a braid or mono shock. As for the sealine do you have the centrifugal brakes still?

Well, I never used the centrifugal brakes at all. I used to fish with my conventional for a while off the jetties. Stop a long time ago and started doing light gear surf fishing. Are they suppose to make a clicking noise when you reel it in (don't have the clicker on). That how long I stopped using conventional reels. Hmm, just sold some stuff on ebay. Maybe I go the spinning route.
    Last edited by tqn626; 07-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Anyone know a good place to buy the Daiwa Emblem Pro. Lowest I found is 138.

I thought you already ordered a casting rod

If your going spinning then from what i heard the fin nor ofs is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
    Well, I never used the centrifugal brakes at all. I used to fish with my conventional for a while off the jetties. Stop a long time ago and started doing light gear surf fishing. Are they suppose to make a clicking noise when you reel it in (don't have the clicker on). That how long I stopped using conventional reels. Hmm, just sold some stuff on ebay. Maybe I go the spinning route.
    If you don't have the brakes you can contact daiwa and they will send you some for free. GO DAIWA!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    If you don't have the brakes you can contact daiwa and they will send you some for free. GO DAIWA!
    I have them, I just never use them. My LDX should come in tomorrow. Anyone got any recommendation for shark RIGS?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
    I have them, I just never use them. My LDX should come in tomorrow. Anyone got any recommendation for shark RIGS?
    18in+ of single strand, swivel, then shock leader and sliding sinker. 8/0 j hook at the smallest. Or the same hook with a 2ft+ piece of hi seas quatro 400lb mono, double crimped. Thats just how i do it. You can also use cable, i dont cause its more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    The man wants a longrod for the surf and you steer him toward an 8-footer with a Daiwa 50?? Don't listen to them t, they're full of crap. Your size is in no way shape or form a limiting factor and anyone who says it is has their head up their ass. You can handle any rod you want. Meet up with us on Sat and see for yourself. Shoot me a PM on the other forum and lets get you squared away with the rod and reel you want, not what some armchair ******* says you need.
    Where in hell did you see him say "I want a long rod for Surf…" from what I've been reading he's only mentioned "nearshore" fishing, and "boat fishing" and as far as I'm concerned for a 5'5" person (size really doesn't matter) a 5' tuna stick would suffice, either for bait fishing or shark fishing (especially if the method used is balloon drift trolling), with about 60-80# braided line and a 4-6' stainless steel leader… the rest depends on the area and species you're looking for.

p.s. just for the record, I'm using this with a PENN Senator works just fine

Not familar with the HDX or LDX the OP is referring to?
    Last edited by Hudak; 08-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingfeeder View Post
    Not familar with the HDX or LDX the OP is referring to?
    breakawayusa.com

No, I am familiar, thanks. Helped a few people get a few more feet out of them. Watched Cody Bates snap one in half here in Linden at the oche.

I was asking the fella, who is asking why it is being assumed he wants a long rod for the surf. I was wondering if he was familar with the 13' surf rods the OP is referring to by name and model.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingfeeder View Post
    No, I am familiar, thanks.
    Couldn't imagine you weren't...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky's View Post
    p.s. just for the record, I'm using this with a PENN Senator works just fine
    PENN POWER and that leader you suggested is a little small

I have a lot of expierence fishing california. for those fish, you want the rod that will cast the farthest for you. that being said you are going to need 4 to8 oz sputnik sinkers,(big waves, lots of current,and radical tide changes). you need to throw 4 to 6 " fresh dead sardine, or a whole squid 100 yards. to do this you need one of the LDX rods, you need to learn about ghost cocoon bait thread, clip down rigs and casting techniqe.

the fish you are going to catch aren't huge, if you are using a spinner I would recomend 30lb test braid with 60lb test braid shock leader. An abu or akios 6500 hundred reel with 15lb mono would work real well. 40 t0 50 ib sock leader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12