River Rig - Page 5
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: River Rig

On to the kingfish (sea mulet, round head, whiting etc) bait scene. Some days they want fleas, some days meat (cut bait), some days blood worms, some days fresh shrimp, some days fresh squid. You have to change baits if what you're using isn't working. A month ago I only could catch them on a falling tide if my hooks had hardware (floats, beads, spinners, etc) and when the tide changed they would only hit a a hook with no hardware. You have to be ready to change tactics to catch them. Sometimes they're smarter than the fisherman. My main bitch is when the netters target them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

This is why i started shark fishin Go to the sea food place and get some heads and ur ready to roll

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    The Southern, I'm not sure about school size - maybe Solid7 knows.
    Not sure. Nothing schools quite as heavy as the Gulf variety, though, IME...

We really don't see that many Southerns around my part of the world.

It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between a Northern and a Gulf but the one with the tall fin on its back is a Northern and the one with the black tip on it's tail is a Gulf, the Southern's easy, it's got a brownish tint.
    Not quite right.

A Gulf is always silvery, and may or may not include the black tip.

The Northern and Southern are the ones that are harder to tell apart. Both of them will exhibit color when you catch them, and they turn into a black/white marble color when you put 'em in the cooler. There is usually a size difference - with the Southerns being the bigger of the 2, and the Northern has a dark "V" shape by the pectoral fins. And, as you rightly pointed out, the Northern has the tall spine on its back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Ditto solid7 - forgot how to say V -only thing I could think of was (head \ ///// tail).

River
    I ordered one of your rigs to see what the hype is all about. Glad to help you out!

I do have one question however. I know you mentioned all your fishing buds were using "your prefered" lengths and whatnot. Is the rig your are selling tied to those same specs so to speak?

Yes - All of my friends are tying close to the same thing, there may be some slight differences in lengths because we don't use a ruler to measure when tying on the beach, there are several different styles in retail stores with several different type hooks, as I mentioned earlier, "J" and Circle. The beaded rig is not working as good right now as what I call the Naked Rig. Have caught some nice fish the last couple days, have kept Rods out with beaded and the Naked rigs, have caught all the fish on the Naked ones without beads, my friend have commented the same thing. The beads will start working better than the one without beads later on in the year, when Sand Fleas lose their eggs. Testing, there have been some rigs sent to New Jersey with heavier Fluoro and larger hooks for Stripers and some rigged very similar have been sent to the Islands for Roosterfish, If you're ever down this way Druminthesuds, let me know - we'll hook up and fish some, Thanks -River

Yes - All of my friends are tying close to the same thing, there may be some slight differences in lengths because we don't use a ruler to measure when tying on the beach, there are several different styles in retail stores with several different type hooks, as I mentioned earlier, "J" and Circle. The beaded rig is not working as good right now as what I call the Naked Rig. Have caught some nice fish the last couple days, have kept Rods out with beaded and the Naked rigs, have caught all the fish on the Naked ones without beads, my friend have commented the same thing. The beads will start working better than the one without beads later on in the year, when Sand Fleas lose their eggs. Testing, there have been some rigs sent to New Jersey with heavier Fluoro and larger hooks for Stripers and some rigged very similar have been sent to the Islands for Roosterfish, If you're ever down this way Druminthesuds, let me know - we'll hook up and fish some, Thanks -River
    Gotcha!.....Looking forward to trying this thing and "tinkering with it" ;-)

Got the River Rig in the mail today. It's the EXACT same rig I tie when I need a longer drop and don't want to use loops. There are many variations for tying this rig including tying it out of Fluoro but it's nothing new.........Either way it answered my curiosity.

Definitely a good rig though!

I'm sure many fisherman that tie their own rigs have tied very similar rigs to the RiverRig - as several people stated earlier - It's not Rocket Science and it pretty easy to tie and it really catched Sea Mullet, Pompano and other species. I fished yesterday with a friend and it wasn't a nice day, wind almost straight down the beach and cool but we still caught some real nice Pompano and Sea Mullet, nobody on either side of us as far as we could see caught any fish , and somebody will definitely take the spot we had before we get there today - People think its the spot we're at but its the Rig. Carried 4 more dozen to "The Pelican Roost" Tackle Shop here in Hatteras Village yesterday afternoon, Steve says hes weighing a lot of fish caught with the RiverRig and people are coming back for more - Thanks for the input Druminthesuds, I'm headed out fishin again - River

U can always tell a diehard by their bottom rigs...always hand tied.

carry about 125 (last count just now 117) .. When someone asks me what i'm using I say "go over and get you some out of that bucket and try them if you like".

Quote Originally Posted by greg12345 View Post
    U can always tell a diehard by their bottom rigs...always hand tied.
    I always thought that was a sign of cheap ass... Lord knows there are shops tying better rigs than me - I just can't bring myself to buy 'em at retail.

River: Which hook is catching sea mullet/ roundhead/ kingfish better? The gold kahle or the small black circle ? How do they compare on pompano?

RocknReds, when fishin with Sandfleas, I prefer the small black circle, it works great on Pompano too - if I were using anything other than sandfleas, I'd probably use the gold kahle - River

What River said.. Sandflea would dull the tip of the hook really fast and circle hooks don't have to be extremely sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawFish View Post
    What River said.. Sandflea would dull the tip of the hook really fast and circle hooks don't have to be extremely sharp.
    So you keep an old hook as a "flea punch".

I thought everyone did that trick.

I used Gold Kahles because the sandfleas like them - but if it weren't for that, those are some **** hooks. I think that just casting them through the air makes them dull.

Thanks for the tip.. I usually just put a diff one on..

Quote Originally Posted by CrawFish View Post
    Thanks for the tip.. I usually just put a diff one on..
    No, I put new ones EVERY single time out, because the gold Kahles are just that bad.

But I save one of the old ones, because a brand new one doesn't need any help in getting dull fast. That is what I use to punch through the shell on a flea. Works even better if you knock the barb off.

Oh, and they rust after the first time out, too, no matter how good you wash them off.

I don't worry about the hook getting dull punching through sand fleas. Your line is worn and turning white by the time you've dulled them punching holes. The rig is too visible and time for a whole new rig if you punched that many fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzbck1 View Post
    I don't worry about the hook getting dull punching through sand fleas. Your line is worn and turning white by the time you've dulled them punching holes. The rig is too visible and time for a whole new rig if you punched that many fleas.
    +1 cause there is no like button.....someone said it a while back. this ain't rocket science folks. we are not re inventing fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by bronzbck1 View Post
    That's a great attention getting statement, but it's complete tosh.

Unless you found some magical Gold Kahle hooks, those things are GARBAGE. They are dull after the first couple of fish. They don't sharpen well. They rust.

No, my rigs don't look like that. I've burned through dozens of boxes of those crappy hooks, and I only continue to use them because they work well as part of a system. If the fish weren't responding well to them, I'd discontinue their use altogether, for something a bit more durable.

I make my pompano rigs to be "field serviceable". My main drop is (get ready for it) 40# FLUORO, and it has dropper loops that I tie new snoods of 15# fluoro into. Since I have to attach Gold Kahles so frequently - so as to have the privilege of having a sharp hook - this system suits me very well. I've been doing this for years. A gold Kahle hook will never see 2 trips on one of my rigs, and often won't make it to the end of the 1st.

You boys up north need to stick to writing the rules on drum fishing, and leave the pompano fishing to us down here, who REALLY know how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMike View Post
    +1 cause there is no like button.....someone said it a while back. this ain't rocket science folks. we are not re inventing fishing...
    If you fellas had just started doin' it right the first time, we wouldn't be talkin now.

I'll wear your arse out any day any where, now what them pompinos look like so i can go practice.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    I'll wear your arse out any day any where, now what them pompinos look like so i can go practice.
    Come on down, and I'll show you. I'll fish with any of my P&S pals and acquaintances, no matter off your rocker you might be...

Quote Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
    If you fellas had just started doin' it right the first time, we wouldn't be talkin now.
    this is true but it wasn't too many months ago that a certain someone came on here just chocked full of nubi questions....

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast