Pier and Surf Forum banner

My new flea rake

13K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Reelturner 
#1 ·
Been trying to find a sand flea rake but having no luck. Even the local Basspro was soldout and the staff said they were changing suppliers and didn't know when they would get anymore in. :confused: Now, I'm leaving for the coast in a week and I was determined to have one before I got there. That's when I remembered that I had a couple old aluminum signs laying around and after about 3 hours of drilling, hammering, and riveting, here is what I came up with. :)

Had everything in my shop with the exception of a couple stainless steel bolts and nuts. Now that leaves my total investment at $2.61. :cool: So what do ya'll think?

Oh yeah by the way, I didn't steal the handicap signs. My brother-in-law worked for a guy that done parking lots and it was some they had replaced. :fishing:

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks great. And besides, if any of the sand fleas are injured while you dig for them, they already have the handicap sign to utilize!

#10 ·
Sorry d, I'm going to have to decline your substantial offer. :rolleyes: Even though it almost doubles my out of pocket expenses. However, I need it next week when I take our youth group down to Oak Island. :eek: Even if we don't catch any fish, I figure that it will provide hours of entertainment for the kids. :cool:

I really appreciate everyones kind words. My daughter-in-law said that she was impressed and I told her that I had even impressed myself with this one. :)

#14 ·
We expect planty of pics from the trip with this beauty filled with Fleas!
You are probably right about it providing lots of amusement for the kids.
After we got tired of catching stuff with it we would just have resorted to seeing who could hit the other one harder with it.
But then again it was Jersey...

#19 ·
Good looking basket Loki. I wanted expanded aluminum screen, but had no luck finding any.

Smittroc, I went with the wingnuts so that I had the option of removing the handle for storage and transportation. Appreciate the thought anyway.

OBX, pipe was laying around in my shop and I'm not really worried about it breaking. I'm more worried about someone stealing it when I'm not looking, just for the copper.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Man, I can't wait to get to the coast to try it out.

#30 ·
new2salt

Well, I just got back from Topsail Island and bought one from East Coast Bait and tackle. I got the smaller of the two rakes that they had in their store. The one I bought was around 2" narrower than the larger one but undoubltly made by a different supplier or the design was different. The smaller one was made using bracing strips of aluminum running across the width of the screen, it also was a few dollars less and I thought it appeared like it would last longer. It also had two bolts w/ nuts and lock washers holding the handle on where as the larger one just had rivets.

If your wing nuts want to loosen up I would add to yours some lock washers to help with the coming loose.

Your investment.....little over 2 bucks. I would brag about it:D:D with what I paid for mine you could have made 15 of yours. You do the math.

You did well.

Reelturner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.