Freshwater Report: Patapsco - Daniels Dam area - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Patapsco - Daniels Dam area

Quote Originally Posted by dena View Post

I carry a 6 foot net with metal pipes on each end, and a small, sturdy 3 tined rake. Spread the net and jam the pipes into the river bottom below some fast water, the faster, the better. Start turning rocks over with the rake above the net. Helgies and cray fish will wash into the net. If you are in the right spot, you'll have enough in short order.
    Sometimes, if you don't have a net, just turning over big rocks can yield a critter or two, but a net is much easier. My kids liked catching bait better than fish when they were young.
    A good friend of mine and I will park at JohnnyCake rd, drive to Daniels and fish the river from Daniels to there. It is a good afternoons wading, and most times won't see another soul once we leave Daniels
    I have floated/drug from Old Court to Daniels, and found most of that too shallow to float unless the river is up. There are some good, productive holes up that a way though.

And, yes there are some big fish in the area, but you have to wade through lots of small ones to find them.
    Google "kick seine". I've used these for many years in stream water quality studies...you can classify quality many times by the diversity and types of aquatic macroinvertebrates that turn up after kicking over the stones and bottom. Some outdoor professional catalogues like Forestry Suppliers and Ben Meadows may sell them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding primer on hellgramites Catman!
    Your lure tips are priceless....

Thanks for the kind words Pat. I really like the kick seine technique to determine the entomology of a stream, river and even the shallows of the bay. It's always a surprise to see what you've captured in the seine. One thing for sure, whatever is in there is what the fish are eating. I'm going to make one and give it a try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123