Freshwater Report: Patapsco - Daniels Dam area - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patapsco - Daniels Dam area

Im interested in any advice on tactics for fishing the patapsco for smallies. I have been to the daniels area quite a few times. only ever got into some trout. I have walked the RR tracks well beyond the 70 bridge and found some real good looking spots but sadly no fish to tell of. I have tried fishing above the dam for carp as well with no luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Crayfish, or Helgies. Net them in the river and float them down on just a hook, or small split shot. The fish aren't too big, but they are scrappy.

Fast moving water, or find a hole or undercut banks on the outside turns all have worked for me.

Inline spinner baits have caught me LMBs to 3 or 4 pounds above the dam where the creek comes on the other side of the river, and under the RR bridge.

The very best bait for SM bass is the ugly hellgramite. Check my earlier post on this thread about catching them. That's what I've been using for over 55 yrs. I've fished every pocket of the Patapsco from Ellicott City to Daniels and have caught and released smallies up to 5 lbs. Maybe we can get together sometime.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Yup, that's him.
    They are tough, will last a fish or two. Hook em just once through the second joint, right behind the head.

I carry a 6 foot net with metal pipes on each end, and a small, sturdy 3 tined rake. Spread the net and jam the pipes into the river bottom below some fast water, the faster, the better. Start turning rocks over with the rake above the net. Helgies and cray fish will wash into the net. If you are in the right spot, you'll have enough in short order.
    Sometimes, if you don't have a net, just turning over big rocks can yield a critter or two, but a net is much easier. My kids liked catching bait better than fish when they were young.
    A good friend of mine and I will park at JohnnyCake rd, drive to Daniels and fish the river from Daniels to there. It is a good afternoons wading, and most times won't see another soul once we leave Daniels
    I have floated/drug from Old Court to Daniels, and found most of that too shallow to float unless the river is up. There are some good, productive holes up that a way though.

And, yes there are some big fish in the area, but you have to wade through lots of small ones to find them.

Dena I just run the hook under the collar just behind their head. You're right, many times you can catch 2 or 3 bass on one mite.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Dena I just run the hook under the collar just behind their head. You're right, many times you can catch 2 or 3 bass on one mite.
    Heck ya, I remember catching around 10 bass on one monster 'mite back when I was a kid fishing in WV. They are a crazy tough critter, and don't take them likely, they can rip some skin off the fingers if you aggravate 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    That's what I was trying to say.

Oh, yea, even the smaller ones can give quite a pinch.

fished daniels the other day around the bend. Caught nothing and had no bites. Could see some kinda fish with my polarized glasses that my friend couldn't see. Wouldn't touch anything. Threw joes flies power bait and lures. Nada. I heard daniels was only stocked below the dam but i dont know for sure. Those mystery fish i was seeing could have been small mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by CVILLEFISHERR View Post
    fished daniels the other day around the bend. Caught nothing and had no bites. Could see some kinda fish with my polarized glasses that my friend couldn't see. Wouldn't touch anything. Threw joes flies power bait and lures. Nada. I heard daniels was only stocked below the dam but i dont know for sure. Those mystery fish i was seeing could have been small mouth.
    Yes they stock above the dam. Those mystery fish were probable white suckers. Use worms, perferably red wigglers (compost worms) and you should catch them. I used to fish for them in the early spring and caught many around 16". Here's what they look like.

While on the topic of Daniels, how would the kayak fishing be above the dam ? I did some searches for posts about that but wasn't coming up w/ too much. From what I could tell, it seems as if there's some sort of launch area right above the dam and that's the south side of about 2 miles of flat water. Was wondering what kinds of fish I might get into. Was hoping for trout, smallies, suckers or carp. All C/R. Anyone got any scoop ?

Back in the day I used to put in a 12' alum car topper above the dam and fish the banks for smallies. My God that was 50 yrs ago. My guess is that you can easily yak above the dam.

Thanks for responding catman. I was curious about the post you made about hellgramites earlier. Obviously, they seem to work like bass candy. Have you ever tried fishing w/ any hellgramite lures / artificials. Any you can recommend ?

While we are on the topic of the patpsco river and it's areas surrounding dams. Has anyone ever fished above the dam in the upper avalon section? I always check it out when I am there and it looks good but have never caught anything nor seen anything. It seems very shallow in the middle with deeper water near the bank on the left side. The left side being the side the parking lot is on in the avalon area.

Hey catman thanks for the input but they didn't resemble that.. looked more like a trout or smallmouth with lock jaw lol. No chases short strikes nothing. Speaking of smallmouth I went there before winter and saw some good 2 lbers we were catchin bluegills on small jigs and bobbers tipped w wax worm and noticed these smallies chasin the gills. So change of game plan we started livelinin and hooked up at least 5 times. Fought em for a min or 2 and everytime they managed to spit the fish and hook before makin it to the bank. Mayb the fish was too big idk. I've caught a really small smallmouth (4 to 6 in prob) on wax worm and trout magnet 1 day. Also caught my biggest rainbow at 13.5 inches at daniels on a joes fly w split shot above. Cast out reel in. I've yet to catch a trout out of daniels this year. I've only caught em at centennial this year and it was only 2 or 3. Thinkin ill prob get em this spring we shall see. Also can't wait for the c&r susky shad fishin. Finally got my best friend to say hell give it a shot w me. Took 2 years to get him into fishin now he's down to go anytime he's free. (: we've been catchin little fish recently

I have a piece of crap phone and the cursors goin nuts so I couldmt finish the post. We have no boat and can't really find a good spot as of recent. Mite hit beachwood nex week possibly and the fishin flea market. Last beachwood trip resulted in losin a pickeral (bit the line) on 1 of my hand tied chartruse and white jig w flash. That was it for 4 hrs. My buddy had no bites at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    While on the topic of Daniels, how would the kayak fishing be above the dam ? I did some searches for posts about that but wasn't coming up w/ too much. From what I could tell, it seems as if there's some sort of launch area right above the dam and that's the south side of about 2 miles of flat water. Was wondering what kinds of fish I might get into. Was hoping for trout, smallies, suckers or carp. All C/R. Anyone got any scoop ?
    There is a small,3-4 car lot where you can launch in above the dam at Daniels. You can go to your left, away from the dam as far as you care to paddle, or you run out of river, what ever comes first for you. For me, I turn around a couple of miles up, and float back. A couple of turns up, past the old bridge piers, a medium sized creek will enter from the other side from where you put in, with the RR bridge going over the creek. Fish that area thoroughly. I have caught large LMB and SMB in that area. A little more upstream, the river shallows out, and it is more of a drag than a paddle, and I drift back to the truck.
    The deep side is on the outside bend on the way back to the truck, the last 1/2 or 1/4 mile or so. Lotsa snags, so bring plenty of rigs/lures.

So it has SMB & LMB. Am I likely to catch carp, suckers, trout or cats in that area ?

Walleye too

Walleye in the Patapsco ? Never heard of that... cool

They come from Liberty.

Are there any more dams between Liberty and the daniel's dam?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Thanks for responding catman. I was curious about the post you made about hellgramites earlier. Obviously, they seem to work like bass candy. Have you ever tried fishing w/ any hellgramite lures / artificials. Any you can recommend ?
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've used the Rebel Hellgramite with good success. I keep a few in my wading bag for those times when I don't feel like screening mites. I fish it under a float just off the bottom. Let the current take it with a little twitch now and then.

Almost forgot - remove the treble hooks and replace them with #2 Daiichi Red hooks. Make sure the rear hook is turned up and the belly hook is turned forward.
    Last edited by catman; 02-15-2012 at 09:58 AM.

I just ordered 3 ea of the Rebel Hellgramites from Tochterman's. I bet they'll a killer lure for trout since hellgramites are a natural food source in our streams.

#273 Molting
    #274 Mature
    #275 Immature

Those are sweet catman, I'm definitely going to have to order some of those!

Things you learn on a fishing site.
    I all ways wondered why they were different colors, and what the colors meant.
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast