Question: beginner and small craft advisory

Thread: beginner and small craft advisory

beginner and small craft advisory

a buddy of mine has a boat( 19' center console) and is quite a novice. He wants to launch his boat for the first time out of Sandy Point State Park, MD. Looking at the forecast there is a small craft advisory until friday evening. How serious is this and would you suggest going out in the bay? tomorrow is the only available day he has for a quite a wihle.. thanks for your input/advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

that boats big enough I take my 17 ft out in 3 ft seas no problem.just becarfull,and ride with the wave.

thanks for the reply!! since i have no boating experience either, im assuing that riding the waves mean not taking them head on? bear with me, please

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

The bay can be very treachorous. I am not sure a novice should go out for the first time in rough seas. Be very careful if you do.

what i mean by riding the waves is if your your going with them just stay on top of them like surfing if against themjust slow down when hitting the big ones and try not to let them hit your side

i personal don't fish,, or go out on the water,, if their is a small craft advisory or a chance of thunder storms. (don't risk your life.) there will be better days............tite lines.................)))>{

thanks.. i think we'll wait it out

I think that is best.

Please. Learn the boat and the rules of the road first. I hate to see a 16yo on a cell phone behind the wheel. Ends bad to many times.

Quote Originally Posted by gogorome View Post
    a buddy of mine has a boat( 19' center console) and is quite a novice. He wants to launch his boat for the first time out of Sandy Point State Park, MD. Looking at the forecast there is a small craft advisory until friday evening. How serious is this and would you suggest going out in the bay? tomorrow is the only available day he has for a quite a wihle.. thanks for your input/advice!
    DON'T GO!
    Inexperience and rough water, two things that start a bad day.

yeah jerk b. said it best, there will be better days. I know that when u have that shot to go out and it's your only one after a long while, the excitement gets the best of you. Don't let it!!!!

IF he has all his approved safety equipment i say go for it. go hard or go home

IF your scared say your scared I always say,why own a boat if your not going to use it.

been that route....never again. 'don't be that guy'...it makes for stories, but someday you may not be able to tell that story.

work your way up. you never know what can happen.
    i also have a new thing that i practice. 'don't be the last one back to the dock'

And as far as taking waves head first...The best way to take large wave/seas is with the boat aimed at a 45 degree angle when going into them with the bow

That does not always apply,yes that is one of several approaches they teach in Sailing school. To much angle can cause a Broaching situation.And with following seas try to stay on the backside. Each vessel will respond differently in different conditions.If you and your friend are inexperienced stay in port. I recommend a Seamanship Course.Or better yet take an experienced helmsman with you.
    Last edited by seajay; 09-10-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John81 View Post
    IF he has all his approved safety equipment i say go for it. go hard or go home
    That was stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep2obx View Post
    IF your scared say your scared I always say,why own a boat if your not going to use it.
    That was worse than stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by seajay View Post
    That does not always apply,yes that is one of several approaches they teach in Sailing school. To much angle can cause a Broaching situation.And with following seas try to stay on the backside. Each vessel will respond differently in different conditions.If you and your friend are inexperienced stay in port. I recommend a Seamanship Course.Or better yet take an experienced helmsman with you.
    Take the course. Learn the boat. Easy to say "GO GO GO" when your feet are on solid ground. To eacourage 2 non boaters to "JUST DO IT" is WRONG.

I must say, that was quite a range of responses. appreciate all the input. needless to say, we managed well for the limited time we were out there. last weekend and today are much more preferable conditions. again, thanks for the input and cautions.

Quote Originally Posted by justinfisch01 View Post
    And as far as taking waves head first...The best way to take large wave/seas is with the boat aimed at a 45 degree angle when going into them with the bow
    i dont think so...this isnt a video game or crossing the wake of a boat.