How about a Rod Building meeting? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How about a Rod Building meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
    I don't plan on building, but very interested in buy/sell/trade opportunities.

I'll sign up to drive if anybody wants to ride.

Danny
    If Imout of your way no worries I will just have to catch a later one but would love to attend

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

As of right now we are trying to firm up Jan. 23rd at my place. Chuck and I will discuss brainstorms this week and try to come up with an agenda. Please post topics you guys want to discuss. It is our intention to make this an informitive meeting that will continue to gain momentum. We want to host events through out the year to do some hands on demos as well as develope a network of builders within our area. This is not a money making venture but a sharing of knowledge and help on hangups. As far as the swapping goes I dont mind but do not want that to be the main focus of the meeting.

The last point being said I believe Chuck is planning to meet at Fishsticks4U to do a meet and greet with Scott late morning. Then at a designated time head to my place and do the remaining demo stuff. We plan to have some food and drinks and expect to have everyone who wants to attend to bring something to contribute. FYI I will definitely have beer on hand and welcome additional contributions.

Again We will hash out the details this week and start a new post next Monday with final detail and schedule. I really think this is an awsome idea and really hope to see it become successful. With the backing of at least three major players in the rod development realm and components, the possibilities are endless.

My place is:
    3613 Highland Creek Dr.
    Apex, NC 27539

if you want to map quest it.

To echo what Steve said, this is a rod building meeting first. I dont mind the swap meet and will bring stuff myself. The reason for the swap meet is for all the misc things that we encounter as rodbuilders. The couple extra guides that we have that will have a rare chance of using or what not. Right now we need you guys suggestions of what you would like to see at this meeting. The layout and demo of a dec wrap will happen for sure, but what else would you like to see? Guide foot prep, different guide choices, stripping a rod, handle and grip construction, applying epoxy? Serve up your ideas and we will try to cover what we can. Right now It looks like we will have at least some of Tommy Farmers new line of blanks and completed rods to demo, Some of Ryan White's Hatteras Jack brand blanks to demo and several of our own rods with various wraps for you guys to check out. I will have copy's of Billy Vivona's Decrative Wraps book on hand, and will bring my lap top with Visual Wrap software installed if anyone is interested in learning anything about it. I do also plan to get to Fishsticks before we get started so anyone that is wanting to can go through the shop, meet Scott and Karen and pick up supplies. This is something that Steve and myself hope to make happen on a regular basis, and am planning on doing one at my place, and Scott at Fishsticks has already expressed interest in doing one at his shop.

Sounds like a good time. I will definitely try to make this and help out any way I can. Just let me know what you need.

I have always failed at "marblizing"?? Think that's what it is called

Would love to learn how to do that properly...

Thnx for doing this and it sounds like this is shaping up nicely

Me as well would love to help out but more on the learning factor my wraps look nice yes I think But they arent have of what they could be as you all know. There are alot of things I would like to see, And I might just have to bring one of my woodring wraps to show in person if someone would like to look at them. Also I could bring Some lil smokies and bbq sauce where i am from they go good with beer lol. What would you all think about makeing a video base on the demos and at the end of the year all the videos could maybe be sold for a cherity foundation to a cause we could later find out. You all know that this is going to get huge. And there will be so much to benifit from these meetings that is great that people are getting thier motors running for this already and the 23rd will be here before we know it. I hope the weather stays fair.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysurf View Post
    Me as well would love to help out but more on the learning factor my wraps look nice yes I think But they arent have of what they could be as you all know. There are alot of things I would like to see, And I might just have to bring one of my woodring wraps to show in person if someone would like to look at them. Also I could bring Some lil smokies and bbq sauce where i am from they go good with beer lol. What would you all think about makeing a video base on the demos and at the end of the year all the videos could maybe be sold for a cherity foundation to a cause we could later find out. You all know that this is going to get huge. And there will be so much to benifit from these meetings that is great that people are getting thier motors running for this already and the 23rd will be here before we know it. I hope the weather stays fair.
    I am short on cash at the moment but as soon as I have the extra dough I want to get myself a lathe. I for one am very interested in some wood handles and such.

Quote Originally Posted by gilly21 View Post
    I am short on cash at the moment but as soon as I have the extra dough I want to get myself a lathe. I for one am very interested in some wood handles and such.
    Not the handels the wraps its what my brother calls them they look sorta like a tiger wrap but they arent. Looks like some one too a thin sheet of wood and wrapped the rod. I just finished my last rod tonight make 8 total that I have to put finish on I will post pics I just a sec on my profile.Though wood handels would be sweet but i think the wieght might be alil more then one would want

Quote Originally Posted by gilly21 View Post
    Do you have some spare old drills I can show you how to make one if you do

Mark me as tentative. I don't have any extra rod building skills not present on the board, but am a pretty good BBQ cook and can bring some smoked piggy. The good folks in NC may freak out by seeing tomatoes in the sauce, but don't worry, they're not poisonous! :P

Quote Originally Posted by skunk king View Post
    Mark me as tentative. I don't have any extra rod building skills not present on the board, but am a pretty good BBQ cook and can bring some smoked piggy. The good folks in NC may freak out by seeing tomatoes in the sauce, but don't worry, they're not poisonous! :P
    I prefer mater based BBQ. Vinager based is western NC and Mater base is Eastern. I,m right in the middle so get the best of both.

I'll just bring some of my familys' lexington style just to make sure There is some quality BBQ there

Man, I don't care where you are from, you guys missed some SWEET bbq Sat. I slow cooked a pig, with vinegar based sauce (). Yummy..... My brother brought in some OUTRAGEOUS 70 dollar cheesecake that was done up like one of those chocolate turtles, pecans, caramel, chocolate..... potato salad, cole slaw (the real stuff not that red crap, LOL), beans, deviled eggs, cookies, cake, brownies, doughnuts, I mean THE WORKS!! Yummy yummy yummy.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by thekingfeeder View Post
    Man, I don't care where you are from, you guys missed some SWEET bbq Sat. I slow cooked a pig, with vinegar based sauce (). Yummy..... My brother brought in some OUTRAGEOUS 70 dollar cheesecake that was done up like one of those chocolate turtles, pecans, caramel, chocolate..... potato salad, cole slaw (the real stuff not that red crap, LOL), beans, deviled eggs, cookies, cake, brownies, doughnuts, I mean THE WORKS!! Yummy yummy yummy.

Robert
    Dang you I just got done eating and now Im hungry agian

Quote Originally Posted by thekingfeeder View Post

Robert
    Next time give a warning or somethin, I dun drooled all over my keyboard.

OK here is what we go for now. I plan on meeting those interested at Fishsticks at 9am. This will give the guys who want it an opportunity to check Scotts place, and pick up supplies.We are planning on heading over to Steves house about 11. Right now we will be doing a decrative wrap demo, and a guide prep, wrap, and epoxy by Scott Parsons, who owns fishsticks and Threadmaster Epoxies among other brands.I will go over my setup for dec wraps and how I plan and layout the wrap. There are some usefull tips that I have read, learned and picked up from people for this. I will also have Billy Vivona's Decorative Wraps book on hand and will go through the book a little, and show how usefull it is for doing wraps. I am trying to bring my laptop with visualwrap software, but as of right now I am having trouble loading it. I am checking to see if it is vista compatable, so I cant say for sure that I will have it available. Everyone bring some food and drinks, I dont think anyone has a problem with some beers, but dont come planning on getting trashed....I plan on bringing a BBQ shoulder lexington style and maybe some cheesecake for desert. We will probably be posting a sign up sheet to make sure that we are all comfortable.

I think I missed something somewhere but where is Fishsticks?

I am hoping for a how to start demo, look at blanks, guides and get a little 101 on rod building. ANytihng I see will be new to me and let me know if I want to get further into this side of the hobby

Fishsticks is in Raleigh, the only rod building supply house that I know of in North Carolina. Anyone from my area that would like to follow/ride with me, let me know

Fishsticks
    7145 North Ridge Drive
    Raleigh, NC 27615-7038

1-919-900-8998

For those that are GPS minded....LOL

Robert Hudak

What time schedule for the get together? I am very interested in attending, I get off work that morning so I may be a little scatterbrained.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Y View Post
    I got a couple rod blanks I need to unload that are good for that. They are Chinese made with a clear finish. I think they are 40-50 pound class though and 7 feet. I've built two spinning boat rods on them and they are great. They feel like they have a tip for Live Bait rods but more parabolic.
    They would make excellent beginner blnaks for what you need.
    Ryan, I will have to pass on those blanks, something else came up....

Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123