Question: total newbie requesting basic info - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: total newbie requesting basic info

Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    Well I'm going down to Wildwood again this coming Saturday for a week.

Last year I went down mid-August, this year a few weeks earlier. Should I expect better/worse fishing than last year?

Last year I fished all the places you guys mentioned and didn't connect once. I know, I suck.

I only had two short windows of opportunity the whole week to get out and fish because of daytime activites with kids and trying to recover after the kids went to bed.

I tried the sea wall behind McDonalds one night (@10pm) and Turtle Creek by Maryland Ave (@11pm). I thought I had a strike at the end of a slow retrieve on the sea wall but that may have been a rock (lost my bucktail & gulp mullet). I tried Grassy Sound Marina the next morning with my older son but didn't catch anything there. I was using squid and tried bucktail jigs with gulp mullet. I saw one guy catch a bluefish keeper and that was it. Only a handful of people on the dock.

Anything this year I should try differently?
    Turtle creek had been off and on and the half bridge has been pretty good. If ya want, I'm off this weekend. Shoot me a pm or something and we can meet up. Right now, mackerel, mullet and clam seem to be the baits of choice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RuddeDogg View Post
    Turtle creek had been off and on and the half bridge has been pretty good. If ya want, I'm off this weekend. Shoot me a pm or something and we can meet up. Right now, mackerel, mullet and clam seem to be the baits of choice.
    Where is half bridge?

It's near the intersection of N. Wildwood Blvd. (Rt. 147) & W. Ocean Dr.
    http://grassysoundmarina.com/

Quote Originally Posted by coeng View Post
    Just ordered a 9' Tica surf rod & Penn Spinfisher Metal 750SSm reel, 20lb Maxima Chameleon mono, so I have the basics out of the way.
    Well as it turns out, after 2 trips to the Jersey shore, I've yet to hit the surf. I've fished off a marina, a sea wall, a backbay bulkhead, as well as a dock in Raritan bay. Even though I haven't caught anything yet (my trips are quite brief because I bring the kids along) I'm finding that this setup is a bit too heavy for this type of fishing, not to mention that its really hard to have a 6 year old and 4 year old cast and reel.

I could use some recommendations for downsizing. I still want to keep my current rod/reel for eventual use on the surf but for the time being I want to get a pair of smaller rods/reels for my kids. Not looking to get anything expensive, but also not looking for a cheapo Walmart job.

Any ideas?

Back down to a 7 or 8 ft rod. if money is an issue, go with the Penn Pursuit line, Tica, Tsunami, Or You could go with the Daiwa Emcast surf in 7 or 8 ft. I have both, I have a Shimano 4500 on the 7 ftr and the Daiwa Regal Plus 4500 on the 8ft. &ft is one piece and the 8ftr is 2 piece.

You are right on the 2/0 circle hooks, but those type of hook i think are only for certain fish. Perhaps you can look at the rigs they sell, and focus on the kind of fish. Maybe fluke have a special rig.

My advise for bait is to keep it simple, I just use squid, although it has seemed to lost popularity. It is very conveient as you can buy it frozen at most supermarkets. The mistake I and other people make, is not cutting it properly. You need to cut it in strips, and remove all the coloring so it is flat white, this will attract the fish.

The second type of bait is minnows, you can either catch them or buy them. Maybe buy and aquarium net and sometimes you can just grab them out of the water. Not always. Anyway, you can buy minnows and keep them alive in some type of bait holder with holes that you leave in the water. Another idea is to keep them in a cooler with blue ice, wet towel and then the minnows ontop, this will keep them alive for 24 hours.

And then, you could also put both of them on the hook, minow and squid together. I forget which goes on the outside.

I dont know alot about artificial baits, but sure why not, experiementing is the key. You have to figure out your own way, and when it works that will be a great reward.

Other people use clams, I find them difficult to handle. For strippers maybe use oily type fish, i guess like bunker....

Don't go cheap on the rod. I use Ugly Sticks 9' and 11'. Someone gave me another 11' generic rod, the difference is night and day. I recommend ugly stick 100% for the money, it is also very flexible for casting. Perhaps medium action?

I agree with park here on a few things with the exception of the squid. Ya don't really need to take the skine off of the strips. Like park said, you can buy 5lb boxes of squid at your local super market and you can prepare them yourself. Pull the heads off and SAVE THEM!!!!! YES SAVE THEM!!!!! Cut the hoods up the center. Pull out the the eggs and cartiledge. Now, you're gonna want to cut the squid into strips the length of the hood. The top of the strip should be about an inch wide and cut down the strip so that the end is a point. Like a long triangle. Like park said, you can use squid and the minnow. We call that the old "ham & egg " trick here. Put the squid strip on first and then hook the minnow through the lips and there ya go. I usually soak the heads in shedder crab oil or bunker oil. They work great as well.
    Last edited by RuddeDogg; 09-09-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12