Pier and Surf Forum banner

Outfit for drums

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Peixaria 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new spinning outfit for red drums. What suggestions for combos do you folks have?

#2 · (Edited)
Depends on how much you want to spend and everyone has their favorites but here is my 2 cents worth.

If your looking to stay under $200 then a Daiwa BG60 Spinning Reel or a Daiwa Emcast Plus 6000 Reel stuck on any good quality 12 ft graphite rod would do you just fine. The BG60 is more of a tank that will withstand a lot of abuse and has been around for a long time. The Emcast Plus 6000 is made for long distance casting and is still pretty tough. I have one of each. The BG60 will cost you about $90 the Emcast 6000 about $85.

Another good reel choice would be a Penn Slammer but your talking about $150.

Rod wise I have two Daiwa Eliminator 12 footers and I have been very pleased with them. They are good casters and tough plus I think they are a very attractive rod with the red and gold diamond weave finish but those have been replaced by Daiwa's Emcast Rods. The Emcast will set you back about $80 but you can still find the Eliminators on e-bay for $50 buck or so. But as I said, any good quality 12-13 ft graphite rod should do you proud.

Line wise, you need to consider where your gonna fish. I have never fished the Outer Banks at a place called the Point but I have heard that a good way to get shot is to fish with braid as it will cut others lines and they are stacked up like cord wood there. Same thing would go for Piers. So a good mono would be your trick if your fishing in a crowd. If not then go with a braid or a maybe Berkely Fireline. Be sure to start off with about 20-30 yards of cheap mono on the reel or the braid could just turn on your spool as it wont bite into the metal. Also be you will want a 15-20 yard stretch mono 50-60 lb leader at the hook end to give you a little more fishing fighting ability plus mono will not cut your hand, braid will.

Rig wise, just stick with the tried and true Fish Finder rig with a circle hook and 5-8 oz pyramid or storm sinker.

Hope this helps:fishing:

#4 ·
I'd like to keep it under 200 if I could get something decent. I thought once I figure out what I'm looking for I'll determine if I need to go used or not. As for the length and rating I was hoping for some suggestions on that also. I'll primarily be using it in the surf. :fishing:

#5 ·
The reason I ask is I have 2 nice used spinning rods that are just sitting a 10 lamiglas 3-8 oz. MHS and an original Breakaway 10 ' 4-8 oz. Mind you they are used but can be had for a Bargain and you could spend your remainder on a new reel that might be a step up. Once again, what length, and rating are you looking for?

#6 ·
If you look around, you can find some TICA rods that will work well for drum and put a decent reel on there.

I have a 12' Okuma Rod and reel that I bought from TW's in Kitty Hawk that has worked well. Lots of big blues and a few drum brought in on it. Rod was under $100 and real was 6-70 bucks......

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
The Breakaway

mentioned above is a great rod for yearlings and a little larger. Will probably handle up to 40 -43 inches well. I had one of them before I moved to the 'dark side' and customs:D;):eek:

A Shimano Baitrunner 6500 matches well. I believe they run about $120 or a little less. Okuma has a bad rap, but I have one that hasn't caused me any problems. Cheaper than the Baitrunner, same capacity and a baitrunner feature, and a bit lighter in weight. Some folks swear by Diawa, others swear by Penn. I'll stop now because this could develop into a religious war...

#10 ·
mentioned above is a great rod for yearlings and a little larger. Will probably handle up to 40 -43 inches well. I had one of them before I moved to the 'dark side' and customs:D;):eek:

A Shimano Baitrunner 6500 matches well. I believe they run about $120 or a little less.
Ditto on the Breakaway, I have a 13ft LDX and it is a serious heavy heaver. My son calls it my "Trebuchette" after those monster siege catapults they used in the middle ages. Problem is, it will set you back about $200 new...now if you can find one used for about $100,,,there you go, any of the above reels on it and your in for under $200 with a pro setup.:fishing:

#11 ·
Croaker I was actually looking at the Baitrunner. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the Okuma brand so I'll probably shy away from them. Looks like I'll have to start searching ebay and craigslist. You'll probably hear me asking for more info as I start getting it narrowed down. Thanks to all for the replies and assistance. :beer::fishing::D

#12 ·
My next reel will be a bait runner and I am looking at the Daiwa® Regal Plus Bite N' Run™ Spinning Reel.

They have them at Cabella's for $60-$65. Diawa's automatic Bite N' Run™ system lets a fish take a trolled, drifted or bottom rigged bait while feeling little or no resistance. When you're ready to set the hook, just turn the handle and instantly get the maximum amount of drag tension you have preset.

Diawa has another bait runner called the Sealine and it is a heavier duty model and cost about $150. I have heard great things about it but I am going to go with the less expensive Regal first. Definitely gonna have one in my reel bag before this falls Drum and Blue Run at Fort Fisher.:D:fishing:

#13 ·
Tica ueha733502s.....................11ft, 15/40lb line, 3/8oz......around$120 new.
I have this paired with a Diawa EmblemX 5000T loaded with 275 yards of 17lb mono, and I've landed my share of big drum on this setup.

Since the reel is about 8 years old, I have no clue what a new one would cost, but there are plenty of decent reels for les than $100. Have heard many good things about the Tica Sportage around $80

#17 ·
Hey Ohio!

:cool:

Get the TICA 11 ft spinner mentioned above. This is and excellent all-around surf rod for the money and would work well for most Puppy Drum and Drum fishing unless you start going to extreme conditions. It would also make an excellent Dogfish Tournament Rod. ;) Match it up with a medium to large spinning reel of your choice...possibly a Baitrunner.

I hope your summer is going well.

:fishing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.