sheephead fish

Thread: sheephead fish

sheephead fish

Stopped by the fish market today saw some sheep head fish they look just like croakers and red-drum can somebody say how they taste and if they are boney the cost was 1.59lb

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by supercast View Post
    Stopped by the fish market today saw some sheep head fish they look just like croakers and red-drum can somebody say how they taste and if they are boney the cost was 1.59lb
    How dumb are you really ? Think a few teeth dude :

sheephead are delicious...but dont look anything like drum or croaker?

round bodied fish like a bream sorta...just alot bigger ..big tough scales....goofy lookin teethlike tautog...small mouth..big head...very spiny fins..tan with vertical brown stripes

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Chris storrs is accurately describing what many of us know as a sheepshead. But I think I know what supercast is talking about.

I too went to a fish market and noticed a fish labeled "sheepshead". It kind of looked like a giant spot or croaker-ish type of fish. So I got curious and looked it up. I think it's a freshwater drum that has several regional names including sheepshead and gaspergou.

Quicky wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_drum

Food network says it's good to eat:
    http://www2.foodtv.com/terms/tt-r2/0,4474,2673,00.html

Freshwater Drum

I'm from the midwest and that is what they call freshwater drum there. Especially in Lake Erie. Freshwater drum are pretty much the same as croaker/red drum. They get upwards of 20 pounds, but most are 3-5 pounds.

desperado \ mepp3

Desperado/Mepp3 anglers you are right from the picture that is the fish my take, is it a good table fish?

Quote Originally Posted by supercast View Post
    Desperado/Mepp3 anglers you are right from the picture that is the fish my take, is it a good table fish?
    I've caught freshwater drum in Georgia, from a fairly clear and cool river. They don't taste too bad; flavorwise, kinda like the catfish I catch in the same river, but a bit firmer. I usually kept them because they were decent tasting and gave me something to fry up, but I'm not sure if I'd go paying for one. But, then again, I don't buy fish at the market anyhow; if I didn't catch it, I don't eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by mepps3 View Post
    I'm from the midwest and that is what they call freshwater drum there. Especially in Lake Erie. Freshwater drum are pretty much the same as croaker/red drum. They get upwards of 20 pounds, but most are 3-5 pounds.
    That is insane dude . You know not of what you speak . Do a little research please .

They are related fish, specifically family Sciaenidae (i.e. drums). They put up a hell of a fight. Used to catch them all the time when I lived in Ohio along Erie. A 5lb+ freshwater drum on light tackle will work your arms sore. I never personally have eaten them but I had a friend eat a large one from a fairly clean river. He said it was a little too fishy for him but he really didn't do a good job of keeping the fish fresh and cleaning it well. I would be concerned about where the fish is from. If it is from the Great Lakes they consume a lot of zebra mussels, which are loaded with metals and toxins they filter out of the water and into their tissue. Heavy on the consumption warnings...

Thanks for the information this what P/SURF should be all about to share informations

http://www.daybreakfishing.com/images/Sheepshead2.jpg

Here's what I was expectin' to see. More common the further you go down the bay, or around jetties and bridges closer to the ocean.