Fletcher's Cove DC 4/5

Thread: Fletcher's Cove DC 4/5

Fletcher's Cove DC 4/5

Let me preface by saying ive lived here in the DC area all 31 years of my life and ive never had the chance to fish Fletchers before. WTF was I thiking waiting so long?? It was really beautiful down there.

Now I usually like to fish the BAY but didnt make it out until about 4-5pm yesterday and caught the incoming high tide. A buddy and I rented a little row boat and hit the current's edge. Current was really strong closer to VA. Water clarity wasnt too bad. There were about 20 boats out there. I had purchased some fresh herring and bloods my buddy had backyard earth worms(recession). I had one hi/lo rig and another setup for throwing shad darts (all new to me).

When we finally rowed out and got our lines wet we caught a few white perch 10 inch being the biggest. I had a fat chunk of herring hoping for a Striper of big cat but nothing touched it. We did get a lot of snags while bottom fishing (maybe 10 rigs between the 2 of us). There were a couple boats next to us and they caught about 6 Shad.

All in all beautiful day to be out there glad I caught my first fish of the year and im ready to hit SPSP next w/e weather permitting.

For those who fish Fletcher's more often I have a few questions...

-Is that place snag city if you bottom fish?
    -what's teh best way to target stripers down there lures/or bottom fish?
    -when targeting shad do those little shad jig thingy's they sell there really work. If so do use a split shot to get some distance and depth?
    - Do you retrieve it fast or slow with a jerk motion??
    -what's the best area down there to fish?? (not sure if anyone is gonna answer this one) but worth a try?

For all those who just come on here and read reports all day get out and go get your lines wet. Its much more fun then arguing back and forth on the net.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to Fletchers. You can lose rigs but we fish it mostly by anchoring near Virginia shore for stripers and then letting out only enough line to let your sinker hit the bottom and then reel up a crank or two. You are down there that way and fewer tackle losses. No need to cast from boat.

for shad, yes the little darts work great. keep in mind the Shad are in schools and moving so you anchor up in a good place and cast repeatedly when they are there you will usually catch them for a while and then that school will move on. yes you need to put a pretty good split shot above for distance casting and for depth. If you do not get down you will really decrease your catch. You have to see what they want for retrive. Sometimes you just reel and other you need to do some jiggng along the way. Good luck. they are not thick yet but neither are the boats out there.

Release

thanks for the good info Release!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Yankem, I think my son and I were downriver, and to the MD side, of you and those two shad catching boats (old aluminum semi-v rowboat). We got six Hickory and foul -hooked an American. release covered most of it, but beware of the cormorants’ in the trees by the va shore, those splats in the water are not jumping fish. As for location, the lady who runs the dock gives good advice on finding the deeper perch holes.
    The current was ripping, so for the shad we were using tandem rigs with our largest darts (or round-head jigs) for depth, and the second one being a small spoon or small dart for the hickory.
    I think the shad dart works so well on that stretch because the current prevents most other small lures from staying close to the bottom. No special color seemed magical, although we had been told yellow was the ticket earlier in the day. Have fun and post up your success stories.