Little Known Fishing Rules and Laws

Thread: Little Known Fishing Rules and Laws

Little Known Fishing Rules and Laws

Even though the open forum is for inshore saltwater fishing, I'm thinking that other rules can be put in this thread too (e.g., freshwater rules, etc.)

Flea's thread about not possessing stripers after midnight brought this thought to mind.

Can we add to the thread by identifying little known rules that others may not be aware of? Let's avoid debate, and instead use this thread to put forth information.

Please identify the applicable State, the date or period that the rule is effective (since some rules only apply for a season or for a couple of months), and the penalty, if you happen to know it.

Just thinking it would be a good idea to inform each other.

Here's one:

State: Maryland
    Period: On going, applies only for certain months.
    Rule: It's illegal to use eels for striper on the Susquehanna flats during the early season. Other limits on the use of eels apply in other areas of the bay and some tributaries.
    Fine/Penalty: Not sure

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Dont ever catch a red drum bigger than 27 inches =)

Quote Originally Posted by LargemouthBass View Post
    26!!!! NOT 27!

RED DRUM (CHANNEL BASS, REDFISH)

[Regulation 4 VAC 20-280-10 et seq.]

Minimum Size Limit.......................18 inches
    Maximum Size Limit.......................26 inches
    Possession Limit............................3 per person

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

In the state of Georgia, the use of duct tape or bubble wrap on the leadline of a castnets when used for shrimp is illegal.

Defining fishing at Sandy Point

I understand one can now fish 24-7 at Sandy Point. If you bring the wife, and kids at nite, and YOU are fishing, and they are NOT, but are next to you enjoying the breezes at the shore, does the WIFE, who is NOT fishing have to have a license?? Will DNR require her to be licensed, even is she is not fishing, even if it states, that ALL have to be fishing after dark?????

PLEASE hlp me understand what the legal/proper thing is to be done in this instance.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve grossman View Post
    I understand one can now fish 24-7 at Sandy Point. If you bring the wife, and kids at nite, and YOU are fishing, and they are NOT, but are next to you enjoying the breezes at the shore, does the WIFE, who is NOT fishing have to have a license?? Will DNR require her to be licensed, even is she is not fishing, even if it states, that ALL have to be fishing after dark?????

PLEASE hlp me understand what the legal/proper thing is to be done in this instance.. Thanks

Per my call today, I was told that if anyone is not fishing they will be told to leave after dusk. That means if my wife and kids are there with me enjoying an evening outing, then the Mrs. will need a license or have to go home.

And a father cannot help a child fish, rather the child must be fishing on hir/her own. And the father must himself be fishing, independent of the child. So this is a way to break down family togetherness all in the spirit of Park Management....

When I asked why I was told that the trash and other non-permited activities was the cause. They cited cleaning up condoms, blankets, liquor bottles, hypo-needles and other assorted trash... One just has to ask the obvious...Could it be that family values have changed so much that they leave that kind of trash behind??

Quote Originally Posted by LargemouthBass View Post
    keep LMB, not catch.

This is not a saltwater issue, but in Tennessee (quoting from page 10 of the rules/reg book):

Umbrella rigs are defined as an array of more than 3 artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination. If the hook size is 6 or larger, then only one lure or bait may have a hook and that hook must be a single hook.

So what I call a "tree rig" is defined in TN as an "umbrella rig." To me, an umbrella rig is something VERY DIFFERENT - what people use here for stripers. When I fish PowerBait for trout, I like size 4 trebles and put them on a leader with more than one hook. According to this rule, I am going to have to change.

As I said, not saltwater, but to me this is not an umbrella rig.

Interesting/Good thread starter, SnS.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    “To be is to do - Socrates / To do is to be - Sartre / Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra” -- Kurt Vonnegut

State: SC

You may not fish in the ocean in a way that might be construed to endanger swimmers or sunbathers.

You may not bait, chum for or attempt to catch sharks from the waters of Horry County between March 1st and November 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by saltandsand View Post
    Per my call today, I was told that if anyone is not fishing they will be told to leave after dusk. That means if my wife and kids are there with me enjoying an evening outing, then the Mrs. will need a license or have to go home.

And a father cannot help a child fish, rather the child must be fishing on hir/her own. And the father must himself be fishing, independent of the child. So this is a way to break down family togetherness all in the spirit of Park Management....

When I asked why I was told that the trash and other non-permited activities was the cause. They cited cleaning up condoms, blankets, liquor bottles, hypo-needles and other assorted trash... One just has to ask the obvious...Could it be that family values have changed so much that they leave that kind of trash behind??
    yup...everybody must be "actively" fishing.

Have been asked to leave the spsp at dusk because girlfriend did not bring her license. Ranger was nice and did not write a citation(which he could have done).

ruls and regulations

i thaught god created the erth 3/4 whater and 1/4 land for the intention of man kinde to feed from it.how com anglers have to go by ruls and regulations when comercial boats be bringing flounders to your local supermarket under sised?all of us anglers shuld get together and file motion agents som of this ruls and stik together for awer god given whrights.i never herd of the apostals or jisus him self get sitated.

Quote Originally Posted by drag-on View Post
    Have been asked to leave the spsp at dusk because girlfriend did not bring her license. Ranger was nice and did not write a citation(which he could have done).
    Yep and sign says no pets yet little Mrs. was there last night with a poodle... not that I give a patoodle about the poodle... darned thing was so small it might have made good stiper bait.

I'm thinking the SPSP has had enough of those who hang out and party all night and so they make rules that seem to run across a fisherman and his family... times change and so should the rules. If they wanna party at a State Park during times not allowed then our taxes ought to afford them a cot and a hot until they see the next day for bail.

ANY OTHER RULES THAT AREN'T WELL KNOWN? NEVER HEARD OF NOT BEING ABLE TO USE DUCT TAPE OR BUBBLE WRAP.... BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHY THAT ONE CAME ABOUT.

i will probibly mess this up, but i read somewhere that it is illegal to lasso sucker fish in the rappahannock

In md you cannot have more than 2 hooks per line which makes sabiki rigs illegal out of the package but there is no limit on the number of rods a person can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    In md you cannot have more than 2 hooks per line which makes sabiki rigs illegal out of the package but there is no limit on the number of rods a person can use.

Yes, and I believe there is a limit with only having two treble hooks on a lure.

Quote Originally Posted by saltandsand View Post
    Yes, and I believe there is a limit with only having two treble hooks on a lure.
    IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

4.to use more than two (2) hooks or two (2) sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered one (1) set of hooks

Would a sabiki rig be considered an artificial lure if you used it without tipping it with fishbites or some other type of bait?

In SC it is expressly illegal to molest a dolphin.

I think you would have to be pretty sick mofo to molest a dolphin.

Not to mention stupid. Those things are BIG and could probably kill you if they wanted.

Evan

Columbia, SC Most of the time, Ft Fisher NC any chance I get

Ft Fisher 24x7 Access

Between Sept 15 and some date in Spring you may fish and or have access to the 4x4 area at Ft Fisher, 24x7,,,but camping is not allowed.

However if you are in a Truck "camper" no one says a word..if you sleep in your truck or put up a tent, or put sleep in a cot on the beach under a canopy or fly, it is at the descretion of the individual Ranger who is on duty to decide if or if not that is allowed.

If you call the Park office, the word is camping is not allowed but active fishing, ie, having a hook and line in the water,, then sleeping in your truck or in a lounge chair is allowed

But if Ranger Rick from h$ll comes by ur nailed..

Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaKing View Post
    In the state of Georgia, the use of duct tape or bubble wrap on the leadline of a castnets when used for shrimp is illegal.
    Not anymore

In SC you must have a fishing license to cast net for anything EXCEPT shrimp. SO, if you're a saltwater bank fisherman only using your cast net to catch shrimp, no license required, but if you're cast netting finger mullet or anything else, you need a license.

i have only one rule and one law:

don't get caught...

if ever you get caught.....don't accept, deny and deny until you die.