Help save Cape Hatteras National Park for ORV access

Thread: Help save Cape Hatteras National Park for ORV access

Help save Cape Hatteras National Park for ORV access

Hello everyone I wanted to take a moment and please ask for your support in asking everyone to help save the beaches at Cape Hatteras National Recreational Park.
    In April of this year the beaches were closed to fishing, swimming, surfing, shell collecting and family time on the beach because of special interest groups. The special interest groups took the management out of the National Park Service hands to manage it under a "consent decree" This has caused massive devistation to the economy causing loss of jobs, forclosure's on homes and up to a 41% drop in local business on the island. Hatteras island has no manufacture's, no large scale retail chains so the island depends on local business owners and the tourism in which to live. Please take a moment to check out www.islandfreepress.org then take 2 minutes to sign the petition below. Your help is urgent in this matter. Thank you
    Regards,
    B. Trotter

http://www.gopetition.com/online/18790.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

This has been posted here several times before, but thanks for helping get the word out.

My plans

Bass,
    as you know the petetion has slowed. You have seen Squid's work on RDT. We are trying to gain a bigger audience with different sites to help support this. As the creator of the petetion I plan to try to reach 20k by thursday before the next hearing. Please pass the link to all you know to protect not prohibit.
    Regards,
    Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Eastern NC, but Not near nuff to the surf

Just want to show my ignorance

I don't intend to offend. I have never been to the OBX, but I am confused on what I've been reading about the ORV ban. I keep seeing it's a ban on ORV use but I also see comments like "the beaches are closed to fishing, swimming, surfing, shell collecting and family time on the beach". Is this in addition to the ORV ban?

I don't want to be blasted, I am honestly just someone who is not directly affected and just want to understand what is actually happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Finfan View Post
    I don't intend to offend. I have never been to the OBX, but I am confused on what I've been reading about the ORV ban. I keep seeing it's a ban on ORV use but I also see comments like "the beaches are closed to fishing, swimming, surfing, shell collecting and family time on the beach". Is this in addition to the ORV ban?

I don't want to be blasted, I am honestly just someone who is not directly affected and just want to understand what is actually happening.
    start here, scroll down, click on "beach access issues"
    Island Free Press

decide for yourself. I'm bout liberal as they come, and this junk is horse dookey!
    Well, %@#&^*!

Fin that is a great question. Let me explain

Fin,

Dr. Bubba just pasted a wonderful link to everything that happens on our island. In a nutshell, the park service was sued by special interest groups to completely close all beaches that had 3 certain types of birds "in the area" they close if in the event any of these 3 types of birds show breading behavior. We are not talking 1 or 2 miles here. I have to opportunity to help measure what's open and what's not. We have approx 70 miles of beach to have fun on. 59 miles this year was closed due to the birds. Let me tell you I support taking care of wildlife however to close a beach for mulitple miles around 1 bird (yes I said 1 bird) has caused really bad economic impact on our island. I have friends that have lost there jobs and business close down also seen houses under forclosure. Dare & Hyde counties do not have manufacturing or corporate offices, Dare & Hyde county and the public count on tourist. When the Audubon and Defenders of Wildlife sued the NPS and won, well lets just say "Save a bird, Kill an Island" Thanks for your request. Please read the website and help us by contacting your local senator.
    Regards,
    Brian Trotter

Quote Originally Posted by Finfan View Post

The link that Dr Bubba posted has the info on what is happening here on Hatteras Island... In a nutshell,even though you don't live here,or as you said "it does not directly affect you",it will in the long run.. This "plan" as they call it will eventually be put into place in all parks trying to empliment a plan for orvs in the future.. Not only that,it will eventually empact anyone looking to gain access to a national park in the future on foot... What I am trying to say here is that these groups are using the EPA as a weapon to stop access to public lands along the east coast.. They have done this throughout the country starting with Yellowstone.. Also,there are groups looking to put "no fish zones" on BOTH COAST.. This is an ongoing battle that all sportsmen and women must unite to stop....It seems as though they will not be satisfied until they stop all hunting and fishing in the US......

Thank you for explaining

in a clear, easy to understand way. When I first heard of this I thought it was a bunch of ORV users whinning that they couldn't park 10' from the shore and fish from their air conditioned vehicle, wile drinking cold beer from giant coolers. (the fishing militia photo made the point look like a wal-mart parking lot). I've never owned an ORV so I've always had to "pack it in" to fish out of the way places. Did a lot of that in Alaska the four years I was stationed there.

I still have no compassion for someone who will now have to park their vehicle and hike in to fish, but as you've expalined, it goes much deeper than that. I will write my congressman and tell him that conservation is one thing, total control is something else. Public lands need to be accesssable to the public, at least by pedestrians.

thanks for taking the time to explain.

Finfan,

As I read the previous posts, I don't think you got all of the answer. You can not walk on the closed areas. Not to fish, watch birds or anything what so ever. If you do, there is a $5,000 fine if caught and the closure increases 50 meters. Birds and turtles are the scapegoat to get ORV's off the park land. In Yelowstone it is a different animal/plant as the scapegoat. In Assatteuge Island, NY (?) it is a native plant as scapegoat.

I'll give you benefit of daught because you admit to never having the opportunity to fish here. I've never fished Alaska. Most of our beaches are not accessable by foot. Miles to the beach over sand, heavy fishing equipment and a darn good transmission with four wheel drive are basic requirments here. Even the Park service uses 3/4 ton trucks to get around.

I'm not a native of Hatteras, just been visiting here for 30 years. I have met many of the locals whose grandparents forfeited this land back in the 1930's to gaurantee a national park recreational area for future generations. It was somewhat unsettling going to the regulation meeting Monday and seeing a young man whose family is of Croatan Indian decent about to loose the family business because of the closures. My god, his family was here before Virginia Dare was born and the English settled Roanoke Island.

I get it,

The walking part makes me furious. I just have no sympathy for those who can no longer drive their toys on the beach. Those that drive ORVs on the beach are a "special interest group". Everyone should have free access to walking on the beach, swiming and fishing in the ocean.

As I stated, I will be writting my congressman.

Ladies and Gentlemen...

There is a disgusting amount of much money in the hands of the greedy that they are now going to take away that which was once dedicated to the public by our founding fathers and those who came before us. Since we've allowed them to have the monetary might, I assume this is what we want...so let's not complain.

Can we not appreciate greed and land grabs for what they are? We've supported the accumulation of wealth that is ready to snap up the land deals and build their exclusive condos and beach resorts... sorry if you and I aren't being considered but that's called progress.

Money does what money does... corrupt...

Hunting season is here... and it's my danged land... so get off of it and let me do my thing... shame to say that's what we all are soon to hear from the land grabbing plover lovers...

All the facts, testimony in support of legislation

http://www.capehatterasanglersclub.o...%20revised.doc

This should clarify all issues. How much has been effectively closed to ALL.

Documentation that the immediate action was NOT required.

Documentation that bird and turtle productivity has NOT improved under the consent decree.

Documentation that the consent decree results in excessive costs with little or no benefit.

Allow SELC et al. to succeed and you will see more an more areas closed to ALL, i.e. CALO, Assatuge, etc. It is our land managers operating under NEPA that should control our resource management policies not private groups who look at one aspect only--resource management. To make my point more clear, ask yourself, what is the most effective resource management policy? Of course total closure of any area that may be used. Is this type of management policy necessary or feasible?

We all tend to forget, humans are part of nature--that is, unless you take the stance that humans are non indengenous species brought here by aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by for access View Post
    http://www.capehatterasanglersclub.o...%20revised.doc

This should clarify all issues. How much has been effectively closed to ALL.

Documentation that the immediate action was NOT required.

Documentation that bird and turtle productivity has NOT improved under the consent decree.

Documentation that the consent decree results in excessive costs with little or no benefit.

Allow SELC et al. to succeed and you will see more an more areas closed to ALL, i.e. CALO, Assatuge, etc. It is our land managers operating under NEPA that should control our resource management policies not private groups who look at one aspect only--resource management. To make my point more clear, ask yourself, what is the most effective resource management policy? Of course total closure of any area that may be used. Is this type of management policy necessary or feasible?

We all tend to forget, humans are part of nature--that is, unless you take the stance that humans are non indengenous species brought here by aliens.
    Very well said,I couldnt agree more!

Very Good Questions and Answers

Fin,

You have a lot of usefull information that everyone is giving you to research and explore. I fish with some of these guy's and live close to them. Take the time to read up on it and get everyone you know involved. We need everyone's help to keep the beaches "FREE and OPEN. If you have any questions you are more than welcome to email me direct at

[email protected]

Regards,
    Brain