How clean can the Hudson River get? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How clean can the Hudson River get?

Originally posted by shaggy
    ...but we go alone,...

...safe to start (easy on the rocks, not ready for the korky deal yet, and I still use my golf shoes), at night when no one can see me making a fool of myself (okay, so I have done that in full sunlight), but want to get up with you and learn slow

...almost promise I'll leave my surf stuff home, if I can). Let's get together...
    Shaggy,

No problem fishing just the two of us - I can give you the inside scoop on lures fishing the inlet.

Here's the deal - You pick me up in the South Parking lot at AI and take me down to do some surf fishing (no 4X4) and I'll hook you up with some jetty fishing... Deal?

Also---

1. Got a couple of rods that I could lend you if we fish the jetties together some day. You could use my 9' Tica and Nautil combo. Works outstanding with braided line.
    2. You need to fish the jetties in daylight first to get a feel for them before venturing out at night.

Sandcrab

PS - Forget the golf shoes.

PSPS - I never leave my surf stuff home when I hit IRI. I just might want to hit the DE surf if conditions are right!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Greetings All!

1) Getting back to the topic: I'll be able to post the proposed date in two weeks (will be doing my homework at the Outdoor Show next week -- hopefully we can set a date that will optimize the number of attendees, and a location that will have plenty of parking and be r-e-a-l close to the fishing!)

2) On the subject of jetty fishing: Has anyone tried those Sweedish Ice Creepers available from Cheaper Than Dirt for jetty fishing? Since I'm doing less and less jetty fishing (but more and more slipping), I was looking for a cheap alternative to corkers. In addition, does anyone know where I could pick up an extending gaff (say out to 15 feet) at a reasonable price? Anybody have a site that caters to jetty jockies? Come to think of it, I might as well post this as a new thread on the Open Forum....

ATTN HUDSON ANGLERS!!

Hey, we know you guys are out there... How about a little input? You don't have to tell us about your secret spot, and we don't want you giving away any secret methods (save those for the Fish-In so you can test them against the tactics of the Southern Rockhounds!)

What we're looking for is a good location with a good chance of nailing some Spring Cows. So far I only have two: Frank Sinatra Park and (gulp!) Troy, NY. Troy will add more driving time and will make it more difficult for out-of-towners to find a room (although I think many of us will be pulling at least one all nighter....) but has room for fifty anglers plus a boat ramp for anybody interested in trailering up to New York (that will test those wheel bearings!) Frank Sinatra is in Norther Jersey (Joisey?) and has room but parking can be tough (and being too far from your car might invite local interest in parts availability.) Maybe there's a spot you know with the right combination? Come on, don't be shy....

I've also decided to put out the $$$ for a trophy. You local guys don't really want to see it end up down on the Chesapeake as an anchor for a crab trotline! There will be a pool of course, but no cook-out (you're all big boys and can bring your own vittles!) Hell, if your enterprising enough you can fire up a grill and sell burgers and hot dogs -- might even cover the cost of your bait!

Allright now, lets see some posts from ABOVE the Mason-Dixon Line....

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I fished at Troy. I think that is as far north as they go. The reasons I believe this are 1. No license required on the Hudson up to the Troy Dam, 2. Don't see how fish could possibly swim up and over the dam. The dam is pretty big and is at an old abandoned Ford factory.

I saw some nice state parks in NY closer to the city that appeared to have everything you would need for a get together. If I find time, I'll do some research and post it here.

Greetings HuskyMD!

I've seen pictures from Troy. The Carp Anglers Group hold a fish-in up there every Fall, and they catch some mighty big carp. Its a great spot, but it might be a little too out-of-the-way (can't have those Dixie boyz getting lost...)

State parks are great, except that they're closed at night. I'm sure there will be a few of us pulling all-nighters. I'll be up in North Jersey checking out spots in a week or two (the guys at HRFA-NJ were nice enough to provide a list!)

Haven't heard anything from any local guys from P&S...

TROY IS DEFINITELY TOO FAR!

its a 7 hr drive at best from where I live.

You have probably already seen this site, but this is where I started off when looking for info on the Hudson. It has links to boat ramps, etc.

http://www.hudsonriver.com/stripers.htm

Greetings HuskyMD!

As I said before, Troy would be quite a haul for most members of P&S. At this point its safe to say the location will be in North Jersey. I'm hoping to check the remaining sites out this weekend to finalize the choice.

I've seen that site -- I believe the author wrote a series of articles for the New Jersey Angler about fishing the Hudson (all this Hudson data is starting to blur together!)

The search continues....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12