Pier and Surf Forum banner

what are the laws on fishing under lesner

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  mud 
#1 ·
I am coming down to lynnhaven and want to fish under the bridge, what are the regulations as far as anchoring, or is it smarter to get on the bank?
I read where people are getting tickets, what is that for, I do most my kayak fishing on the james river.

#4 ·
OV, I will be out with the wife on the Blue Whale (Tandem Blackwater) fishing the marshes and the 757. If ya see us, say hey. And like OV said, there are much better places (and safer) than under the bridge. If you want to fish under the bridge, you are best to do it from a Boat or Shore unless it is slack tide. However there are places back in the inlet that are much safer and produce just as good if not better fish. Hell I saw a dude pick up a nice cobia back in the channel by the tennis courts last year. Reds abound throughout the inlet. Croakers are like roaches and are everywhere. Flatties can be found back in the inlet (saw some near the island in front of Bubba's a few weeks back). I have heard of Striper back in the inlet. I have caught Black Drum back in the channel near the pilot boats. Hmmmm I think that covers it. But surfice it to say, the feesh are all over the place. Head on back and give it a shot. If you see me back there say "Hi". Will be in a tandem blackwater.

Thom

#6 ·
The way that current sometimes whips through the bridge...well, if anyone wants to anchor there...can I have your stuff? <LOL>

Joking aside, there used to be a sign there listing the numbers of people that had drowned there. It can be a dangerous spot. Not to mention anyone who DID anchor would just be a target for the beach casters....

#17 ·
Casting lead at boaters is exactly why we can't wade-fish the outside bar there anymore. Not because of some supposed law that the the dopes that run the city of VB just now (2 yrs. ago) started to inforce but because of a confrontation just like you described that happened there during the fall Trout/Striper season one night. Some knuckle-draging fools decided that a boater was too close to their spot and they thought it was OK to 'send him a message' by tossing lead at the boat. The boater complained to the right people and the next thing you know the VB finest were there the very next day handing out tickets for wade-fishing that bar and the rest is history.

If you're looking for someone to speak up and support this ignorance I'm fairly certain you won't find that here.

The inside of the bridge by the boat ramp has come close to being shut down too for the same reason and with the other side (DuckInn) closed down for a highrise condo that may never be built that is the last spot to fish the inlet. If you want to be known as the guy that closed down the last piece of beach that's still open to fish the Lesner bridge then keep tossing lead at boaters. I've fished both sides of that inlet for over 25 yrs. and do it now mostly from the Yak but I'm sure everyone will see your point when it's closed down to all that fish from the beach for good. :rolleyes:.

My $0.02

#21 ·
I got other things to contend with on the water rather than cast and fight with others. Retalliation would be nice but im not about to kill or injur someone over a fish or a spot to fish. Like to give the benifit of the doubt to everyone even boaters that get to close...maybe the motor died..maybe the current is ripping..anyhow theres alot of water out there to fish and wont kill me to move 10 feet or cast to another spot. Seems everyone these days are eager to kill each other over the simplest things....so quick to pull a gun or in this case lead..ugh just fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.