weird braid problem (power-pro red)

Thread: weird braid problem (power-pro red)

weird braid problem (power-pro red)

i havent used my metal throwin rod in a few weeks (spooled with power-pro red). so i broke it out the other day and adjusted my drag. i gave the line a pull to see if the drag was correct and it was too loose, so i tightened it down more, still the same. i thought i had busted my reel, but then i noticed that the entire spool of line was spinning on the spool.
    im guessing that as the line sat in storage and dried, it expanded on the spool??? has anyone else had this problem? i poured water on the line to try and get it to tighten up, but that didnt work, so i had to sit on the beach and strip every last bit of line off and wind it back on(huge pain in the ass)
    do you think 20ft of mono backing will fix the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

You're supposed to put 5-10 yards of mono backing on the reel to prevent the braid from slipping like that. So yes, the backing should solve the problem.

yup sure will... you need a layer of mono or tape or something for the braid to cut into to hold...

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

backing will end your problem there LR

ya learn something every day. Thanks

some reels are not braid friendly that is why you need backing (mono, tape). reels such as penns aren't braid friendly. reels which are braid friendly have groves on the spool and some JDM's have a hole on the spool to put the knot as to prevent the braid from turning around the spool- these kinds of spools don't need backing.

with my stradic and sustain (08 model)
    i only put a tape .25 of an icnh wide and .5 of an inch long. first, run your braid on the spool 5x, then make the knot (smallest knot as possible) put the tape on the knot. you can continue to spool the rest. that's what i've been using and i never had my braid turn or slipped.

hope this helps.

I prefer to use Dacron for backing. It will last forever and does not rot out so you only need to load backing on the reel just one time. I would suggest that you use it in 30 LB test for the size line that you are using.

actually,i think the instructions that come with p/p tell you to back the braid with mono or tape.
    you're not the first to have that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I prefer to use Dacron for backing. It will last forever and does not rot out so you only need to load backing on the reel just one time. I would suggest that you use it in 30 LB test for the size line that you are using.
    i thought dacron doesnt have any stretch? if it doesnt stretch , how will it work for backing under powerpro?

jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Lockowitz View Post
    i thought dacron doesnt have any stretch? if it doesnt stretch , how will it work for backing under powerpro?

jesse
    Its only used as a filler as is the mono or any other type of line that you would use to keep the amout of super braid to a minimum. I don think thgat the stretch factor means that much. Ive spent four years working in a tackle shop and that is how we backed any super braid and wire line reels.

Hope this helps

Maybe

This will explain.