Stripers at Sandy Point (couple questions)

Thread: Stripers at Sandy Point (couple questions)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stripers at Sandy Point (couple questions)

I plan on attending the Spring Fling at SPSP and I have a few questions (looking for an education).

I've never really spent much time fishing for stripers off the beach other then a relatively unsuccesful fall trip to Chicoteauge so I have a few questions.

Done plenty of fishing off the beach (but usually OBX specific) - what is the standard setup at SPSP?

I planned on using homemae double drop rigs (ie - "puppy drum") with appropriate weight. I don't like the prefabricated metal ones much.

I also plan on using some blood worms.

My questions are:

1) is there a better rig? Maybe a fish finder? Does it make sense to have a rod with one and a rod with the other?
    2) better/alternative baits? I always like to "offer" up a couple different baits so what would be a suitable choice other then bloodworms? Or is it a waste of time?
    3) I like Owner circle hooks - what would be the size range of choice for SPSP?

Thanks in advance.

My questions are

Others will chime in im sure. I think you pretty much have what you need. Don't believe what you hear about the Bay when it comes to only needing light weight. Sometimes you need 8+ to hold bottom.. So make sure your rods can throw 8nbait. Most of the times 5-6oz is enough but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I plan on attending the Spring Fling at SPSP and I have a few questions (looking for an education).

I've never really spent much time fishing for stripers off the beach other then a relatively unsuccesful fall trip to Chicoteauge so I have a few questions.

Done plenty of fishing off the beach (but usually OBX specific) - what is the standard setup at SPSP?

I planned on using homemae double drop rigs (ie - "puppy drum") with appropriate weight. I don't like the prefabricated metal ones much.

I also plan on using some blood worms.

My questions are:

1) is there a better rig? Maybe a fish finder? Does it make sense to have a rod with one and a rod with the other?
    2) better/alternative baits? I always like to "offer" up a couple different baits so what would be a suitable choice other then bloodworms? Or is it a waste of time?
    3) I like Owner circle hooks - what would be the size range of choice for SPSP?

Thanks in advance.

My questions are

Quote Originally Posted by kmw21230 View Post
    Others will chime in im sure. I think you pretty much have what you need. Don't believe what you hear about the Bay when it comes to only needing light weight. Sometimes you need 8+ to hold bottom.. So make sure your rods can throw 8nbait. Most of the times 5-6oz is enough but you never know.
    I got it covered - will have two OM's 6-12 (one spinning and one casting) along with another Tica 2-10 I think. Plan on using only 2 rods with a backup waiting. Might even pack a 4th in the truck (I am all about overkill in preperation - lol).

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I like Owner circle hooks - what would be the size range of choice for SPSP
    I use 7/0 Gami's during C&R @ SPSP. Amd just FYI you must use Circle Hooks during C&R for Stripers.

Are you allowed to use offset circles like the gami octopus?

That is what I use

I don't have a copy of the reg's in front of me; I thinks it just states Circle Hooks.

the set ups that you have should work... I have had more luck with my high low rigs than my typical fish finders, well this year anyway. I stuck soley with bloods, although others say other bait works. You should not have any problem.

The current can rip through there some times, just dont be one of those 2 ounce bank sinker guys.. you might not make it home 5-6 almost always works, sometimes 8 is needed.

The regs state that now inline circle hooks are required: "If using bait and hook has gap 1/2" or more, must use non-offset circle hooks."

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...ecregchrt.html

Blue Heron
    Last edited by Blue Heron; 03-31-2008 at 11:54 AM.