Boat at Hatteras in May?

Thread: Boat at Hatteras in May?

Boat at Hatteras in May?

I posted this in the boating forum, but didn't get any responses so I thought I'd bring it here.

Got a trip planned to Hatteras in May. Usually just surf fish, but depending on the outcome of the injunction hearing that may or may not be possible. I'm not planning to cancel the trip, but I would like to get in some quality fishing. Dad has a 21' skiff we're considering bringing, but don't know if it will be worth the trouble or not. We would be staying in the sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

You should be able to find some puppy drum and trout and maybe some big drum in the inlet

?

What is your question??

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

there are some specific rules & regs about launching there -- know you can't launch from the surf (but if ya can't drive there, that isn't an issue -- but ya can't land there, either)
    in the sound you should probably be alright.
    hopefully 'Drumdum' or 'for access' will weigh in here with their advice

Quote Originally Posted by underdawg View Post
    I posted this in the boating forum, but didn't get any responses so I thought I'd bring it here.

Got a trip planned to Hatteras in May. Usually just surf fish, but depending on the outcome of the injunction hearing that may or may not be possible. I'm not planning to cancel the trip, but I would like to get in some quality fishing. Dad has a 21' skiff we're considering bringing, but don't know if it will be worth the trouble or not. We would be staying in the sound.
    Yes that 21'er will work.. If you are not familiar with Hatteras,especially in the sound,you could be in for a rude awakening grounded on one of the many reefs we have here in the sound,or one of the bars in the inlet. I looked at the inlet today,many NEW BARS with NEW ISLANDS as well..
    This is just a suggestion.. Pay one of the guides to take you out fishing. This will give you some idea as to places you can and can't go with your boat.. Not to go back to the same spots he brought you,but it will give you some idea of the layout at least..
    You'll have to take it sllllooow at first,cause the sound and ocean here can be tricky,especially if the water is murky,or you have a day with low light and it is extremely calm. My suggestion would be to stay within channel markers. As you explore a little,you will see the bars and places that you will run aground on,but take it sllllooow..
    There are lauches at Teachs and Village Marine.Both have nice launches to launch your boat as well as slips if necessary.
    There is plenty you can catch and do here with a 21'er in May. If the weather is right,could be a cobe in one of the many channels that you could catch on bait,if conditions allow. Could be spainish and bluefish in the inlet,maybe even a big drum. Grey trout and flounder in the channels. Best advice I can give you is be careful..

DD said it best, the sound is nuts down there. A place I would want to explore with time and slowly. some damn good fishing can be had thou.

Thanks for the insight everybody. Hiring a guide is probably a good idea. Anybody have any suggestions on a good 'un?

capt. steve gwin 'hang-on' inshore out of hatteras harbor -- good guy catches the fish & great with younguns if you've got em - steve will be happy to give ya some tips for motoring your own boat out there too while you are fishing with him
    www.hatterasharbor.com/charters/hangon.html

Here are a few I would recomend..

These guys catch fish and know the sound well..

Darrell Hendrix 252-305-1657 252-995-4122
    Doug Martin 252-995-5643
    Ken Dempsey 252-986-2102
    Rick Scarborugh 252-995-2620

Thanks for the tips, everybody!