Easy short spider
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Easy short spider

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022

    Easy short spider

    First off the video did not come out as nice as I wanted so I apologize. Since I have a cheap camera there is no audio to help explain it but I will try.

    First you take and double your line like you would for a normal spider.Then double that line by creating a loop with left pointer finger and hook original loop on right finger. Twist with left finger three times and then come back through the loop on left finger with the loop on the right finger and since it up pulling on both the main line and the tag end and then since tight. I then tied the no name making sure to go through the second loop formed not back through the first loop. Hope this makes sense.




    As you can see in this pic the spider is less than 3" where when I tie them the old way I have a hard time getting them under 5-6".


  2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    4,346
    What knot are you tying from the loop to the shocker? I'm using the no-name, and I intentionally make the loop in the spider longer in order to make it easier to tie the knot.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Crisfield, MD
    Posts
    4,333
    Quote Originally Posted by basstardo View Post
    What knot are you tying from the loop to the shocker? I'm using the no-name, and I intentionally make the loop in the spider longer in order to make it easier to tie the knot.
    I make my loop about 5 inches because I like 7 wraps for my no name knot. I do realize that there is a chance of the loop catching ... I never noticed this before.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by basstardo View Post
    What knot are you tying from the loop to the shocker? I'm using the no-name, and I intentionally make the loop in the spider longer in order to make it easier to tie the knot.
    Its a no name.

    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus-x1 View Post
    I make my loop about 5 inches because I like 7 wraps for my no name knot. I do realize that there is a chance of the loop catching ... I never noticed this before.
    I use 3, 4 max.Never had a failure. When I have tried to use more I have a hard time getting the knot sinced even with lots of spit.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,771
    You've got to be kidding me! That is exactly the redone version of the spider I was talking about at Wilber's. I spent hours trying to figure out the geometry of that knot and an easier way to tie it.

    Instead of going around the thumb, you take the bottom loop and twirl it four times, then pass the loop back through it.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    the 757
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by sand flea View Post
    You've got to be kidding me! That is exactly the redone version of the spider I was talking about at Wilber's. I spent hours trying to figure out the geometry of that knot and an easier way to tie it.

    Instead of going around the thumb, you take the bottom loop and twirl it four times, then pass the loop back through it.
    sounds like bible material. Purty werk Clay....




  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SENC Land
    Posts
    1,138

    That's a good one...

    ...Clay. It took me 3 seconds to tie it. I think the first time I saw it was when Tater was showing me how to tie knots!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Bill

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bstarling View Post
    ...Clay. It took me 3 seconds to tie it. I think the first time I saw it was when Tater was showing me how to tie knots!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Bill
    Like son like dad. Kenny showed me that during the striper tourney. He had tried to describe it but seeing was understanding for me.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,782
    Nice job on the video and description Clay! I use that knot a lot, and it just made it easier.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    192
    I use a bloodknot been using it for years,simple knot to tie,it never lets me down when tied correctly,im real anal when i tie my shock on,thats a pretty knot in all but i think its little much,bloodknot might not be a 100% i think its like 85% or something like that but thats where your drag comes in play if you lock down your drag on a big fish,your asking to break him off thats why 100% knots really dont matter unless your fishing offshore for big yellowfin etc using braid to mono,(you cant teach an old salt new tricks)peace put

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    near Mooresville NC
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I use a bloodknot been using it for years,simple knot to tie,it never lets me down when tied correctly,im real anal when i tie my shock on,thats a pretty knot in all but i think its little much,bloodknot might not be a 100% i think its like 85% or something like that but thats where your drag comes in play if you lock down your drag on a big fish,your asking to break him off thats why 100% knots really dont matter unless your fishing offshore for big yellowfin etc using braid to mono,(you cant teach an old salt new tricks)peace put
    Have you talked to Old Salt/Phart Kenny Wilson?? Why use less when it's easy to have 95-100%

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I use a bloodknot been using it for years,simple knot to tie,it never lets me down when tied correctly,im real anal when i tie my shock on,thats a pretty knot in all but i think its little much,bloodknot might not be a 100% i think its like 85% or something like that but thats where your drag comes in play if you lock down your drag on a big fish,your asking to break him off thats why 100% knots really dont matter unless your fishing offshore for big yellowfin etc using braid to mono,(you cant teach an old salt new tricks)peace put
    Ian, I was just trying to help with a new way of tying the spider. I was in no way saying its the best or only knot someone should use. My opinion is the best knot out there is the one you tie the best and more importantly, you have confidence in. You have confidence in the blood knot and I have confidence in the spider. I'm sure we both have caught nice fish on our favorite knots.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    192
    hey i remember when every body got crazed out on albrights my friend tied one on for me and sure enough it broke,the bloodknot been being used for a very long time,theres nothing wrong with the bloodknot,keep it simple,and lifes a breeze.Cdog you coulnt have said it more perfectly!
    Last edited by Ian; 01-08-2008 at 05:21 PM.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    near Mooresville NC
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    hey i remember when every body got crazed out on albrights my friend tied one on for me and sure enough it broke,the bloodknot been being used for a very long time,theres nothing wrong with the bloodknot,keep it simple,and lifes a breeze.Cdog you coulnt have said it more perfectly!
    I can agree with that as well

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    745

    New video please

    My eyes are not what they used to be. I could not make the video out very well. Meantime I will tie off a few from your commentary

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022

    Sorry Teddy

    I tried to get the video better but my camera sucks on video. So here is pics with description.Hope this makes sense.

    VIDEO

    1st, double line like for a regular spider.



    Next, double that line with one loop on left finger and original loop on right.



    Next, twist left finger three or four times.



    Next, reach through loop on left finger and bring original loop through.



    Here I have the original loop through the left loop.



    Pull left loop and even up with right hand.



    and we are done.


  19. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    2,367
    i can tie my spiders about 1"

    but then tying the the shocker is hard .
    so i use a nail knot.
    with a short 1" tube, its very easy as there arent coils uncurling everywhere.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by ooeric View Post
    i can tie my spiders about 1"

    but then tying the the shocker is hard .
    so i use a nail knot.
    with a short 1" tube, its very easy as there arent coils uncurling everywhere.
    With this method if you are not careful you can end up with a 1" spider.Much too short for a no name.I'll have to try the nail.Thanks for the tip.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    30 miles from OBX as the crow flies, or 80 miles by Jeep!
    Posts
    3,303
    While sitting in jail last night, I was practicing knots with some of the birds nest material I seem to be collecting lately and tried this! OMG what a great knot! It took a minute or three to figure which part looped into what, but this is a great wat to tie the spider hitch! Thanks

    p.s. tried the BT also sticking with the hitch for now!

  22. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    990

    Knots

    I surf fish and use a shockleader. I have the theory that two small(er) knots will pass through guides easier than one large one.

    I either braid my shockleader and main line together or use a spider with a Bristol or no name knot. It is a very strong connection which holds up real well. C2

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    502

    New spider ?

    I hadn't seen this post before so I looked at it when someone suggested it as a quick way of tying a spider.

    This looks a lot like a knot that I've seen elsewhere called a 'blood bight' knot...(used for tying dropper loops)

    http://www.carlylelake.com/Fishing/Knots/bloodbight.htm

    Does it look the same to you or am I just misunderstanding the pics posted in this thread ?

    I've always used the albright but thought I might try the spider to no-name as a quicker, easier connection to tie on the beach at night. (wanted a shorter spider so that the distance between the 2 knots is less than my reel's spool circumference.

    Thanks,
    Mark

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I hadn't seen this post before so I looked at it when someone suggested it as a quick way of tying a spider.

    This looks a lot like a knot that I've seen elsewhere called a 'blood bight' knot...(used for tying dropper loops)

    http://www.carlylelake.com/Fishing/Knots/bloodbight.htm

    Does it look the same to you or am I just misunderstanding the pics posted in this thread ?

    I've always used the albright but thought I might try the spider to no-name as a quicker, easier connection to tie on the beach at night. (wanted a shorter spider so that the distance between the 2 knots is less than my reel's spool circumference.

    Thanks,
    Mark
    You could be onto something.

    They do look similar and today while showing a friend the knot I tied it twice in a row and when I held the line out it looked like a well tied bottom rig.

    I think I am going to start tying my bottom rigs this way as the loop really seemed to stick out straight and is easier to do than a dropper loop.

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buxton, NC
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdog View Post
    You could be onto something.

    I think I am going to start tying my bottom rigs this way as the loop really seemed to stick out straight and is easier to do than a dropper loop.
    You could be right but the dropper loop is fast & easy for me following this method:

    http://www.splashvision.com/video/40...pper-Loop.html

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lanexa,Va
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    You could be right but the dropper loop is fast & easy for me following this method:

    http://www.splashvision.com/video/40...pper-Loop.html
    Sweet, thats a lot easier then the way I had been trying to tie em. Thanks!

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    richmond
    Posts
    2,618
    Yepper, that's the knot I use for dropper loops. If you put more twists in it, the loop stands out more. A coupla' things; you can cut one end of the loop for more bait action, attaching the hook to one end, and, steel tackle stylee, slide a small tube(cotton swap, ear cleaner with ends cut off) over the dropper loop and use a snelled hook to the loop. This method really keeps the snell from getting tangled and casts well because it is light. Then, if you really want to get fancy, slide a small hook with the point cut off up the line, put a twist in it and hook your baited hook to it. Stops helicoptering.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •