Different brand braids...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different brand braids...?

Different brand braids...?

Not a braid vs. mono debate, so don't start.

Not a "I use braid or mono when I ....", so don't start.

This is meant to be a straight up facts thread, or as close as possible. Spinning reels only.

What I want to know is first hand experience, PROS and CONS of different braid types. A braid product review of sorts.

I was flipping through the Sufix cataloug given out at the striper tourny when I was wondering what seperated most braids from another. Was thinking of going to Sufix when what I have wears out.

My own personal experienes are with Fireline and PP.

My findings are:

Fireline: Pros- gets really soft and supple after 'break in'. Ties great knots that hold well. Seems to work lures better than PP (only one I've tried). (lures, metal, jigs)
    Cons- Abrasion resistant. Doesnt seem as abrasion resistant as PP. Somewhat flat, seems to dig into the spool some.

Power Pro: Pros- rounder, more abrasion resistant (bottom fishing for panfish)
    Cons- doesnt seem as soft and supple

What about the Sufix and Daiwa Saltiga stuff...and any other brands. Compare to other brands that you have used. Let's face it, it's too expensive to buy the 'wrong one' and not like it for your use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

cant go wrong with power pro,i use 10 pound test 2pound diamature on my light lure rod,i use it in fresh and saltwater,the reason i love this line is you can cast a green mile with it.power pro has a round line which stops wind loops from happening,i dig the high vis,colors of the line,using red now.used stren before but its crap,wind loops real easy.only con of using power pro is it'll burn your reel up wear out the gearing,little president phulluger lasted one year using this line had a shimano stradic,same thing, gears get worn, just to much tork not enough stretch.great for fishing in lillypaded lakes.

I use the Saltiga surf braid and it will outcast any braid on the market. It's 8 strands (vs 4 or 3) is so smooth that if you run the line between your fingers, it feels like one smooth silky strand. Drawback is the high cost (but it's worth it IMHO) and short length spools.

I also use the Satiga boat braid in 80lb test. It's only real advantage to me is the color markings showing length. Otherwise, it performs about the same as most braids with a high lb test. The big drawback here is also the expense. I only continue to use it because I bought a big bulk spool.

But, when I'm not on a boat and just tog fishing, my new favorite is Suffix braid. It's rounder and more supple than any braid besides the saltiga. I use it in 65 lb test and haven't had many issues with knot strength, abrasion resistance, or digging into the spool. The cost is average and I think next year I'll spool all my smaller reels with it and try it out with arties.

Power pro on the rest of my stuff currently, but eh, you guys know the deal with that.

Fireline crystal on my ultralight freshwater trout reels. Haven't had any issues. Casts really well, but it's so thin that my Carolina Keeper won't stay put if I cast hard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

the braids you mentioned (fireline and powerpro) are nothing compared to mono in abrasion resistance.....

POWERPRO
    i have tried powerpro, i have gotten alot of windknots with it and some breakoffs. I spooled it in my reel for no more than 24hrs and it went to the trash. I posted my problem here in these forum and somebody recommended sufix. ( i had just started using braid June or July this year)

SUFIX
    i switched to sufix performance braid, has been extremely happy. it's alot rounder than powerpro and alot smoother as well. I didn't have any unexplained breakoffs with it and my windknot problems dissappeared.

FIRELINE
    I have also spooled some of my reels with fireline hi-vis green, at first they were kind'a "wirey". After break-in, the line turned a bit grayish and became supple. But after sometime I also noticed that the line has frayed. Maybe, this is one characteristics of "dyneema" compared to "spectra". As i was researching the cause of the frays, i have found out that all people who have used fireline have the same frays, but they said it's all o.k., that this is when the line is at its best.

I haven't had any experience with Daiwa Saltiga braid because the spools are only uotp 200 yards.
    However, i have experience with...

DAIWA SAMURAI BRAID
    So far the best braid available in the US market. If you have tried sufix, you'll notice that sufix is alot rounder and smoother than powepro, that smootheness and roundness from sufix multiply it by 5-8 times and you'll have the characteristics of Daiwa Samurai. On top of that, the braid is sooo supple, you must be adept at tying knots for your knots to hold. I havent had any windknots with this braid "yet". This is an 8 weave braid, sufix is a 6 weave braid and powepro is a 3 weave braid. I have since stripped my reels spooled with sufix/fireline and respooled it with Daiwa Samurai. When this braid apsses thru your guides, you'll also noticed that it is more silent than fireline. fireline makes a lot of noise when passing thru the guides. this line casts further than the rest of the braids i have tried. hell, it can cast from florida to cuba!!!

Not a braid vs. mono debate, so don't start. J/K

Quote Originally Posted by HellRhaY View Post
    the braids you mentioned (fireline and powerpro) are nothing compared to mono in abrasion resistance.....
    [/IMG]
    Interesting but kinda partial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mSMguMeMU

This is funny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pZf...eature=related

Intersting again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SqIsZaE6s

Now with all that I like Sufix the best
    I've used PP , Stren Super Braid , Spiderwire Original , Fireline and Sufix .
    PP I use on loaners (got to use it up somehow)
    Stren Super Braid I like but faded and knots suck.
    Spiderwire ... 3 casts and cut it off with a knife on the spot
    Fireline was good and strong but digs and frays.
    Sufix for me is the best for my situations ... Strength , Casting distance is unmatched (except for the newer more expensive ones I've yet to try) knots hold well without getting crazy and learning new complicated knots . Last longer than most as well .

suffix braid

For one PP will cutt your guides FL gets week after about a month,Suffix you cant go wrong.Ive been using suffix green 4olb test it doesnt cutt guides and it doesnt fade quick and im heaving 6oz of lead without shock leader that performing.Also only use green because fish can see yellow and all the other flourecent colors

Braid

I have only used three brands:

Berkley:

Great strength, smooth casting. Easy to tie and cuts easily. Does not cut guides. Fades quick and tends to dry out.

Power Pro:

Same as above. Also tends to get wind knots.

Suffix:

By far the best out of the three. Same as the above but no wind knots, and lasts longer. It costs a little more (at least up here in yankee land).

Sufix gets my vote. For the past two years I have taken advantage of the Sufix rebate and it's a great deal. Without the rebate it is pricey but still worth it.

This year I tried hi-vis yellow Power Pro. Casts okay but I have more wind knots with Power Pro than Sufix. When Power Pro knots up the gel spun line (or whatever it is) seems to sink into itself, making untangling the knot almost impossible.

I have used Stren. Power Pro, Fireline. Mason, and P-Line. The P-line is with out a doubt My favorite. Power Pro I have tried several times and I still think it to be junk. Stren is quite good and would be my second choice, Followed by Fireline. The mason just works no problems, heck I got it cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HellRhaY View Post

POWERPRO
    i have tried powerpro, i have gotten alot of windknots with it and some breakoffs. I spooled it in my reel for no more than 24hrs and it went to the trash. I posted my problem here in these forum and somebody recommended sufix. ( i had just started using braid June or July this year)

SUFIX
    i switched to sufix performance braid, has been extremely happy. it's alot rounder than powerpro and alot smoother as well. I didn't have any unexplained breakoffs with it and my windknot problems dissappeared.

FIRELINE
    I have also spooled some of my reels with fireline hi-vis green, at first they were kind'a "wirey". After break-in, the line turned a bit grayish and became supple. But after sometime I also noticed that the line has frayed. Maybe, this is one characteristics of "dyneema" compared to "spectra". As i was researching the cause of the frays, i have found out that all people who have used fireline have the same frays, but they said it's all o.k., that this is when the line is at its best.

I haven't had any experience with Daiwa Saltiga braid because the spools are only uotp 200 yards.
    However, i have experience with...

DAIWA SAMURAI BRAID
    So far the best braid available in the US market. If you have tried sufix, you'll notice that sufix is alot rounder and smoother than powepro, that smootheness and roundness from sufix multiply it by 5-8 times and you'll have the characteristics of Daiwa Samurai. On top of that, the braid is sooo supple, you must be adept at tying knots for your knots to hold. I havent had any windknots with this braid "yet". This is an 8 weave braid, sufix is a 6 weave braid and powepro is a 3 weave braid. I have since stripped my reels spooled with sufix/fireline and respooled it with Daiwa Samurai. When this braid apsses thru your guides, you'll also noticed that it is more silent than fireline. fireline makes a lot of noise when passing thru the guides. this line casts further than the rest of the braids i have tried. hell, it can cast from florida to cuba!!!

does that say 40lb with a diameter of 8lb

It also says .31mm Hmmmmm

where can you get Daiwa Samurai braid?

Quote Originally Posted by Lip Ripper View Post
    does that say 40lb with a diameter of 8lb
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingfeeder View Post
    It also says .31mm Hmmmmm
    based on visual comparison, daiwa samurai is smaller in diameter. if you feel them both in your fingers, you'll also notice the difference in diameter and smoothness. i can determine with my eyes close which one is samurai braid.

i had a dealer in ym area that i convinced to carry it so we can try it out.

Seems as if Sufix is a safe bet on what's leading the way, but the Japanese Daiwa products are always a good bet too....Whats the cost on that Samurai/300yds?

I switched to 10# power pro from mono about 2 months ago and I'll probably never go back. I've casted into wind, with the wind, across the wind and i've never had one wind knot, even when throwing light soft plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by TreednNC View Post
    Seems as if Sufix is a safe bet on what's leading the way, but the Japanese Daiwa products are always a good bet too....Whats the cost on that Samurai/300yds?
    40# = $46
    30# = $55
    20# = $60

Price gets higher and the #'s get lower?

Can you...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish'n Phil View Post
    Sufix gets my vote. For the past two years I have taken advantage of the Sufix rebate and it's a great deal. Without the rebate it is pricey but still worth it.

This year I tried hi-vis yellow Power Pro. Casts okay but I have more wind knots with Power Pro than Sufix. When Power Pro knots up the gel spun line (or whatever it is) seems to sink into itself, making untangling the knot almost impossible.
    ...still get the rebate? If so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatman View Post
    ...still get the rebate? If so, how?
    rebated ended alst september 7. not aprticularly accurate about the day, but it was september. and it was one per household/address.

Quote Originally Posted by TreednNC View Post
    Price gets higher and the #'s get lower?
    yea, because it makes it harder to weave 8 strands as the diameter increases.-->only my thoughts.

treed, try it. you won't regret it.

tempting, oh so tempting

Any of ya'll ever use P-Line Spectrex IV? Use P-Line Mono, 1 Tuff MoFo!

suffix vs power pro

I really like the suffix for casting. I have had many more problems with the power pro and wind knots/tangles ect. I think the power pro is good for backing and bottom fishing, but the suffix just seems to be much better casting.

works

I've got P-line on my surf spinner works fine
    for me

braid or not to braid

Ive tried everything on the market so far sufix is by far the best.Use powerpro as far as i know I and tommy used it first 8 years ago and than everyone in Md followed suit.It spread quickley but PP will cutt guides and so does fireline.So far sufix is good.Oh I tried samuria and its to heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast