Best rockfish bait? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best rockfish bait?

Further north

We use clams, eels, and fresh bunker in the fall. Mackerel is a good back up bait to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Fresh

Bunker!

Quote Originally Posted by lipyanker View Post
    Cyg

saxis pier is open 24hrs with light the only problem are those dang bugs.there was a large shedding house on your right when you entered town.
    I hang out in Crisfield and Deal Island ... I think I can handle the bugs Anyway they should be slowing down about now anyway.

SJ,
    Depended on if we were targeting cows or pan sized. Pan rock we usually cut the peeler in half or quarters (depending how many we had). When we went for the cows we'd use whole live peelers. Wouldn't even run a hook through them. Just lay the peeler along the shank of a long shanked hooked and double a rubber band around them and let them drift. Guess it was akin to live lining back then. As far as halving or quartering them, yes, they would leak their guts out which is what seemed to bring the fish in. Back then, the 70's, you didn't have to wait long for a fish to grab it. If we had no hits within 10-15mins. we moved to another spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMD View Post
    yep, mine still smells horrific even after all these years!
    Hey Trevor

Go ahead and use that stuff this year at the tank when you get a chance. Make Manayunk Jake proud!!! Ahhh memories!!

Rest in Peace MJ

Quote Originally Posted by scavengerj View Post
    SJ,
    Depended on if we were targeting cows or pan sized. Pan rock we usually cut the peeler in half or quarters (depending how many we had). When we went for the cows we'd use whole live peelers. Wouldn't even run a hook through them. Just lay the peeler along the shank of a long shanked hooked and double a rubber band around them and let them drift. Guess it was akin to live lining back then. As far as halving or quartering them, yes, they would leak their guts out which is what seemed to bring the fish in. Back then, the 70's, you didn't have to wait long for a fish to grab it. If we had no hits within 10-15mins. we moved to another spot.
    thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12