Tire Deflator - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Deflator

http://www.jtbrooks.com/

THE BEST ! HANDS DOWN ! tried the rest...these are the best....

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I have bad knees, at one time or another; I have tried just about every deflator out there.
    For one tire at a time, the ARB is the easiest, fastest, and most expensive. It allows you to pull the valve stem, watch the pressure drop on a gauge and reinsert the stem when you get to desired pressure. It is a little pricey at $50.00 per unit, but it is the fastest for one tire at a time. I am currently running a F250 and have to go down from 65 and 80 to 20. I have one of these….but read on.
    Attachment 57949

The original Tire buddy deflator is the first one I purchased. Once I got it dialed in to stop at 20lbs, it was great, but only one tire at a time. My knees were still working then. I should have purchased 3 more to have a full set. It was reliable and slowed down as the pressure was reduced and stopped completely at 20 lbs. In retrospect, I should have purchased 3 more for a full set. If I am not mistaken, they are now on their third generation (Tirebuddy III). Depending upon the cost for a set of 4, I would give them serious consideration.

Don’t bother with the el cheapo sets of 4 off of Flea bay. I bought em, spent close to 2 hours setting all 4 to 20 lbs. by deflating and reinflating the tires. When it was done, I thought it would be great, just go around the truck once, screw em all in and wait till they are done. Wrong, the first time I went to air down prior to going over the ramp, all 4 deflated to different pressures. They appeared to be brass, but they were junk. Picture of el cheapos
    Attachment 57951

I got a set of Oasis trailheads a couple of years ago and that is what I am currently using and I do recommend these. They are relatively easy to adjust the pressure setting with the enclosed allen wrench. I put all four on at once and let em go. As the pressure reduces, they slow down and they do stop at whatever pressure you set the predetermined stop. Accordingly, it may take a couple of adjustments to get them to precisely where you want them to stop. Unlike the el cheapos discussed above, once adjusted you don’t have to worry about the Trailheads again. The only downside is if you pull them off before you reach your desired setting, they will not restart after the pressure drops to 28 lbs.
    In summary, I recommend the trailheads.
    Attachment 57953

I am currently making a system that i will be able to inflate/deflate and/or equalize all 4 tires at one. Yes some might consider it a little bulky because if involves 2 20' sections of air hose but i think it will be worth it. Connect all for tires up, open valve and watch gauge until you get where you want. If you want to drop the fronts even more unhook the rears and keep going. When ready to air up connect all 4 tires and you can either connect an air chuck and open a valve or you can fill through a shrader valve. All 4 inflated at once.

Name:  2326065E-3786-4EB8-9A5D-56A50B1507AB.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  196.4 KB
    Attachment 58679Name:  DD683505-4B7F-47FA-A4B3-E15DD9D56A03.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  86.8 KB
    Here’s my setup. 2 20’ of air line teed with a 3’ drop on each. Chucks that lock on the Schrader valves. Church air lines to valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
    Name:  2326065E-3786-4EB8-9A5D-56A50B1507AB.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  196.4 KB
    Attachment 58679Name:  DD683505-4B7F-47FA-A4B3-E15DD9D56A03.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  86.8 KB
    Here’s my setup. 2 20’ of air line teed with a 3’ drop on each. Chucks that lock on the Schrader valves. Church air lines to valve.
    I'm interested on how well it will work. You may need a very large air compressor to inflate all 4 tires at one shot. Have you ever tried to inflate a 100psi tire at a gas station?

It should inflate the tires to what ever the psi the compressor is regulated to. The biggest issue would be time to inflate. Really depends on the cfm of the compressor. I know people who off road that use similar setups running onboard compressors with no tanks. I figure it should speed up airing down and take about the same time to air up as it would doing each tire individually. Just eliminate all the time squatting at each tire. I’m going to test it out tomorrow.

Just tested it out. About 1 minute to hook up. Just under 2 minutes to drop from 40 to 20 psi and just under 5 minutes to go from 20 to 40 psi. I used my small craftsman portable compressor to air back up. And all 4 tires are the exact same psi

Just tested it out. About 1 minute to hook up. Just under 2 minutes to drop from 40 to 20 psi and just under 5 minutes to go from 20 to 40 psi. I used my small craftsman portable compressor to air back up. And all 4 tires are the exact same psi
    pretty cool. You just need an onboard air compesor now.

Been looking at different options. probably going to be a project later on.

I use a tire gauge, but only air down after I get stuck...lol. I have only been stuck once. Aired down to 12 psi and crawled out with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadF350 View Post
    I’ve had good success with “Tire Buddy” deflators. I bought four to speed things up. I ran different pressures front to back so I stamped them with their setting once they were set.
    +1. Mine whistle until they get to the set air pressure then stop, easy as pie.

It should inflate the tires to what ever the psi the compressor is regulated to. The biggest issue would be time to inflate. Really depends on the cfm of the compressor. I know people who off road that use similar setups running onboard compressors with no tanks. I figure it should speed up airing down and take about the same time to air up as it would doing each tire individually. Just eliminate all the time squatting at each tire. I’m going to test it out tomorrow.
    I use my car key. it is handy.

Mostly ride around on 20 pound PSI (I think its around 20 PSI but I never use a gauge, I use the eye method and then push on the sidewall with my fingers to test for that squishy feeling.

When I get in the sand I put Quadratrac transmission in low and back in high when I leave the sand.

When I first went on the sand, there were no instructions on the internet (what was the internet?) and sand got in the air gauges which made them unreliable for me.

remove the stem.

I remove the valve stem, less than 20 seconds per tire. Takes longer to remove the caps. I go from 34 to 20 dang fast.
    Last edited by redfishnc; 10-24-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12