Rod Building Classes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Building Classes

If we try to for the next sat the 6th, i can do anytime from 8am to 2pm. After 2, I got baby duty.

Ken, I could swing by and throw you in my trunk if you need a ride.

percy

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Booked next Sat but...

Hey guys...

Your are right Redskin...we need to do this when you can come.

I am booked next Saturday...but, I am free Sunday, January 8th in the afternoon...

First session should be a "get-together, assess needs, talk about where we want to go with this" thing.

Will a Sunday afternoon work?

Frank

P.S. I am going to be tying this afternoon(Friday). If anyone is interested in joining me...even if you just want to learn, send me your number, i'll call and we can makew a plan.

F

Rufus
    Some good solid advise from AlantaKing I would just add a few points.

1.Underwraps thread, are the same size as the overwraps thread. Do you apply a coat of epoxy on the underwraps?
    There is no hard rule that I know of when selecting a size thread. I use (A), (C) under and (A), (C) or even (E) guide wrap in some applications. It looks like you have yet to build the first rod, so something to keep in mind as you go forward regarding thread choices.
    1.Under wraps are mostly for decoration they do provide some blank protection from guide foot damage. If you do not use the under wrap make real sure the guide feet are prepared properly.
    2.Thread adds weight however slight it does.
    3.Under wraps can cause a negative dampening affect on the overall intended action of the blank.
    I give my under wraps (2) coats of color preserver to lock them down.

2.Recommendation on epoxy brand-flex coat, ub40 etc.
    I use Flex Coat mostly because I get consistent results. UB40 is also a good product.
    3.Tape or Reel Seat Arbors
    1/4 ď masking tape as mentioned before coat the areaís between the tape rings.
    You may want to rough up the inside of the reel seat a bit.

4.When applying epoxy, hand turn or turn with dryer
    I turn by hand when applying epoxy I find I have better control being able to rotate both directions

Sunday would be a better day for me. Let's see what ken says.

Ken if sunday works for you, I'll pick you up. you got my #'s

thanks again Franks and rodbuilder

Percy

Rattler,

i would like to start with a rebuild...this rod is from the 70s and i retired it in 2002...has good "MOJO"...is this harder or better for a beginner?...i'm definitely up for it...

In my opinion thatís a good place to start depending on what exactly you want to do, you already have the components unless you want to upgrade.
    Tell us a little about the rod; and what you would like to do with it. Are you going to replace the guides, reel seat, butt grip, fore grip? Iíll assume the blank is not damaged.

Art

actually sunday the 8th would be great afternoon just say the time. Percy I will be driving by then but thanks for the offer If something happens I may still take you up on the ride offer though. My new cell number is 375 6063

ken

Jan 8

Ok Guys,

Jan 8 it is. I'll send directions to my place to everyone that lets me know they are coming. I am thinking 1 PM.

Frank

Sounds good to me!

Great! count me in

Percy

the guides...the rod was 9' when i bought it and a "friend" stepped on it and broke it at the furle 2 weeks later...cut it down and fixed it myself...didn't know what i was doing but it sure seemed to work as i caught a lot of fish with it...had a pfluger 927(?) reel that died the year before...the rod cast great but the tip and eyes are chewed up...has a cork butt that is fine...

the guides...the rod was 9' when i bought it and a "friend" stepped on it and broke it at the furle 2 weeks later...cut it down and fixed it myself...didn't know what i was doing but it sure seemed to work as i caught a lot of fish with it...had a pfluger 927(?) reel that died the year before...the rod cast great but the tip and eyes are chewed up...has a cork butt that is fine...
    12-31-2005 11:01 AM

rattler,
    You can use a single edge razor with a little heat to soften the wrap a bit. I've used a blow dryer rather than a flame. After the guides are removed clean up the area with some denatured alcohol.

i know i could change the guides...the rod looks like crap due to the finish being all cracked up...i want to refinish it and do the guides at the same time...

Iíve never had much luck re-finishing (painting) the entire blank, just doesnít hold up after a short time. Maybe someone who has had success can give advice.

thanks ...i'm gonna give it a shot...i'll let you know how it goes...

Read somewhere - paints used for polycarbonate R/C model car bodies works then two coats of Permaglos over it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12