Rod Building-Getting Started

Thread: Rod Building-Getting Started

Rod Building-Getting Started

I've been building plugs and tying flies of all kinds for awhile now, and the idea of building a rod sounds interesting. Just how hard is it to build a rod, and do I need any pricey special equipment? Also, could $30-$40 get me the stuff to build a decent rod? I'd be starting with something light, probably about a 5.5' medium action graphite model for pond fishing for bass from the bank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

try www.jannsnetcraft.com they sell rod building supplies and it will give you some idea as to what is involved...

Most of the tools for building rods I use I swiped from my fly tying setup (sissors, bobbin, bodkin, burnisher, etc) and the rest I made. The only thing you can't easily make is a finish turning motor, which needs to turn the rod at less than 15rpm to make the finish smooth and even. Cabelas has decent finishing motors for around $20 and you can build a stand for it with some scrap wood. Cabelas also has decent kits with graphite blanks...everything you need to complete a rod for under $65. www.mudhole.com has a lot of components, as well as a tutorial section and lots of pics.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Check out the rod building forum

Also there is a rod builders convention next Feb at Charlotte SC I am just getting started myself. Hope to get supplies at the convention for a new surf rod.