Winter Flounder II - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Flounder II

I have never caught a regular flounder in the bay, therefore they are not there.

Good logic!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I have caught flounder at Matapeake, SPSP, and at the 450 bridge. My bait of choice is a weakfish spoon tipped with a long piece of squid. Cast and drag S-L-O-W-L-Y on the bottom.

Largest one I have taken was from the beach near the 450 bridge and was 19" long...and good eating!

I was reading a artical in The Fisherman and they said that they were Striper fishing with bloodworms in the surf south of IRI.They were fishing close in because thats where the Stripers lurk,but they got bored and started casting as long as they could cast.Then one guy pulled in a large Winter Flounder;others did the same.Everyone fishing that day pulled in 4-5 big Flounder wile surf fishing that one Good Friday.What a story;I guess anything is possible.At least I know they're in Deleware.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I beleive there is a population of winter flounder in the Chesapeake it's just that no one targets them. Those that do fish in the winter are usually after strippers and chances of catching flounder are nonexistent. As far a summer flounder in the bay is concerned, we're loaded with them. This past summer while using liver for catfish off of Miller Island I caught quite a few of small flounder. If I were to target flounder in that area using small bullhead minnows I'm sure I would have been quite successful.

How many people do you think target flounder in the upper bay. I think it would be safe to say ZERO but the fish are there. I think the same holds true for winter flounder. They're there but nobody is targeting them. I'd almost be willing to bet that you could fish the Tank right now chumming with razor clams and corn and catch winter flounder. As a matter of fact I think I just might do that in a couple of weeks.

Catman.

Try this link TDK.
    Dont know if it help or not up north. http://www.n-jcenter.com/2002/nov/1/fish3.htm

T------Lines

Kozlow

Maybe when the weather warms up a little I'll try for them at Cape Henlopen with bloodworms.Maybe around Ash Weds?If other people wan't to try for them too in Md/Del; let me know where you were fishing,what bait you used,and how you did.

I think Cape Henlopen or the Broadkill would be good spots, roosevelt too.

Greetings All!

Link to MD commercial landngs of winter flounder:
    http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/mdcom...fm?Spcode=1199

Aparently the winter flounder population is cyclical, but they're there!

Too bad the season in NJ is closed. I'm itchin for some fishin. Going on a private offshore seabass charter on the 13th with the gang from the other site which shall not be named here as to avoid the wrath of Eric G!

Greetings Duke of Fluke!

Marine Forecast for 01/13/03 says 20 knot winds from the NW changing to westerly @ 15-20 knots and 2 to 4 foot waves .... may not be a bad day if you dress for the cold. We'll have to do some flattie fishing come March! Good fishing to ya!

I wonder if Flounder could be caught right now;Ling is another spiecies of fish you can catch in cooler waters too.Even people surf fishing with bloodworms at 3rs can catch Winter Flounder;I think thats where the Flouder in the Fisherman artical were caught .

HP,

Tried to get some bloodworms for this weekend and was told that they are not available. Would like to try 3R's for flounder though. Just might give it a shot with some flounder jigs and cut squid dragged s-l-o-w-l-y accross the bottom this weekend although I plan on targeting the stripers in the inlet.

Hello Floundermen I have enjoyed all of your replies. As stated by the DNR ther are winter flounder in the chesapeake bay. The reason that catches are not reported is because the only thing that anglers in our area catch are rockfish. boring boring boring....Captain Ron and I catch these tasty flats in our area each year . Fish hard ....Outgoing tide is best.......

When the water temp gets in the lower 50's I'll probily try for them; they might cure my cabin fever.I'll probily try 3rs and Cape Henlopen Pier.I know I probliy asked this question,but do Winter Flounder bite at night?I've caught Summer Flounder at night

No Idea about the night bite. I doubt it though.

I'll probily do some daytime fishing for them in March.I won't be fishing any time soon with weather like this;maybe as cold as 5F tonight .

I found the following posted at "the other site", take note of the Rehobeth bay part:

"I haven't fished for Winter Flounder since I was a kid and made a promise that I am going to give it a shot this March.
    I recently was able to acquire a Flounder Fishing book that appears to be circa 1965-1968. It contains several good tips and covers the entire gamut of chum and bait. What is very interesting about the book is that it references several locations in New Jersey and Delaware as places to fish. It indicates that fishing for WF in Cape May begins in January and lasts through May. It also stated that many 3-4 pound WF are caught in Cape May but that these larger fish haven't been around in the last few years (relative comment to the book's date). It also indicates that Rehobeth Bay in Delaware is a good WF spot. Both these comments surprised me as I never thought there was a fishery for WF as far south as Cape May yet alone Delaware."

anyone try for those winter flounder in virginia beach yet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12