Pier and Surf Forum banner

Looking for up to date pendulum casting tutorial video ?

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  BeachBob 
#1 ·
I bought a rod that cast over 900 feet and have a number or reels capable. I need some guide to study while the weather is waiting to hit spring. All suggestions appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Bruce,

Is your goal to cast 900' in competition or to improve your fishing cast?

I have seen it over and over. Guys see videos on you tube and immediately believe that the pendulum cast is the way to big distance. Without hesitation, I can tell you that the groundcast is the fundamental cast. It allows you to practice fundamental techniques without the complication of a swinging sinker. Learning to properly execute the finish, or "HIT", of a powercast will pay dividends much quicker than trying to control a swinging sinker before you are ready.

A properly executed groundcast will outperform even a good pendulum cast and it will provide the "groundwork" for you to be successful with the pendulum. Learning and practicing the right fundamentals will take you far.

FYI, I have held all of the records in the USA and have broken the overall record with a flat arc pendulum, a high swing pendulum and, yes the groundcast. I didn't start competing until I was almost 40 and had to work hard to learn the techniques to beat the young whipper snappers... :)

I have a DVD that will help. It covers the fundamentals and also details on several different styles, including the pendulum cast.

https://www.carolinacastpro.com/categories/power-casting-dvd

Tommy

#6 ·
my goal is to cast, surf, as far as I can. Grass cast is practice, no world record ambitions. I can cast fairly far but need the extra because the NJ beaches are very shallow and long at high tides. I would need 1000 feet in wildwood just to get the lead under water at high tide. Lifeguard told me the sand bar is out there but the stop us from walking out to it.

#8 ·
I haven't seen Tommy's video yet... guess you will soon. Nick Meyer at Breakaway USA has a casting video out there that I just happened to purchase and download this week. It has very little guidance on tackle and other important details, but it focuses very well on the actual swing of a cast. He goes over Brighton, off-the-ground and pendulum casts and even demonstrates the use of a casting practice device that can be made at home and used anywhere.

Worth getting, but keep in mind this will not be your end-all be-all casting reference video.

#10 ·
Though it’s not a video, I really recommend a book called Long Distance Casting by John Holden. Geniunely useful. It’s only available used but is well worth finding.

As for YouTube, search on ‘Distance Casting’ and ‘Surf Casting” and go by the number of likes versus views. There are a lot of gems.

#11 ·
Holden's book is probably the gold standard of written material, and he has videos on YouTube as well. I have a well worn copy that is over 30 years old.
I'm not new at the game by any means, but I still have not seen videos on YouTube that were more clear or informative.
Besides, Tommy speaks Southern, my native language. :)

#16 ·
I can and do but I seem to get into trouble. Inconsistent, break offs, bird nests, the usual frustrations.I use spinner and conventional. Its funny to launch a 150 gram lead and watch a sinker go in one direction and the bait into a seagulls mouth. I put too much into the finish I think. I've snapped sinkers practicing and walked 1000feet and no sign of the fluorescent 25' leader with sinker. I have the reels, lots of them; Zzeta, rocket, abu, penn, custom made for me bearings, started diamond polishing some, thanks to Tommy Farmers tips, but the rods sweet spot eludes me. Thats why I bought another rod. I just got 4500 meters of night crystal to start up again and fresh supply of N52 magnets. 100 pounds of lead for sinkers.
I've watched lots of casting and casting tutorials, I can't follow the lead so I'm not sure of the timing. Hopefully the Farmer video clues me in. I even got a greek tackle shop to forward mig 21 sinkers from Roma foundry in Italy. Peckers in Italy won't ship to me. I may carve a mould,
airplane shape to help, lol.

#22 · (Edited)
been watching Tommy's video and then practicing. Relearning isn't as easy as I expected. Not one break off since the video. Just got a GoPro so I can better tune myself. Tommy has clear instruction. A YouTube guy is getting tuned for the world tournament if the wuhan virus permits. He has short videos. Tommys video works very well for me and I can blend his teaching to get the extra distance I'm after. I'm moving the reel down to get a longer arm spread for a better finish. I will see on video how well I load the rod. The sweet spot isn't quite feeling right yet.

I ordered a bunch of mig 21 sinkers and some flinn sinkers. its so hard to get shipments to usa from Italy. I go on amazon.co.uk to order and got lucky on the Fondera Roma mig 21s but had to get the others from black dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.