Looking for up to date pendulum casting tutorial video ?

Thread: Looking for up to date pendulum casting tutorial video ?

Looking for up to date pendulum casting tutorial video ?

I bought a rod that cast over 900 feet and have a number or reels capable. I need some guide to study while the weather is waiting to hit spring. All suggestions appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Up to date?
    Nothing wrong with the ones out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by NJbruce View Post
    I bought a rod that cast over 900 feet and have a number or reels capable. I need some guide to study while the weather is waiting to hit spring. All suggestions appreciated.
    What kind of rod?

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Bruce,

Is your goal to cast 900' in competition or to improve your fishing cast?

I have seen it over and over. Guys see videos on you tube and immediately believe that the pendulum cast is the way to big distance. Without hesitation, I can tell you that the groundcast is the fundamental cast. It allows you to practice fundamental techniques without the complication of a swinging sinker. Learning to properly execute the finish, or "HIT", of a powercast will pay dividends much quicker than trying to control a swinging sinker before you are ready.

A properly executed groundcast will outperform even a good pendulum cast and it will provide the "groundwork" for you to be successful with the pendulum. Learning and practicing the right fundamentals will take you far.

FYI, I have held all of the records in the USA and have broken the overall record with a flat arc pendulum, a high swing pendulum and, yes the groundcast. I didn't start competing until I was almost 40 and had to work hard to learn the techniques to beat the young whipper snappers...

I have a DVD that will help. It covers the fundamentals and also details on several different styles, including the pendulum cast.

https://www.carolinacastpro.com/cate...er-casting-dvd

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy; 02-07-2020 at 11:59 AM.

I ordered your video.

my goal is to cast, surf, as far as I can. Grass cast is practice, no world record ambitions. I can cast fairly far but need the extra because the NJ beaches are very shallow and long at high tides. I would need 1000 feet in wildwood just to get the lead under water at high tide. Lifeguard told me the sand bar is out there but the stop us from walking out to it.

I bought Tommy Farmer’s video and was quite disappointed. The videography was good but the content was frustratingly repetitive. For me, videos by others on YouTube have been considerably more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJbruce View Post
    I haven't seen Tommy's video yet... guess you will soon. Nick Meyer at Breakaway USA has a casting video out there that I just happened to purchase and download this week. It has very little guidance on tackle and other important details, but it focuses very well on the actual swing of a cast. He goes over Brighton, off-the-ground and pendulum casts and even demonstrates the use of a casting practice device that can be made at home and used anywhere.

Worth getting, but keep in mind this will not be your end-all be-all casting reference video.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingAgain View Post
    I bought Tommy Farmer’s video and was quite disappointed. The videography was good but the content was frustratingly repetitive. For me, videos by others on YouTube have been considerably more helpful.
    Which videos on Youtube?

I've watched many casting videos including Tommy's on Youtube.
    I've not seen any that are clearer or more informative on power casting.

Thanks,

BlaineO

Though it’s not a video, I really recommend a book called Long Distance Casting by John Holden. Geniunely useful. It’s only available used but is well worth finding.

As for YouTube, search on ‘Distance Casting’ and ‘Surf Casting” and go by the number of likes versus views. There are a lot of gems.

Holden's book is probably the gold standard of written material, and he has videos on YouTube as well. I have a well worn copy that is over 30 years old.
    I'm not new at the game by any means, but I still have not seen videos on YouTube that were more clear or informative.
    Besides, Tommy speaks Southern, my native language.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingAgain View Post
    GFA,

I'm sorry you found the video disappointing. The repetition was by design, to keep viewers from having to constantly back up and replay segments. My goal was to break the fundamentals down to a step by step process that was easy to follow. The producer has done many instructional DVD's and believes (as do I) that repetition is the key to successfully learning the fundamentals.

I wish you much success in your quest for more distance!

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.