Bluefish restrictions in NC - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluefish restrictions in NC

This drag was posted today on a local fb group I'm in. SC, but they were caught at the NC/SC border near Little River.

I love the ocean, I love the coastal life, I know the fishermen, I'm happy to buy their fresh grouper and triggerfish and sheepshead, but I hate seeing the net by catch. Whenever someone asks they make sure to mention they throw the speckled trout, flounder, weakfish, and drum back. But we know they're already dead from being drug in the net and if they're alive they still have to survive the birds.

Do the whiting and croaker and spot and herring and shad get turned into crab bait or chum? Probably. Even if not, no doubt it gets eaten by birds and fish. But how much can it take? I don't know.

Food for thought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I forget how much a commercial wreck fish license is new, but the quote I heard was around 45k....... Inshores a bit different, but inshore shrimping and the 5 gallon bucket committee need to be dealt with...... Charter fellahs have enough to deal with, and I'm speaking for the real guys like DD and a few friends of mine, every jack leg with a captains license is hopping on board. 40inch reds, I suggest you go to the bars in Snead's ferry and approach the group of fellahs driving rusted pickups with nets in the back, and voice your opinions and see if it isn't changed quickly

Just so you donít think Iím lying about my bait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

But I guess we can agree to disagree. Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
    Just so you donít think Iím lying about my bait.
    Well one more fella decimating the baby mullet population for his own personal avarice with a cast net.

Why not let them grow up to spawn, if you are all about the resource?

Greed only matters when it is the other man's.

Perhaps if you stayed the whole year on Hatteras you would learn that every year 100,000 folks just like you bring a cast net and all involved have pounded the mullet into near oblivion.

Marine Fisheries was talking about a total moratorium on Striped Mullet to force people to back off and let them rebound.

It may not happen this year, but the ban will happen on Striped Mullet eventually and no doubt you and the other 100,000 cast netters will blame a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    I forget how much a commercial wreck fish license is new, but the quote I heard was around 45k....... Inshores a bit different, but inshore shrimping and the 5 gallon bucket committee need to be dealt with...... Charter fellahs have enough to deal with, and I'm speaking for the real guys like DD and a few friends of mine, every jack leg with a captains license is hopping on board. 40inch reds, I suggest you go to the bars in Snead's ferry and approach the group of fellahs driving rusted pickups with nets in the back, and voice your opinions and see if it isn't changed quickly
    I like fishing the Sneads Ferry backwaters, New River Inlet and the surf, so exactly what would those fellows driving rusty pick -ups with nets in the back have to say?, I drive a rusty pick-up by the way.

That's why I said most license are cheap, most of the high prices ones are priced that way as a barrier to entry and even then some of them are limited to people who are granted in and they lease their license or sell them to people like I said earlier it's part of the problem or the permit and license process is very selective and unfair. You should talk to some of those Snead commercial fishers and see how they feel about the rules and regulations. All the commercial fishers I know have some form of dissatisfaction with limits, regs, etc. I talk with plenty of people who are rough on the edges and often have conflicting opinions it's not a big deal it's life. I'm sure we'd find things we disagreed and agreed on. Like I said I grew up around commercial fishing and know plenty of them and know it well. There are so many crabbers around my way now compared to how it used to be a lot of the old timers have seen a decline in numbers and even with price increases they don't make what they used to. Oysters are at a all time high price wise and now they limit who they will license and people have to buy leases from private people. The shrimping got so bad that the only people who do it now are trawlers and the number of the small scale and big boats fell off but got replaced by boats from Georgia and Florida looking for better grounds. We got commercial offshore fishers coming up from Florida because it's a little better up here then down there and most our good fish go north because they pay much more. Our flounder come from North Carolina in most our markets and our major oyster festivals started doing imported oysters to reduce impacts on local stocks. Even our docks get boxes of shrimp to sell to supplement local stocks. Evey aspect is over fished, or soon to be.

That's actually a pretty clean pull for a shrimp trawler and is probably why they posted it. I've seen much worse. When they hit a school of Ray's it's pretty bad, the tails get tangled and it's hell to deal with. I've seen them pics of pretty bad hauls. My buddy worked a boat last season and had to quit because he good paid on a percent of the cage and he said he wasn't making minimum wage by a long shot and got tires of dealing with by-catch

So here we are, again, commercials vs. the recs, or vice versa, some left this forum for just this reason, different opinions. So what are the ''facts''?, if there are less fish (certain species), who is killing more?

Garbo you crack me up. Lol. You just love to stir the shit. I tried to agree to disagree but you just canít let it go. So Iíll be the better man and go on to other things. So, you can argue with someone else that has more time to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    This drag was posted today on a local fb group I'm in. SC, but they were caught at the NC/SC border near Little River.

I love the ocean, I love the coastal life, I know the fishermen, I'm happy to buy their fresh grouper and triggerfish and sheepshead, but I hate seeing the net by catch. Whenever someone asks they make sure to mention they throw the speckled trout, flounder, weakfish, and drum back. But we know they're already dead from being drug in the net and if they're alive they still have to survive the birds.

Do the whiting and croaker and spot and herring and shad get turned into crab bait or chum? Probably. Even if not, no doubt it gets eaten by birds and fish. But how much can it take? I don't know.

Food for thought.
    Pretty much what I have experienced when I USED to net many years back. I have a friend who abuses his commercial license right now. Everything was dead or the birds got it throwing it back in. Commercial license are abused and should be regulated far far more.

Yes, people should be allowed to make a living but as with the coal industry things change. The world fish population as a whole did not get where its at by recreational fishing.

I can see both sides but being static with it now as is will not produce results. Commercial fishing must be regulated and ENFORCED to make fish population changes. If they want to nail the rec fisherman I am fine with that too but ENFORCE it.

Yeap when I was born there were 180 million people in this country.........now there is almost double. Its past time to regulate ourselves too and we don't need MORE people coming in either.

So what do y'all think of the non- commercial who has a commercial licence so he can gig lots of flounder for his and his friends freezer, then sells the rest?

I think you mean small scale commercial. I respect that more then a poacher which a lot do, or the guy with two coolers, one with one keeper fish where he is fishing and the other stashed where he fills it with poached fish. They give the best excuses back in my day that was the limit, I've been fishing them since before they had a limit, my family's been fishing this area for generations

3 is plenty to feed most families a meal. I dont get why u need any more than that. Catch and release bluefish. Fishing does not have to be about killing. The kill kill kill mentality has to change. It never will commercially, but recreationally, there is hope. If you have to show off your catch take a damn picture.

Quote Originally Posted by poppop1 View Post
    I like fishing the Sneads Ferry backwaters, New River Inlet and the surf, so exactly what would those fellows driving rusty pick -ups with nets in the back have to say?, I drive a rusty pick-up by the way.
    I was referring to his everything is the commercials fault view point......

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfsh View Post
    So what do y'all think of the non- commercial who has a commercial licence so he can gig lots of flounder for his and his friends freezer, then sells the rest?
    That IS the definition of a poacher.. Yes he bought one license,then abused it by breaking a law to sell the fish.. Also I feel certain there is a limit on giggers as to how many they can keep and have in possession,unlike full time netters..

Quote Originally Posted by Eltonjohn View Post
    3 is plenty to feed most families a meal. I dont get why u need any more than that. Catch and release bluefish. Fishing does not have to be about killing. The kill kill kill mentality has to change. It never will commercially, but recreationally, there is hope. If you have to show off your catch take a damn picture.
    Yes,three is plenty for harvest.. BUT,one puppy drum is not enough for most families that actually eat fish..

Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is... the problem is the mentality of taking as much as u can as opposed to taking as much as u need. We are raping nature and not coexisting with it. Imagine an ocean without human interference... if more regulations on fish harvest happen the commercial guys will eventually receive more money for their catch and rec/charter guys will see more fish and more trophy sized fish. Would a charter client rather catch and release a trophy sized fish or scrap a couple of small fish that he can keep? I bet they would opt for the catch and release trophy. The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.

"Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is..."

It don't always work that way.. Usually you find drum,or you find seamullet,or you find a bunch of blluefish,sometimes mixed with spanish.. If they (cca along with an enviro group) had their way with this "let them grow" bill,I doubt you would have had many sea mullet to add to that equation,unless there were some really NICE ONES to be caught.. Also striped mullet would have been a major problem for bait.. There are places in Europe that only allow one caught fish,no catch and release,if caught fishing after one is caught,you get fined.. That is NOT what I want.. I like to harvest once and a while,I do not freeze fish.. My son and I are the only ones eating,so I take what is necessary to feed the two of us and the rest go back.. I've taken out parties for triggers as well as seabass and have limited them on what numbers they keep,and go on to another species if possible.. When I take folks out we go by limits or catch and release.. As bad as I want more than one puppy drum that is all I keep.. That is not enough to feed my son and I usually try to catch some seamullet or bluefish to supplement.. That doesn't always happen,so it's off to the seafood market for some shrimp.. Com fishing is a rough life,no doubt,and yes they will have to adapt,although everyone that eats seafood or uses it for bait would have a problem if there is none to be had unless you fished with hook and line and provided your own.. With some of the regs they have and are trying to implement now,that will be a struggle..

The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
    It takes more than fishing skill to be a fishing guide. Come on now.

Then again it might make a fair reality show, pairing a random com with a googan for a day on the water. Bonus if googan has to tie his own knots while using com's tackle.

Some folks are prone to oversimplied, glorious solutions, and reality gets drowned out in resultant unicorn feces. That makes it impossible to find the balance needed to keep everything moving smoothly along.

Then again maybe we should invest in re-training schools where coal miners and commercial fishermen can learn to program. Boom, problem solved.

The menhaden in Chesapeake Bay are being ďharvestedĒ without regard to the biomass which lives
    on them and used for pet food. But guess what happens to the striper population when there is no
    regard for that biomass of menhaden. Less rockfish. The analogy is to the market hunters of old
    shooting passenger pigeons to extinction. The competing interests must be balanced in deference
    to the population being decimated. And commercial fishermen have the most impact because of the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Rebel View Post
    The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
    It takes more than fishing skill to be a fishing guide. Come on now.

Then again it might make a fair reality show, pairing a random com with a googan for a day on the water. Bonus if googan has to tie his own knots while using com's tackle.

Some folks are prone to oversimplied, glorious solutions, and reality gets drowned out in resultant unicorn feces. That makes it impossible to find the balance needed to keep everything moving smoothly along.

Then again maybe we should invest in re-training schools where coal miners and commercial fishermen can learn to program. Boom, problem solved.
    I totally agree that would be a great reality show. . I was more thinking of future generations of watermen. A change has to happen. Each year we get better at catching more and more fish commercially and recreationally. Also, I have worked as a commercial fisherman and know exactly the struggles that come with that profession.

Quote Originally Posted by cpicken View Post
    The menhaden in Chesapeake Bay are being “harvested” without regard to the biomass which lives
    on them and used for pet food. But guess what happens to the striper population when there is no
    regard for that biomass of menhaden. Less rockfish. The analogy is to the market hunters of old
    shooting passenger pigeons to extinction. The competing interests must be balanced in deference
    to the population being decimated. And commercial fishermen have the most impact because of the numbers.
    I've never ridden on a pigeon, is it a one seater or two?

Looks like the menhaden is going to be turned over to vmrc from the general assembly, following a moratorium. I'd expect some big changes coming soon.

Kill, Kill; Kill; That's the ticket !

Jeep Girl
    Last edited by JeepGirl; 02-13-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Agreed one puppy drum is not enough, but one puppy drum 3 bluefish and some sea mullet certainly is... the problem is the mentality of taking as much as u can as opposed to taking as much as u need. We are raping nature and not coexisting with it. Imagine an ocean without human interference... if more regulations on fish harvest happen the commercial guys will eventually receive more money for their catch and rec/charter guys will see more fish and more trophy sized fish. Would a charter client rather catch and release a trophy sized fish or scrap a couple of small fish that he can keep? I bet they would opt for the catch and release trophy. The commercial guys barely making enough money to buy that 24pk of Busch Ice could take rich guys fishing from all over the country and actually make a decent living. Unfortunately no one wants to adapt aND change.
    I agree. Too much take in many circumstances. I don't like seeing so much bycatch but I realize that if there wasn't a demand they wouldn't be out there. I work in a controversial field every day extracting oil and natural gas via hydraulic fracturing. People actually hate workers in my field because of a whole lot of misunderstanding. But, they'd see oilfield workers even as much as die if it were up to them. I simply point to their gasoline powered car and tell them that if y'all didn't create a demand nobody would be doing it. We need to come together and help each other. Commercial and recs alike. We share a resource and we both depend on it for work and leisure. Let's learn how to share. Learn how to take less. If people at Capt George's only ate two plates of fish instead of 3 or cut down on how much shrimp they ate or oysters etc imagine how much less those guys would be fishing. We create the demand, not them. They are just out there getting what we want.

I know this is a hot issue and that the regs have been a source of heated arguments for years. However I don't know enough about commercial fishing, shrimping, numbers, or any of the stuff to make an argument.

I do know that recreational flounder regs, blues regs, etc don't really make sense without enforcement. Is it just me, or is there practically no license or limit checking of recreational coastal anglers? I've surf fished for 30 years, from Crystal Coast to Carolla and not once been checked by an officer or seen one checking. I've done a ton of pier fishing too at Kure. Do they only check selective spots at certain times? I've seen on the KB FB page on occasion that they were checking coolers but I've never seen them. I've only been to the point a few times, I'm mostly at Davis, Wrightsville, and Ft. Fisher last 15 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12