Pier and Surf Forum banner

Fathom 2 15 SD vs Casting Special

12K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  NJbruce 
#1 ·
What's the verdict on these two reels? Gonna sell my last 525 and buy a new reel.

#2 ·
If the 525 is still in the box you'll get a good price otherwise keep it as a backup because with the new Fathom II's out and not super expensive the used 525 market is slipping fast , Why buy yesterdays technology when the new reels have more to offer . l say get the Casting Special if the knob is in the way of how you hold the rod you can put the regular mag short knob on it and still have the advantage of the bearing system that it uses .

#6 ·
If you go with the casting special you will most likely want to change the mag knob out. It's very simple to do, and that reel holds a lot of line. I'm going to put 150 yards of 25lb braid on mine as a backer so I don't have to strip it all the way down when I re spool.

#7 ·
Sell something else if you need the cash to get the CS.

I’ve heard of too many people who have sold there 525’s only to regret it later on ... Don’t sell it! Keep it for your grandchildren if nothing else. Have it CLA’d and hold on to it. Call it a trust worthy back up if you must have a reason, just hold onto it. Trust me you’ll be happy you did. I’ve had people offer me double my 525’s cost on the beach, in cash ($600).

#8 ·
I'm not sure why everyone thinks 525's are so special , There good reels but they have their issues too , Don't get me wrong I've had them and still have one in the box but if someone offered me 600.00 for it , Sold!! and if anyone does have 600. and wants a in the box , US made , early model with metal throw lever PM me

#12 ·
525's are selling for short of 200.00 fully mint and 100.00 abused. I've built, tuned, rebuilt, dozens. I ebay them all but ebay is becoming a den of thieves. Keep the reel, the drag can be fixed, I do them everyday. I also modify the mags and use insane hybrid bearings, its like a whole new class of reel. I have a few crappy videos on YouTube. you can source a knobby mag end and add extra magnets under the existing 8. The part is over 50.00 from ebay UK. The tournamag, monomag end is about 35.00, no clicker, but works best for loooong casts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.