Pier and Surf Forum banner

Jet Turbo Motor On My Yak

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Papa-T 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I know I will probably get some criticism on my new setup but I like it, and that’s what counts. I decided to mount a 3HP Jet Turbo “The Cut” motor on my Ocean Kayak. I mainly fish the bays at the coast and some of the places I fish are a good distance out and now that I’m turning 55 I get worn out faster now. Anyway, I made a custom motor mount and used yak attack rails with backing plates for strength. I’ve tried it out so far in fresh water and all works great. I’m still breaking in the motor with a 25:1 oil mix so that’s why it’s smoking the way it is.

#7 ·
Next time I take it to the lake I will get a video and post it. I plan to take it back to a fresh water lake once more to get through the 25:1 oil break-in period before I take it to Hatteras in April. Thanks for the interest. Just waiting for a day in the 50’s.

#11 ·
I’m not sure but even pulling my wife’s kayak it was clipping along. Sure will save me a lot of energy getting to my distance fishing spots. The second video shows me pulling my wife in her kayak. First video is me just puttering around.

#13 ·
Well thought I would post on my 3 HP Jet turbo motor. Got back last Wednesday from two weeks at Hatteras. The motor did really great. Going out to my favorite areas this time was a breeze. Skipped right out and rarely touched the paddle. Was fishing way out in the sound one day and the wind picked up quick. Decided I better head back in. Returning with the wind in my face and white caps. I would’ve been exhausted trying to paddle back through all that. Just motored back in with no problems.
Vehicle Boat Water transportation Watercraft Angling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.