CCP 8-12 butt extension

Thread: CCP 8-12 butt extension

CCP 8-12 butt extension

Hey Tommy, I've got to the point where I'm feeling a bit of extra leverage would help out my aching joints. My 8-12 factory rod is 32" to center of reel seat, but if I added a 6" extension, it may assist my old, decrepit self. Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
    Hey Tommy, I've got to the point where I'm feeling a bit of extra leverage would help out my aching joints. My 8-12 factory rod is 32" to center of reel seat, but if I added a 6" extension, it may assist my old, decrepit self. Your thoughts?
    Take the butt of the rod and put it in the center of chest. Lay the rod across your body and then reach out as far as you can and grab the rod with your thumb. The furthest you can grab with your arm straight will represent you grabbing the center of your spool. I guarantee that spot will be further up on the rod that it currently is. Measure that distance from where your spool currently sits and then that should be the minimum of how much you should extend your butt. Always okay to go a little longer, you can always choke up.

My rods used to have the reel seat at 30" from the butt and now every heaver I own sits at 35" from the butt.

Got long arms. 32 + 6 hits the old sternum. How best to add an extension versus having to relocate the reel seat.

Got long arms. 32 + 6 hits the old sternum. How best to add an extension versus having to relocate the reel seat.
    A quality rod builder can do it. I believe process is called sleeving. I've had it done twice. Nick Walke at Nick's Custom Rods and Bryan Lester at Hatteras Custom Rods are the two builders that have done this for me. Nick is in Nags Head, NC and Bryan is in Buxton, NC.

Having the reel seat position in the right spot for your body makes a world of difference. I was castling like a T-Rex before I got my rods built for body type.

Thanks a million. Have a lot of confidence in both. Will check em out.

Joe, You will need a shaft with an outside diameter just slightly smaller almost matching the inside diameter of the rod butt. Epoxy at least 2 inches of the extension shaft in the butt then build up the O.D of the six inch extension to match the O.D. Of the rod blank. It might be tough to find an extension to match up. You will need access to broken rods or possible broken golf shafts. That’s a lot to extent I would really think hard about just having a new custom built.

Here's a place to start looking for tubing.

https://goodwinds.com/catalog/cleara...bon-tubes.html

They have other selections available.

" Epoxy at least 2 inches of the extension shaft in the butt then build up the O.D "

I would go with a minimum of 4 inches and would prefer 5 or 6 inches into the handle. That would be followed up with a double thread over wrap for the overlap of the extension and handle. Use size D nylon thread and rod wrapping epoxy. You could build up the extension with almost anything. Nylon cordage and rod wrapping epoxy would be good. Do not use wood based products or paper (paper includes masking tape).

Rod wrapping epoxy can be expensive in small quantities. Varathane or varnish may be acceptable. Make sure it is water proof.

Consider finishing up with a section of heat shrink for grip and casting comfort.

Joe,

Yes the butt can be extended. The factory seat is set at 32", which is pretty darn close for most. That is the trouble with factory built rods, they are designed for "the masses" and may not be ideal for those with shorter or longer than average arms.

Do you travel to hatteras? If so, I can hook you up with the guy that does my custom rods with extensions. You can reply here or contact me direct.

Tommy