Lots of Panfish today

Thread: Lots of Panfish today

Lots of Panfish today

Caught a break in the rain so my neighbor and I went fishing to the local creek. It started out very slow with me catching two very small yellow perch on plastics. We switched over to some of my shad darts under a float. We tipped them with the least amount of night crawler we could pinch off and started picking up panfish and golden shiners. We caught several dozen hand sized sunfish and a dozen or so of the golden shiners. They all fought really hard on ultralight tackle. The picture of the golden shiner is from a couple of weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

That is a large shiner. This must be shiner time. I am also catching them in the lake I fish. But mine are only 4-5".

Those darts look real nice with the gold flashabou

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thaweatherman View Post
    Those darts look real nice with the gold flashabou
    Thanks, they seem to work well. The panfish, shiners and even trout seem to prefer the gold. Crappies seem to like chartreuse better.

Andy, the shiners were anywhere from 5 to maybe 7 inches but they were really fat and fought like a trout!

Jerry, they say they are great bait for largemouth bass. But I'm having too much fun fishing for pan fish. LOL! We used shiners for bass on Lake Okachobee in FL. PS. I'm getting ready to use my Jerry's orange darts with minnows for yellow perch when they show up.

Tide was really blown out yesterday and it was cold. Only got about half a dozen small yellows on a trout magnet fished on the bottom with a really slow retrieve. No pictures.

Question for Jerry. I'm getting tired of casting jigs for yellow perch and only catching one now and then. We can't buy minnows around here, and not good for trapping minnows. Can yellow perch be caught with store bought worms on a Mono home made double bottom rig? I would like to bait up, sit in SUV and wait for a bite. Using small circle hooks hoping they will hook them self. Be fishing in the rain this morning. Getting lazy/ fishing with all work picked out.

See my answer on the other post.