Penn 750 SS

Thread: Penn 750 SS

Penn 750 SS

I have been using a Penn 750 SS for tog with 40# mono. A fisherman next to me last time I was out, talked me into using 60# braid. Would this reel handle the braid, I fish tog at inlets and jetties. I wouldn't be casting to far. His reel did look smaller than mine, more like a 4000 series or a 5000 series. Thank you .

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

If you are currently using 40# mono you should be fine with the braid. Use some electrical tape or mono backing to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

Here's a question, do you fish snafu rigs or jigs? If you fish snafu bottom rigs the heavy braid is the way to go. I use 65#braid with 80# Fluoro snafu rig on a seigler sg/ shimano heavy teramar wreck fishing. I'll step it down to a 50# rig in the bay. If you use jigs you want lighter braid. I use 20# with a 30# fluoro leader with 1 to 2 oz tog jig with a 4500 spinfisher setup in the bay and from shore also. The jigs don't work well with heavy braid because of the braid drags in the current.

Thanks Benji, I use a single hook rig with a 2 to 4 oz dipdsey sinker I get at the tackle store. I'll only be fishing from shore on the rocks or at a bulkhead. I've never fished tog with a jig. Guy said most guys at the inlet use 60# to 80# braid, But to stick with 60# or even 65#.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

You should try the jig on a lighter setup. You still bait the jig with crab or sand flea. It gives way better bite detection.

Thanks, I'll look them up online.

I like the bottom sweeper brand or magictail brand. Brown or green. Brown with fiddler or blue crab. Green with shrimp, sand fleas, or green crab.

Thanks again. I'll get them and try them. Do you still use a sinker with them or just the jig and bait.

Just the jig and bait.

Thank's.