Question: Looking For Blues

Thread: Looking For Blues

Looking For Blues

Hey everyone! After years of being out of fishing I’ve decided to get back into it. Some of my greatest memories as a kid was blue fishing with my Dad on the Long Island sound. Call it nostalgia but I would love to do some blue fishing near the Myrtle Beach area from the beach or jetties. Any tips/places someone could give me? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

It's the tail end for the year but you might be able to find some right now if there is bait around. Cut mullet is the way to go if you can get fresh. Frozen is very mushy but they'll still hit it, if something isn't stealing your bait. If you can't get fresh I would chunk or fillet whatever you can catch on a bait rod (whiting, croaker, spot, other bluefish) with shrimp or a small piece of Fishbites. I never target them but catch plenty on fishfinder rigs. You can use the commercial rigs with floats if you want.

If you see bait getting hit within casting range just throw anything shiny or even a piece of fresh mullet at it and you'll hook up in a few seconds. Otherwise it's a sit and soak bait game.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    It's the tail end for the year but you might be able to find some right now if there is bait around. Cut mullet is the way to go if you can get fresh. Frozen is very mushy but they'll still hit it, if something isn't stealing your bait. If you can't get fresh I would chunk or fillet whatever you can catch on a bait rod (whiting, croaker, spot, other bluefish) with shrimp or a small piece of Fishbites. I never target them but catch plenty on fishfinder rigs. You can use the commercial rigs with floats if you want.

If you see bait getting hit within casting range just throw anything shiny or even a piece of fresh mullet at it and you'll hook up in a few seconds. Otherwise it's a sit and soak bait game.
    I fished for blues in Garden City last Friday. Nothing but small ones left 8 to 10 inches max.