Pier and Surf Forum banner

Pier fishing tackle

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PierRat4Life 
#1 ·
Hi, All. This coming fishing season I would like to do a lot more pier fishing. I have surf gear, jetty gear. I'll be fishing the pier at Cape Henlopen DE, The piers in O.C.Md. What rods size, reels, spinning or conventional . Line I figure would be mono. Been a long time since I fished from a pier. Thank's.:confused:

#2 ·
I fish the piers in SC and most use different gear for different target fish. I just use a mix of my other gear.
Sometimes I'd fish in the surf and sometimes out at the end and I would trolley rig for Spanish and king mackerel, other times I'd fish for big drums, Ray's, and sharks on the end.
So my setups I'd usually take was battle 3000 10# braid combo for Artie's and bait fishing, bg 4000 30# braid combo for heavy Artie's and bait fishing, 9 ft glass rod and a bg 8000 65# braid for the big stuff, trolley rig stuff 15ft spinning rod for anchor rod 6500 reel with 20# mono and 7ft fighting rod with a conventional reel with at least 300yds of 20# mono, 12ft casting rod for anchor with a casting reel and a 7ft fighting rod with a conventional reel with 300yds of 20# mono. A tackle bag with a mix of tackle, a cast net with a extended rope, two buckets stacked so I can put live bait in them, a bait bubbler, a little cooler for food and drinks sun screen, bug spray. Different days I'd bring different stuff, some days I'd bring it all and fish different things for different times of day and tides. Id usually bring more then what I'd use but you never know what's gonna be biting and luck favors the prepared. I have a pier cart so it's easy to load all the gear and roll it.

You really only need a rod or two like 7ft and 4000 size reel and you could catch most of the fish and enjoy it. Jetty and surf gear will work fine at the pier. Only thing is if it's a crowded pier with regulars they usually like for you to fish what they fish. That's the way the king fishing is at most piers.

What is the gear you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.