Pier and Surf Forum banner

Opinions needed - light braid

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  terryna 
#1 ·
I was using 3000 - 4000 size spinning reels, paired with 30lb Power Pro, for all of my distance casting (slinging lures or rigs). I do have 5000-10000 sized reels, but for a full day of casting for fish that weigh under 5lbs...the smaller reels are way more comfortable (they also have comparible drags).

Because the small size reels didn't hold a lot of line, I ended up dropping down to 15lb braids. The significant difference between the 15 and 30lb line is the length of time that the 30lb last. It has to last 3 times as long and is way less troublesome. Of course, I feel like I can cast lighter lures, further. It feels to be close to the same when casting a rig with a sinker.

Lately, I've been having issues out of most 14-16lb braids I've used. I spooled up with 16lb test say, 2 months ago. 2 days ago, I got a snag and broke my line trying to pull it loose. You would think that it would break at the knot/down by the swivel. Nope...it broke midline and I had to loose 40+ yards (still have the backing the the remainder of the 150 yrd spool). This is the 2nd time this season (different reel...the other was a wind knot on brand new line). One had slick 8 and the other had spiderwire. I'm on the cusp of trying fireline, but I had sooooo much trouble out of it when I started fishing superlines.

Are you using Braid? What lb test and do you prefer the slick/8 strand over the 4 strand? Outside of the brands mentioned, do you recommend a different brand?

See less See more
#2 ·
Try 10lb crystal fireline.. I've been using it on small spinners 2000-3000 penn clash.. Main thing is have the reel spooled a bit less than full,make sure bail is done manually.. It usually takes about a day or so of watching and making sure there are no loops in the line after each cast,but once it is broke in I never bother looking at the spool.. The stuff is really strong also.. Have it on spools now that are over two years of use.. No mystery breakoffs either..

#4 ·
Even on bottom with no hard structure, thin braid wears on shells and sand especially if you're fishing the other side of a sandbar. Just facts of life. If you've ever seen a fluoro or mono bottom rig turn frosty white after a day or two of use it's from all the abrasion and you're putting tiny woven fibers up to the same abuse.

I like 15 or 20 lb Sufix 832. Best I've found and I like the coating/feel of it. Fireline Crystal isn't bad either but it stands out like a long strand of white tooth floss.

#5 ·
If you are using 2' of flouro leader anyway,the "dental floss color" won't matter anyway.... lol Have fished with the 832 sight casting for cobia,because I had heard it was better than fireline,still using fireline.... Yes both get abrasion,although I fished the jetty here in Hatteras many times and pulled out some nice sized sheephead as well as black drum with it without breakoffs.. You do have to make sure line is ok after a few cast though,would do that with mono as well.......

#6 ·
I have used 10 pound braid exclusively for the last 20 years on my 11 foot surf rods and no issues whatsoever . Most people don't have a clue just how ridiculously strong these lines are , when i used 6 to 8 pound braids i had a couple breakoff's fighting really large fish but with 10 to 14 pound i can horse large fish in with no issues at all.

I have unfortunately hooked into some monster rays as well and had no issues , the drag was set tight and the rod would snap before the braid did , ridiculously strong but not all braids are created equal . You want to find the ones that have a real breaking point of over 20 pounds not the braids that tend to break just a few pounds above the stated test .

As mentioned fused Fireline in 10 and 14 pound are ridiculously strong , Suffix 832 i like also NOT a Power Pro fan. Most use lines that you could pull a car off the ocean floor with , i never do , never had a need , i enjoy how much light line increases the performance of your rod/reel setup.

Don't use light line unless you have a lot of experience with braided lines in general , it's not what i would recommend for newbies and make sure you have a braid friendly reel .

#9 ·
Big difference in the "feel" between 4 strand and 8 strand braid. I am a fan of the Suffix 832 (8 strands, 32 weaves per inch) and I cant saw I've ever tried fireline before. 20 lb 832 will haul in most of anything you might target in the surf. Always the exception like a cobia or shark, but the 5 lb fish you mention will come in like you were using a Warn winch on the front of your truck. And the diameter is about the equivalent of 8lb moon, so your reel should hold a ton of line!

#12 · (Edited)
i first tried the Dawia J braid, in blue 10# a couple of months back trout fishing...long story short and people that fish braid more than I can say it too. Ask and inquire about a braid friendly reel before having expensive braid spooled up! Second or third cast was a cast that broke the mold. Not worth a da** Multiple wind knots. I cut them out, retied tried to work a point while doing some bass fishing. Next cast no good multiple wind knots. The blue slick thread was coming offff.

Tried the Dawia J braid again on specks WITH A braid friendly reel, Stradic 3000 10# test, I wondered if it was just the braid or maybe the reel, Now I know. The reel was a 15 year old Pinnacle with an old design. So here we go again w the Stradic and the second time of trying the Dawia braid.

Absolutely NO more problems whatsoever!! Day after day it casted flawlessly every time. Flathead, the Dawia is a slicker braid than the Power Pro that I had on my other reel that we were using but it performed fine. One thing is if you have to hand line with the slicker J braid you have to be mindful as it is harder to hold even in dry hands. But any experienced angler should know this. As the guy at the tackle shop in Nags Head said is that the Dawia braid ( and I can relate from using it) is less abrasive on the rod guides and is smoother casting. I am a believer in it but have only experience w it on specks and nothing of any size.

Flathead, I also try to close my bail manually and even when I didn't there were no worries and I always keep a watchful eye on my spool to make sure there are no loops or tangles around the top of the reel spool even while using all my reels w braid. I am using four or five small spinners w braid from the salt to shakey head largemouth fishing and am confident.

#15 ·
I've downsized quite a bit. I used to have about 30 different rigs, but now I have about 10 reels and say 15 rods. The reels usually serve double duty on 2 - 3 different rods. The Smaller reels see the most work. They could be casting 1/4 jigs/spinners on a 6' ultralight or heaving 4-5 oz of lead tied to a rig on a 11 or 13 footer....or chucking 3 oz lures @ surface feeding schoolies on a 10' rod. I don't dare use an 11 footer and 3oz or larger...on 10lb line...and whip it as hard as I can. That's a ton of force. When I loose a fish it's usually because my cast has left the spool near empty (knot failure from excessive drag), too small or the wrong hook (fishing panfish but hook a monster)...or some other operator error 🙂

I am going to give the 15lb Crystal a try on my PTia and the Suffix in the NASCI.

Thank you guys for the input

#17 · (Edited)
Just spoke with a professional about the J braid...........he says stay away from the x4(4 strands) and use only the x8(8 strands) and you will love it..........x4 has more wind knots on spinning reels............he said x8 was every bit as good as PP and Suffix 832.......I am going to try it. A 300 yard spool is $5-10 less than PP and Suffix.......not worried about the color or fading because I use a fluoro leader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.