Surf Report: Lynnhaven Inlet

Thread: Lynnhaven Inlet

Lynnhaven Inlet

Fished the side by the boat ramps from 7-10am yesterday. Ended up being the incoming tide, but didn't plan on it specifically. Caught 1 puppy drum pretty close to the shore in less than 2ft of water on a Kastmaster spoon. Thought it was a keeper, but ended up being an inch short. Nothing on bloodworm fishbites, or fresh finger mullet and peanut bunker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Seemed slow there in the afternoon/evening. I've been so tempted by reports of gator trout in the area and all I caught were some little babies.

Good job, thanks for the report.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Fished yesterday afternoon. The specks were concentrated in certain areas...mostly small but some keepers in the mix. They ignored my Bass Assassins but were all over the Gulp. I never used Gulp before but it seemed to make a difference. Managed 14.5", 17" and 20" specks. Also landed one small pup. Something else pulled a lot of drag, got off and bit off half my lure... probably another pup. Thought I saw a seal (not the naval) cruise by.

Name:  IMG_3422.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3426.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  124.2 KB

Pretty work, nice report, thanks.

Can you park and fish off the shore like before? Walk under the bridge? We haven’t been since the parking was blocked off for construction. One of my fiancé s favorite spots.

The parking lot on the Crab Creek side next to the new bridge that is for cars only is opened back up. No more stuffing dollar bills into a tight hole to pay for parking.

The new parking spot fees are paid by credit card in key pad machines that are located in the same spots where the old dollar bill takers used to be. $3.00 for all day and no parking spot numbered box to stuff your $$$ into, you enter your license plate number on the key pad instead.

I was told by one of the guys that works the launch ramp for the city that the VB parking meter folks and the VB Cops check it regularly, the cost for not paying the $3.00 is a $40.00 fine.

The beach is not as big as it used to be due to the way the water runs through the inlet now with the new bridge design, at high tide you get wet walking on rocks around to the inside of the inlet towards the mouth of Crab Creek.

The beach on the other/east side of the inlet next to the bridge where the Duck Inn used to be is all but gone.

Thanks for the update jay B

Quote Originally Posted by 6ftAsian View Post
    Can you park and fish off the shore like before? Walk under the bridge? We haven’t been since the parking was blocked off for construction. One of my fiancé s favorite spots.
    Yes, you can walk under the bridge on both sides now. You can also stand and fish from the large rectangular concrete pads at the bottom of the bridge pilings closest to the shore. You have to pay to park on the ramp side, but it's a shorter walk and there are bathrooms. It's free to park on the street on the other side where the gazebo is, and they cleaned up all the broken concrete and other debris that was there earlier in the year.

The guys that work for the city at the Crab Creek boat ramp told me there will be signs coming soon that state "Keep Off" the concrete bases to the bridge towers. We'll see how long that lasts.

The ones closest to the beach on the Crab Creek side only have 3' - 4' of water in front of them.

4-5:30pm yesterday on the old Duck-Inn side, outgoing tide. Nothing on lures or bottom fishing with frozen squid, frozen mullet, or bloodworm fishbites. Cast net crew was out in full force, and did see some cobb sized mullet pulled in. There were some other people fishing, but nothing brought in with a rod and reel.

Fished the outgoing tide last Saturday afternoon in the inlet. Did Gulp vs. Procure vs. plain plastic. The trout weren't biting well but expected as much with sunny clear blue skies. Still managed two keepers 16" and 17" neither of which were caught with scented lures. The 17" hit on a Haw River white grub. The 16" bit a bubble gum pink Zoom while fishing for stripers once the sun set. Didn't hear any stripers popping bait and didn't hook into any.